fendervg

Debate - what makes a Storm a better car than a normal VR?

Spun off from:

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?109962-Corrado-VR6-Storm-deposit-taken/page4

The golden oldie question - why is a a Storm better/more valuable/desirable than a standard late VR, considering the relatively minor and few differences in specification, and considering that you could order a better equipped VR from a dealer? The only way to check that they are genuine is with VW, and they weren't even the last 500 RHD cars off the factory floor.

Of course, the Storm badge adds 5BHP.

Don't get me wrong, I've looked at Storms and even had a hankering after one, but they were nearly always in worse condition than other VRs out there.

IMHO a Storm needs to be kept original and OEM to be worth having - or at least be capable and supplied with the parts needed to get it back to original. If you want to mod/convert, use a standard car. But each owner has their own take on this.

Let's see what you think.

Tbh my ex car had the standard rear wing and solitudes supplied with it. Apart from the coilovers it looked standard from the outside.

I'll keep the same view I had about this several years ago on a similar thread, I don't think the storm models are the holy grail of Corrados, if you had 2 groups parked at opposite ends of a carpark I'd walk to the standard cars first as you don't know what spec they are, then I'd cross the carpark and check out the storms with exactly the same enthusiasm.

I own a DBP with leather and a classic green storm, both standard and SORN ATM - too many cars lol

There's extra weight in the badges, and the layer of paint on the grill. So Storms are definitely slower than a VR. :)

Ha ha, is the gear shift not faster though because of the one on the center console trim, leading the better 0-60 times?

Storms are not for me personally, they are not the colours I go for in a car, I prefer the other shades of blue available, and liked Oak Green on the Mk2 golf.

These are the opinions of those that know the car though. The reason they're sought after is because those that aren't so "in the know", see them as a limited edition. The fact there are only 250 in each colour (or more in classic green (including mine!)) means they are "rare", thus worth more. True, they're not to everyone's colour taste, and green splits opinion but I love it. More than any other green actually. But I think there are better colours out there, and I think aqua blue is far better than mystic personally. Remember you could spec a storm with everything available to the others aside from wheels and recaros. The only things left really were the VDO gauges and aircon! Aircon was added by dealerships, none of the other wheel choices were much kop. What else is there really, a reiger body kit. You can keep it! Lol.

The "rarity" aspect feeds into my point that a Storm needs to be original. I'm not aware of any Storms having been ordered with any factory extras apart from what was in the brochure, except for the Diavia aircon, which was fitted by the dealers in the UK.

The strangest part was that VW were quite happy to supply the badge kits over the counter without needing a chassis number or proof of ownership - over the years we've seen quite a few fake cars, especially in green.

The problem with the mystic blue is when it ages a bit it almost goes like a pink/ purple off colour. I like the the real dark blue like a midnight blue they had on the 964.

Yeah that's it class colour. My dream car would be a 993 C2S in that colour.

Edited by Keyo

It's purely a badge. But a badge that does indeed make it a bit rarer than a regular VR6. I think it helped that the MK1 and MK2 Scirocco's had both had Storm models too so the name had some heritage.

Mystic Blue does look good on a Corrado too, as do Solitudes... :)

But the real holy grail is, for me, the Campaign. I'd love to own one of those, even now.

Yeah, the Campaign is a proper special edition - for rarity's sake though I'd rather have an original VWM VSR.

The G60 Jet was kind of a limited run out budget edition in Europe. I don't think there were ever any specials in the US/Canada.

Yeah, the Campaign is a proper special edition - for rarity's sake though I'd rather have an original VWM VSR.

The G60 Jet was kind of a limited run out budget edition in Europe. I don't think there were ever any specials in the US/Canada.

Very rare but I don't like the interior bit to ornate for my liking, call me boring but Ill stick to black leather.

Campaigns are more rare than a VWM VSR though.

Campaigns are more rare than a VWM VSR though.

I know they're not, but it sure seems like it considering how few ever come up for sale. I've had cash saved twice for one, and spent it again on other things because I never had a chance to buy one!

Personally I’d like to own factory Nothelle VR . That must have cost some dough in the 90s .

Weren’t they built in the uk by Scott’s?

I’m not sure Dox . As far as I’m aware , if you ordered your VR , G60 from VW and had the dough for the Nothelle treatment, the lump was built in Germany.

I know they're not, but it sure seems like it considering how few ever come up for sale. I've had cash saved twice for one, and spent it again on other things because I never had a chance to buy one!

They are pretty rare in all honesty. I've probably only seen 3 for sale in the last 5 years or so. A few more shricks but thats not the same. I've never seen a Campaign for sale, or even seen one in the flesh. A true unicorn car that.

Very rare but I don't like the interior bit to ornate for my liking, call me boring but Ill stick to black leather.

Well, we certainly stick to it in the summer...

Personally the Storm doesn't appeal to me any more these days than a standard VR6. A mate of mine had a green one and we always thought the cream interior should have been continued onto the dashboard (allowing for darker, easier to keep clean carpets). Having the black dash just seemed a bit half-hearted. I think they dug themselves a hole there.

Picture lifted from the internet. volkswagen_corrado_vr6_storm_6.jpeg

Yeah, it's very weird that the center console is all cream, and then it just ends when it hits the black dash.