mooG60

Radiator Top Flange Leaking

I fitted a new top flange on my radiator and now it is leaking 100 times worse.

I had a very very slight leak from the joint and thought it would be best to fix so I bought a new flange and seal from VW Heritage.

Now it is literally pouring out (albeit slow) and it seems that there is no seal contact at all. The seal they supplied looks a smaller diameter and different profile than the one removed from the car. I tried the old seal with the new flange but it was the same result.

Is there a silicone type sealer I can use to try and get this sealed?

There was no type of sealer on the old flange I removed, but I removed the flange from and old rad I had in the garage and that one had some kind of thin layer of silicone sealer.

Any ideas/help please chaps?

You shouldn’t need any sealant on the flange, perhaps you have been sent the wrong seal ? that or there’s an issue with the radiator

You shouldn’t need any sealant on the flange, perhaps you have been sent the wrong seal ? that or there’s an issue with the radiator

I'll 2nd that. Should only need the correct rubber o ring.

The old seal will be a different shape too though anyway, as it will have deformed under use. But definitely worth checking that you got the right one. The other bad news is that sometimes this happens because the plastic fitting for the elbow on the radiator itself is warped - and in that case the only solution is a new radiator and elbow flange - but lets hope a new seal will sort it - make sure not to over tighten it as well, as this can cause damage as well.

It is a VW part yes.

It does feel as if the seal makes contact when I push the flange in to place but the way it leaks the same amount with either the new or old seal in place makes me think that fendervg is correct in saying the bottom section is warped.

Dang it!

Thank you all for the replies.

Hmm. That's a shame - the old one had probably warped to match the flange on the rad, and now a new one won't mate perfectly.

At this point I'd probably replace the radiator as even if you get it to seal for now, chances are if you end up getting the car really hot in traffic one day, you're sitting on a bit of a time bomb in terms of not knowing good that seal really is.

I decided to order a rad last night. it is pointless messing around, a bit upsetting over a bit of plastic but there you go.

Thanks for the input guys :thumbleft:

This happened to me last year too. I endered up ordering a new rad from vwspares.co.uk. Hella one, it's much better. I'll be test fitting the elbow this week and saying some prayers.

This happened to me last year too. I endered up ordering a new rad from vwspares.co.uk. Hella one, it's much better. I'll be test fitting the elbow this week and saying some prayers.

I ordered a Hella rad from Euro spares as they had a 55% sale on. I've just picked it up and discovered it's wrong. The box is listed for Golf Mk1 Mk2. There was no picture on the website so I took the gamble.

VW Heritage have non in stock, so I've just checked vwspares and they list the non air conditioned as no longer available.

Do you (or anybody else) know where I might be able to purchase a rad from please?

Thanks for the reply.

How about this is it the same Hella model from Eurospares you purchased for your G60? Manufacture part number 8MK 376 715-011

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HELLA-ENGINE-COOLING-RADIATOR-8MK-376-715-011-I-NEW-OE-REPLACEMENT/153431100182?epid=650682589&hash=item23b934cb16:g:p~IAAOSwW4hcnB3d

Hold on just realised the seller advertises as London but look closer in Lithuania but I think that is the rad you need.

Mine is a aluminum aftermarket one that is a litlle large but don't half keep the engine cool, only down side is you have to modify the brackets to fit, well the mechanic did,

Edited by Keyo

Hi Keyo

Number on the box I have is 88MK 376 713-334

The ebay spec picture matches the vwspares listing so it does look like the correct one.

It's another option so thanks for the link.

First off I will ask EP if they can get that part number (doubt it), and then I guess ask VW Heritage how long before they get stock. I shall make a decision from there unless anyone else can come to the rescue in the meantime.

Thanks again!

The same happened to me , the elbow started to leak . I bought a new elbow , when I fitted it the captive nut in the rad gave way . I ended up buying a hella rad , then went the whole way and bought the thermostat housing and crack pipe as well .

The same happened to me , the elbow started to leak . I bought a new elbow , when I fitted it the captive nut in the rad gave way . I ended up buying a hella rad , then went the whole way and bought the thermostat housing and crack pipe as well .

When you say "crack pipe" what part do you mean mate?

I bought a Hella rad just b4 Xmas off Ebay, less than a hundred pounds delivered. So well worth searching around. Was for my VR though

Its the same one as this one anyone heard of the brand says oe quality .

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/prasco/12937387

I've never heard of these before.

yesparts have a website and shop so I will ring them tomorrow and see if can wangle some sort of deal out of them.

Edited by mooG60

The distributor is Prasco I believe the manufacturer is AVA cooling have a good reputation.

Edited by Keyo