VR6Andy

Oh dear..!!

Anyone had this...the rear shock top mount has rusted through in a few places...can the spot welds be drilled out and another one welded in..??dbbbb0d82d71d823a5cdd35080b8057f.jpg1a21535042d7c782760c8be7492c927b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

be3e203a16054466f08c39e48f9f5386.jpg40df34b8a38335adb0a46b2847611dd4.jpgc90824481196e37a808fca6ba134e17e.jpgeceeeff0388f144c0b647dd9b7821a6a.jpg

Just removed all the interior and carpet ready for a spot of welding next week...hope I can remember where everything goes...!!!!

Noticed Blue Perl written on the exhaust tunnel....any one else noticed that before on a Storm or did they write on all of them..???

It seems odd it doesn't say "blau" rather then "blue". Sounds more like a Tintin adventure.

There's some writing on mine in a similar area but I can't remember what it say.

Good luck with the welding. DIY?

Local bodyshop....had work done by them in the past and always been really good...!! Have never done any welding but it’s always something I’ve wanted to have a go at..!!!

Holy cow, that is some rot! I've never seen a Corrado fall apart there, how strange.

Welding is **** easy. Buy yourself a Clarke T135E Mig welder from Machine Mart and just weld loads of random crap for practice. It's really not that hard at all. Will save you a fortune in professional repairs.

Lack of rear arch liners makes the under seal fair game to debris being chucked up, u just need a small hole in the under seal allowing water ingress and resulting water sitting against the panel. Had a mk2 that was completely destroyed, yet under seal looked fine.

If that’s the only bit it may be more cost effective to let a garage do the remediation rather than buy a welder, also the suspension mount will take some degree of skill to not end up looking a mess.

Noticed Blue Perl written on the exhaust tunnel....any one else noticed that before on a Storm or did they write on all of them..???

My green storm has the writing, as did my grey valver

2166f326e9546577178c98dece4ccea6.jpg

Yep that’s what I thought...I managed to find a really good rear turret from a Mk2 golf and have drilled out the top cup spot welds...Just need to drill out the rotten one ..!!

I did find it was strange it was worse on the drivers side as it’s normally the passenger side that gets the most crap..!!!

If it’s bad there, best be checking the back of the fuel cap as that area is prone to the same, lots of space for dirt/moisture to accumulate up about there

Take your petrol tank out and check the upper mounting point, along with where the solenoid actuator pin for the fuel cap lock comes through. Mine, although mint everywhere else, is very rotten up there quite badly. Chances are you'll find rot there if your rotten at the right rear strut top.