VR-Sixy

Starting Problem

Mr Corrado has been playing up the last week or so. Last sunday morning, started perfectly, ran out to a couple of local places in the morning and then home. Come lunchtime, it would not start up for love nor money. It's kicking over nicely as a new battery was fitted in November. It fires up, runs for around half to three-quarters of a second, then just cuts out.

It was like this all day Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of this week - kicking over, firing runnig very briefly then cutting out. I had it flat-bedded over to my garage and they looked at it all day Thursday which by this time it was sounding a bit rough. Friday morning they popped the bonnet, turned it over and it started up as if nothing was wrong. I went and collected it yesterday afternoon and it was perfect for the rest of the day and early evening.

Went out this morning for a local run into Chertsey, no problems and got back home. Went out just now to go shopping and it's doing it again.

Would anyone know what's happening here as i'm a bit distraught now? It wants to go, but it just cuts out after about one second.

Please, if anyone can throw any light on this i would be eternally grateful....

Thanks.

Cutting out after a second or so is usually the factory immobiser.

Try a spare key?

Hi Dox,

mines an after market immobiliser, an Autowatch 160RLI which was fitted long before i bought the car. Not sure why it would start perfectly this morning then refuse to start after an

hour........

Hi,

Have you changed any bulbs in the interior latley or anyhthing when the key has been in the ingnition.

Get a torch and and look at the fuses and see if any are burnt out , if so that will be your problem as it happened to me.

I would consider upgrading up to a Toad Ai606.

Edited by Keyo

Hello Dox,

tried the spare key but still no joy. It doesn't look like the key is programmed in any way - it's just the standard key i've always used........

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96424[/ATTACH]

Hi,

Have you changed any bulbs in the interior latley or anyhthing when the key has been in the ingnition.

Get a torch and and look at the fuses and see if any are burnt out , if so that will be your problem as it happened to me.

I would consider upgrading up to a Toad Ai606.

Hi ya,

no, nothing changed while the key was in the ignition. As i said, it started perfectly this morning go to where i need to be and got back again. Half an hour later needed to go out again and it wouldn't start.

Any codes coming up on VAG ? Still have a look at your fuses mate one might be on the way out. My car started and cut out after about half a second same as you. As mentioned though prime supect is immoboliser.Could be many things his one Im afraid. When it cuts out are the elctrics still working in the car (power supply) ?

Edited by Keyo

If yours is a late car it will have a chip built into the key, it’s read by a coil around the ignition switch which can also give you problems. As can the immobiliser box of tricks itself.

Relay 109 is also a suspect

A scan should reveal if the car is being “blocked by immobiliser “

If yours is a late car it will have a chip built into the key, it’s read by a coil around the ignition switch which can also give you problems. As can the immobiliser box of tricks itself.

Relay 109 is also a suspect

A scan should reveal if the car is being “blocked by immobiliser “

Ah, OK - thanks for that. Appreciate your suggestions guys. I'll pass these one to the guys at the garage........

Ah, OK - thanks for that. Appreciate your suggestions guys. I'll pass these one to the guys at the garage........

Best of luck I would get one of these beauties mate dont cost much.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vgate-Scan-VS450-Fault-Code-Reader-Engine-ABS-AIR-BAG-for-VW-Audi-Seat-Skoda/221097686022?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I have a suggestion.... ignition switch! Have you ever changed it as this is a known problem. Cheap enough to do and very very fiddly, but is a quick way to rule this out. I think there is a 'how to' on here here somewhere.

I have a suggestion.... ignition switch! Have you ever changed it as this is a known problem. Cheap enough to do and very very fiddly, but is a quick way to rule this out. I think there is a 'how to' on here here somewhere.
This thought had crossed my mind as well Cressa and i'll suggest it to the garage guys too. Not had a new one in a quite a while now, so yes, definitely something to bear in mind. That's right up there with the possibilities.

Thanks for your idea.

Would you believe it started up this morning!! Been running around since 11am and it's been fine - like nothing was ever wrong!

Do you think it's still worth replacing the 109 relay and putting in a new ignition switch though?

109 relay cost under £10

To replace Ignition it will take you more time.

Check out top cam shaft position sensor.

Does it cut off once its running?

109 relay cost under £10

To replace Ignition it will take you more time.

Check out top cam shaft position sensor.

Does it cut off once its running?

Hi Karmanski, once it's running it's fine - it doesn't cut out at all. I had a new crank sensor last year so i don't think it's that to be honest. The guys at the garage replaced the ignition switch at least a few years ago now, so i think i'm going to get both of these parts replaced and see where we go from there.

Sorry for butting in.Have seen posts about ignition switch,what go’s wrong with them.How do you check it.

I'm talking about Camshaft (TOP) position sensor, it may be that the plug does not sit property.
Thanks again.... can you give me an idea where this so i can inform my garage guys??

Thanks mate!!

It is under the HT lead trim on the side of the engine , really is a 5 minute job to replace, make sure you get a VW cam sensor they are still available.

Part number

021907601A

This is the cheapest I could find and purchased a month back.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wheel-Speed-Sensor-Speedo-Impulse-Replacement-Spare-Part-VM-Part-021907601A/292799763784?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I’d agree with Keyo about the scanner. You’ll need a obd1 adaptor aswell more than likely, they come in at a hefty £2-£3 off fleebay too. Could also be fuel pump relay giving up intermittently or when warm.

Good luck chap.

I know it’s been a while since you had this problem. Did you ever resolve the issue?  I have a 90 g60 doing the same thing. I have been searching and this is the only time I have seen the same problem.