Stone0311

Paint Debacle

Now nearing the end of a long saga, I thought it maybe of benefit to post this story in case it helps others.

Around 6yrs ago my C went in for a full respray in the original colour of Helios Blue, when it came to reassembly and the 'Corrado' badge was put back on the car (which hadn't been painted in the new paint) it was a totally different colour; this led to massive arguements which were never settled - respray went back on the to-do list.

Once I started my transplant I wanted the engine bay to look pukka, so found a reputable painter late last year, explained what had happened and booked in in for a bay spray with a view to getting the body done once the engine was in; all looked good with the bay looking more like the colour I remembered.

So work continued with me nearing the point of the engine going back in, had a few small rust spots that appeared on the firewall in plain sight so looked to do a local repair myself - ordered a few more rattle cans from Autopaint and away we went.

Came to lacquer this week and stripped the masking to find yet another massive difference in colour!

In looking for resolution, took some the engine parts I had body coloured myself and went looking for some original paint for comparison - boot floor result, and my rattle cans were bang on.

Bit more digging and a call to Autopaint and mystery solved:

There 3 VW Helios Blues: LA5Y, LV5E and LV5Y all of which are quite significantly different but under the same name - it would appear that not all manufactures make all 3 and will sent one in lieu of another or if your bodyshop just asks for 'Helios Blue' then you could get anyone of the 3.

I appreciate there probably arent many C's in Helios Blue (led to believe it only ran for the first 6mnths) but thought this story might save another the same nightmare with another colour, Got to mention the guys at Autopaint, St Helens for their help and product - will be ordering the paint myself for the body :)

As Im currently short of running gear to get it to a bodyshop, Im going to see what finish I can achieve in the bay with cans, few Qs if anyone can assist:

> Even though im overspraying good paint that will be keyed, should I prime anyway? I lean towards always using Primer but haven't ever needed to paint over new paint

> Whats the crack with Scotch pads to key? Never used them - Pros/Cons, Which type/colour etc

Thanks

Its probably VW/German logic at play here Dragon green corrado's have a paint code of LC6P but at some point mid 90's, Emerald Green was used on the Mk3 Golf but with the same paint code as Dragon Green.

I think helios blue was originally a mk2 golf colour so I'm guessing in your case the paint shop has gone from the 1st one they came acrosss and no doubt Vw have changed the shade depending on the vehicle it was applied to.

I didn't realise this until i had some work done and the body shop pointed it out which was lucky.

Helios was first used on MK1 campaigns in 1983 and again on MK2 campaigns in 1988

Yeah that's 2 of the colours I've got - out of curiosity any idea where the 3rd fits in?

Mine should be the colour of the mk2 above

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I didn't know there was a third, but the world is a big place so maybe a non U.K. Colour?

Campaign ( or anniversary) every 5 years so it would suggest mk3 golf in 93 but I've never seen one

On a similar note i left my corrado in for a respray last week - the car is flash red with one code but the painter asked if i would like choose a shade for it?. i said there is only one code for it. But he explained to me that during manufacture all car companies reguraly change paint suppliers and all are slightly different- i just asked for a shade as close as possible to the existing.

Bear in mind that the paint is 20 odd years old now too, so unless it's been cut back and well protected recently, it'll show some signs of age/fading. Inside the boot where it's not or has less lacquer is best for Base coat colour, and door shuts where you'll get a good idea of what it was like at factory.

Sounds like a sticky could be useful to pool all the knowledge on codes and pits falls 👍

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I had similar troubles with my Brilliant Black LA9V, 3 different shades. very frustrating at the time.