Jim

95 Corrado VR6 Classic Green - £2500

Time to take a run at this.

For sale is my 1995 Corrado VR6 in Classic Green. I've owned this car now for about 7 years, and honestly didn't think I'd ever sell having finally worked my way to a VR6.. but having owned 4 of these cars now over the last 15 years I'm starting to yearn to move on to something else, and unfortunately there's only room for one car in the garage so my Corrado has to go.

It's got approx. 201,500 miles on the clock and an *extremely* comprehensive service history, and a pile of reciepts an inch thick - with literally thousands and thousands of pounds spent in the time I've owned it. Factor in my original purchase price and the work I've had done over the years and I think my total outlay is something insane like £15,000.

In the last two years years, work undertaken includes:

* Complete engine rebuild undertaken by Stealth Racing - full top and bottom end rebuild, replacement of timing chains & tensioners, mildly overbored bottom end with new Mahle pistons, all gaskets and seals replaced. New fuel pump fitted. (£4000). New VAG engine wiring loom installed. Head gasket replaced. New 'crack pipe' installed. New oil pump, new water pump.

* Full 'Roose Motorsport' silicone hose set in black (trying to retain a bit more of an OE look!) installed.

* Refurbished injectors.

* AP coilover suspension installed, including new top mounts & bearings front and rear (£400)

* Heater matrix replaced with new OE replacement

* Refurbished original Speedline alloy wheels and new tyres.

* New radiator and auxiliary water pump.

* Front Wheel bearings replaced with genuine VW parts.

* New bonnet cable installed.

Additional highlights include Eibach Antiroll Bars, 288mm brakes, a good condition leak free genuine VW exhaust system (now obsolete), powdercoated / refurbished subframe and crossmembers. Engine pulls nice and smooth and despite the mileage the gearbox is also very smooth / quiet and crunch free. Audi TT windscreen wipers replace the well known abysmal standard Corrado items. Car benefits from a high quality CAT1 alarm and immobiliser system - installation certificate for this is provided. Interior is in very good overall condition - comes with first aid kit and original tool kit / jack / spare wheel in the boot.

There are countless other jobs I've undertaken. Electrically everything works - heaters, spoiler, mirrors, sunroof, stereo, etc.

Weak spot and the reason for the low price is the body work which is probably below average. Passenger front wing is bubbling up with rust, front end is stonechipped, most panels have some marks / scuffs on them, and rust is needing attention on the sill on the passenger rear wheel arch. Think there is a bit of rust lurking around the filler cap flap area too.

It still polishes up and looks beautiful from a small distance, but doesn't stand up to scrutiny up close!

Spend a 1-2 thousand on bodywork and this car would be as good as any other Corrado out there. Additionally since the replacement fuel pump, the fuel level sender is reading lower than it actually is. This simply needs adjusting (I guess the new fuel pump housing is a different size to the old one).

I just undertook a 170 mile round trip this weekend and the car returned up to 37MPG according to the trip computer!

It's extremely hard to know where to price the car but I think given the mountain of work that's been done and the value of some parts fitted, £2500 is where I want to be.

MOT is until June 2017.

I also have a random assortment of spares and bits I've accumulated over the years of Corrado ownership for various models I'd throw in if the asking price is met. Value of those must easily be a £200+ (refurbished BBS solitude wheel with nearly new tyre, black parcel shelf, etc etc).

Gallery of pictures now available here: http://imgur.com/a/bPT7Y

Waaay too cheap!

200,000+ miles and tatty bodywork - I think I'm trying to be realistic, but really hard to tell!

I would've gone 3500ono. Felt like a kick in the knackers reading that! Comprehensive mechanical overhaul shouldn't be placed in the cheapo section for me.

Really sorry you have decided to sell Jim. I know you have had a kind of love hate thing with you current car for some time. Bearing in mind you have owned Corrado's over 15 years, I can kind of understand why you feel the need to move on and try something different.

Just my two pence but even with the bodywork issues its seem an absolute steal for 2.5k, especially considering the work you have done on the mechanical side of things and the service history etc.

Like you say difficult to put a value on at the moment as prices are all over the place, but I would say 3k and over is realistic.

I sincerely hope when you do sell, you wont be cutting ties with the forum/CCGB completely.

Edited by axcel01uk

Thanks for your comments - they're much appreciated. I think I've been a part of this scene for so long I'll never be far from it. I think I do intend to step down from the CCGB as I have been trying to do for a long time - I want to be able to help out Corrado enthusiasts still by arranging events, helping with merchandise and bits like I've done in the past.. but want it to be on my terms - I'm just burned out from the expectation to deliver stuff just because of my position in the club. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it's taken a massive toll on me in the last couple of years and I just need to step away from it.

In terms of the price, I've never been about extracting maximum money for the car - I just want it to go to someone who has enthusiasm for these cars and wants to roll his/her sleeves up and fix the stuff I've just ran out of movtivation to tackle. I'd rather sell for a reasonable price and make an easy sale than hang on for every last penny and struggle to find a buyer.

Echo the above with the engine work done it's got to be at least 4k mate

Good luck with the sale though mate

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Edited by Jon_vr6

oh dear, a sad sad day :(

i read this ad but didnt clock the poster

sorry to read this Jim - i, as i guess were others too, hoping your enthusiasm & happy bunny would return once you got it back from stealth

Sad day mate

If your lucky like me your mother in-law has a garage and no car problem solved.. :)

I'm thinking also that £2500 is to low considering all the work done on the oily bits etc.

How bad is the body work? as that's is really what going to lose or make your money....

Edited by Dogma

Is it a case where you'll feel happier to stand down from CCGB if you also sell the car?

If CCGB folds its not because of anything you've done or not done, its because times have changed since its inception.

Stand down, keep the car and enjoy it.

With a £2K paint job will it be a £7K car?

Sad times Jim . I can understand why your doing it though . Hope you sell the car quickly and smoothly.

Indeed a sad day Jim. Kind of had a feeling for a while you might though, given the frustration you've experienced over the last couple of years.

Who knows though, like others you may find that it leave a gap in your life you just won't be able to fill, and you'll be back before too long! :nuts:

I thought about saying a few words inline with above, but decided to leave it as it would destroy an advert.. But as 11 people have now.... I'm going to say sorry to see the corrado go and best of luck with the new motor.... Any clues or just keeping the ST.

Keeping the ST for now (which honestly I love.. two years in almost and it's just been sheer joy) but also had a hankering to get my motorbike license for quite a while so may go down that route... not sure yet. Or maybe BMW of some sort.

Just know I need a change.

Sad day mate

If your lucky like me your mother in-law has a garage and no car problem solved.. :)

I'm thinking also that £2500 is to low considering all the work done on the oily bits etc.

How bad is the body work? as that's is really what going to lose or make your money....

Body work honestly is the weak spot as detailed in the advert. It's had paint in the past in a few places, and you can see where it wasn't done properly. Bonnet has gone spotty and stone chipped, front bumper has lots of chips and marks, rust on one wing, rust on passenger side sill at the rear, marks / chips / rust spots at the bottom of the doors. Rust coming up in places on the tailgate. I've always been about sorting the mechanical stuff and always put the bodywork in second place.

I think it's pretty solid underneath though as it treated by the previous owner some years back! Certainly never seen any major spots of alarm when I've seen it on the ramps over the years.

Even with your bodywork "issue" I think you've priced it cheap !

£3-£3.5k,seems about right,but you've probably priced it too sell,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As echoed above sad times mate.

Hope sale goes well and very Good example for the price all things considered also echo that's too cheap but priced to sell I would assume so won't be around long

Best of luck bud

Sent from my SM-G357FZ using Tapatalk

Keeping the ST for now (which honestly I love.. two years in almost and it's just been sheer joy) but also had a hankering to get my motorbike license for quite a while so may go down that route... not sure yet. Or maybe BMW of some sort.

Just know I need a change.

Her you go Jim... Spotted it the other day...

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C792839

Haha - I don't have that kind of money unfortunately.

I spent it all on the Corrado :(

Hi mate - will get some sorted in the next couple of days of the car as she sits today but I have various recent'ish photos which I'll try and email over to you later this evening?

Body work honestly is the weak spot as detailed in the advert. It's had paint in the past in a few places, and you can see where it wasn't done properly. Bonnet has gone spotty and stone chipped, front bumper has lots of chips and marks, rust on one wing, rust on passenger side sill at the rear, marks / chips / rust spots at the bottom of the doors. Rust coming up in places on the tailgate. I've always been about sorting the mechanical stuff and always put the bodywork in second place.

I think it's pretty solid underneath though as it treated by the previous owner some years back! Certainly never seen any major spots of alarm when I've seen it on the ramps over the years.

Even tho.. you state there is a bit of work to do on the body, at this point in time I think £3,000 to £3,500 is a fair price, as you have put so much

effort in to the oily bits and I'm sure the new owner would be more then happy knowing that! After all it's easier to live with a car with poor paint etc than one with a poorly running engine.

I wish you all the best with the sale and hope its a painless one ;)