Walsey

So, are they worth it?

I think that the value of a similar condition mk1 or 2 comes down to the fact that everyone knows what a Golf is whereas not many people are familiar with a Corrado.

Not too sure about that.

Every show I have been at not 1 person has said what car is that ?

Everone has to realise that the Golf has long been a star for Vw so is far better followed even more so than the beetle.

The corrado is remembered for its stunning shape but not its history.

I am more upset that top gear chose the VR only to be a future classic when I think all models should be due to their short lifetime !

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

It is possible to enjoy a car with character that needs a bit more driver input than a new car. My DBP VR6 has a clutch release bearing that's failing, it gives a little chirp when pulling away, it will randomly stall every second or third journey. It has no radio as I like the peace and engine note and there's a lot to be said for driving an old car with a cable throttle.
I think character is what makes the corrado desirable, I don't think there's many people who've driven one and didn't understand it's low slung attitude.

It's why it's more interesting than any golf for me, I just have to tolerate and agree with everyone who says "nice scirocco"...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I would agree that within the VW scene the Corrado is still well respected, but step outside that and you quite often find people who have no clue what it is (they've heard of the current Scirocco obviously, but often they didn't even know that's a remake).

Talking of which, the latest facelift Scirocco. Is it just me or is it quite ugly?

A Corrado is for life, not just for the MOT.

I would agree that within the VW scene the Corrado is still well respected, but step outside that and you quite often find people who have no clue what it is (they've heard of the current Scirocco obviously, but often they didn't even know that's a remake).

Talking of which, the latest facelift Scirocco. Is it just me or is it quite ugly?

A Corrado is for life, not just for the MOT.

It has gone well downhill.

I said to my Mrs the other day the more its been facelifted the worse it looks.

Just take a look at the rear and the dead straight line that sits under the tail gate.

Yep pretty ugly to be honest.

I remember the first concepts of what people thought we be the new corrado and they looked stunning

Edited by Dazz_G60_Wales

it's been 7 years since I last drove a Corrado

I think that could well be mine!

Was just thinking hold on, I bought mine about 7 years ago from a chap in Cornwall with a similar name...

Anyway, still got it 7 years later. It's served me well... few bumps and scrapes along the way but is still pretty solid. I've got a thread on here if you fancy having a look, although I have to admit I'm not very good at keeping it updated.

If it's the 94 Aqua Blue VR6 in your sig then yes that was probably me, but it would have been a bit longer than 7 years ago you bought it, I had another one after that! Glad to hear you still have it!

So, anyone near Bath and can have a look at a car for me? :D

Edited by Walsey

Is this the Walesy of old reincarnated as Walsey, or somebody completely different :scratch:

Anyway, can't believe tatty old VR6s are fetching 8-9K! I bet most of them have knackered engines, so another £3k needed on top for a freshen up or R32 conversion!

Yeah 'tis I, couldn't get into my old account so had to register a new one, hope you're well Mr Haywire? :D

In reply to the original question 'So, are they worth it?' Absolutely, one hundred percent ......... if you get a good one! I don't drive mine that often but I took it out today & for a twenty one year old car it still put's a smile on my face. After all this time it looks fantastic, goes, sounds & handles really well & they are increasingly rare & still feel special. I think they still represent really good value for the enthusiast.

Also out today Sun shining stopped at a pub for a safe pint with the Mrs.

Everyone who came in after just looked at it,you dont get that with yer average ford focus .

I remember back in my capri days when it was all about go faster stripes and twin webber carbs but when a jenson interceptor or a renault alpine went past you just stared at it with awe.

Thats us now lol

Edited by Dazz_G60_Wales

Also out today Sun shining stopped at a pub for a safe pint with the Mrs.

Everyone who came in after just looked at it,you dont get that with yer average ford focus .

I remember back in my capri days when it was all about go faster stripes and twin webber carbs but when a jenson interceptor or a renault alpine went past you just stared at it with awe.

Thats us now lol

I remember that exact feeling, ha ha, i must be getting old, as that put a smile on my face

I bought mine in 2001 for 9.5k with 77k miles on it. It now has 101000k miles and I've spent about 5-6k keeping it maintained. It's been in storage more often than it's been out. I thought about selling it several times over the years but now I know I'll never sell it. My boy loves it so it'll probably be part of his inheritance someday. Lol. I used to be very pickey about keeping the vw service history and stuff but now I do everything myself with it and this has rejouvinated my interest in the car. I know it's history, everything now works yes because everything broke but all the trials and tribulations along the way are part of it's character to me. I wouldn't sell mine for £20k. I honestly don't care if people think they're too cheap or too expensive. Just my 2p

I bought mine in 2001 for 9.5k with 77k miles on it. It now has 101000k miles and I've spent about 5-6k keeping it maintained. It's been in storage more often than it's been out. I thought about selling it several times over the years but now I know I'll never sell it. My boy loves it so it'll probably be part of his inheritance someday. Lol. I used to be very pickey about keeping the vw service history and stuff but now I do everything myself with it and this has rejouvinated my interest in the car. I know it's history, everything now works yes because everything broke but all the trials and tribulations along the way are part of it's character to me. I wouldn't sell mine for £20k. I honestly don't care if people think they're too cheap or too expensive. Just my 2p ��

Couldn't agree more - I've had my vr6(my second one after a g60) for about 5 years now and although I've not done many miles as its a second car,I'd rather have it sat doing nothing in the garage than sell it, although I nearly put it up for sale a while ago because I just don't use it much. Thank god I saw sense!!!

Can't understand why people don't use them as a sunny day / vw festivals - classic car shows.

My answer is for your daily to be an absolutely basic boring car.

I have a fiesta 1.4 tdi

Its cheap to run and cheap on road tax.

That way it costs me the same insured and taxed for both cars as it would for a newish bmw/audi etc.

Also as the fiesta is not a sports car when I get in my corrado it's a joy to feel how a proper sports car drives.

Just my feelings on it

Edited by Dazz_G60_Wales

Then again if I needed the money, I could take 4k for it next year! Lol

it would have been a bit longer than 7 years ago you bought it, I had another one after that!

Don't know if you had another after, but I definitely bought it May 2010! Couldn't believe it was as much as seven years when I realised the other day... sobering. It's here if you fancy having a look anyway, still going strong: http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?49765-oneohtwo-s-VR6-New-Wheels!&p=1163738#post1163738

Can't help you out with Bath I'm afraid, London based these days... Definitely think they're worth it though!

Nobody wants the converted ones, Kev. Even with the more modern, powerful, economical motor it's only the completely standard original cars that are holding their value.

In hindsight I should've rebuilt my vr and then turbo, than going for the 24v conversion.

The modified cars will follow, maybe not a quick or high but they will. Look at the ford scene now, so many classics running duratek engines and asking serious money for them

Can't understand why people don't use them as a sunny day / vw festivals - classic car shows.

My answer is for your daily to be an absolutely basic boring car.

I have a fiesta 1.4 tdi

Its cheap to run and cheap on road tax.

That way it costs me the same insured and taxed for both cars as it would for a newish bmw/audi etc.

Also as the fiesta is not a sports car when I get in my corrado it's a joy to feel how a proper sports car drives.

Just my feelings on it

Not everyone has the luxury of a cheap daily, my 6R costs a fortune to run daily :):) and when my rado is finally back on the road I have a feeling it will feel slow :(

Well I never. Another one looking to return to the fold. Exactly the same reason Im on here today. How you doing Walsey?

Still wish id never sold the G60. Cant believe the price of them now. :(

I also think that the higher prices are flushing some of the better ones out. If everything works and they are pretty clean people will pay that bit more rather than buy cheap and spend a fortune on repairs and parts they can't get hold of. There's also more cash about than 5 years ago. But whichever car you are after you will always get some git over pricing some rusty unreliable nail.

I also think that the higher prices are flushing some of the better ones out. If everything works and they are pretty clean people will pay that bit more rather than buy cheap and spend a fortune on repairs and parts they can't get hold of. There's also more cash about than 5 years ago. But whichever car you are after you will always get some git over pricing some rusty unreliable nail.
I mention buying cheap because i think half the joy of owning a rare car is making it your own and not just buying a car that someone else has done all the work on,it never really becomes yours you are almost having it on loan.

If the engine has history and the bodys not crumbling it is still a joy to try and get it to a good standard.

But each to his own.

Both my corrados were projects to make my own aswell Dazz, one very much still is. Not everyone has time money and space to see them through though, I question my own sanity at times.

In my earlier post I was suggesting maybe why they were fetching more money than they were, I also think being on wheeler Dealers helped a bit getting the ball rolling.

Thats fine Shaun it was only my opinion but I can see why others would want ready to go.

I have just finished tinkering with mine for 3 weeks and 150 pounds of parts only for it to break down on the way to the welsh volksfest Friday with a charging fault.

But as pi$$ed as I was it could have just as easy happened to a car you just paid 6 or 7 grand for ?