kickyou73

!5" tyres 2019

Hi All,

As said before 15" tyre options in 2019 are pretty limited.

It's a shame as after 20 years in 3 Corrado's I am convinced the car rides best on the stock tyre size.

The best tyres in this size in my opinion over the years were the Bridgestone RE002's which they stopped making a couple of years ago.

Since then I have been searching for a good replacement but in this size for good handling you need a stiff sidewall and most of the suggestions don't have one.

I don't drive the car like the classic car it now is but more as I always have (very hard).

The good news is I had 4 tyres fitted on Saturday that seem as good as the Bridgestones (great handling, grip and comfort).

They are Hankook Ventus Prime 3 K125 205/50 R15 V and are roughly £60 or £80 fitted.

Anyway hope this helps someone out.

cheers

Paul

Thanks for letting us know Paul, always good to hear another tyre available in our size. I too run the 15s and can't see me changing wheels as like their design.

I have the RE002s on the back and some Uniroyals on the front. They are fine but a bit soft on the sides.

A very subjective topic and depends on many things including, the drivers preference, suspension fitted (brand new uprated - worn out OE), ride height (standard - sump scraping low) and road surfaces (smooth dual carriageway to rutted B roads).

My Corrado has 205 Toyo Proxis on standard tired suspension and speedlines.

Octavia estate (dog / DIYwagon) has 205 55 16 Uniroyal rainsport

TT has 225 40 18 Dunlop Sportmax on tired OE suspension - I like the rim protection

I mainly drive on rutted B roads on my commute, non are harsh, but the Octavia is boat like.

A very subjective topic and depends on many things including, the drivers preference, suspension fitted (brand new uprated - worn out OE), ride height (standard - sump scraping low) and road surfaces (smooth dual carriageway to rutted B roads).

My Corrado has 205 Toyo Proxis on standard tired suspension and speedlines.

Octavia estate (dog / DIYwagon) has 205 55 16 Uniroyal rainsport

TT has 225 40 18 Dunlop Sportmax on tired OE suspension - I like the rim protection

I mainly drive on rutted B roads on my commute, non are harsh, but the Octavia is boat like.

Sorry not quite sure what you are trying to say. My last Corrado was setup by Vince at stealth and we spent 2k on the suspension, on re002 the car handled perfectly and yet was still very comfortable. I also tried Toyo proxies the xl ones that are meant to be a bit stiffer. They were the worst tyres I have ever used in 20 years of driving a Corrado, actually they were dangerous and I took them off after less than 200 miles.

The tyres I recommended are a good replacement for the Bridgestones and a big step up from the Toyo proxies.

^^^^^^^ what tyres are you recommending. Continental contacts is what I had last on 15”, don’t know if they still do them but they were very good.

Sorry not quite sure what you are trying to say. My last Corrado was setup by Vince at stealth and we spent 2k on the suspension, on re002 the car handled perfectly and yet was still very comfortable. I also tried Toyo proxies the xl ones that are meant to be a bit stiffer. They were the worst tyres I have ever used in 20 years of driving a Corrado, actually they were dangerous and I took them off after less than 200 miles.

The tyres I recommended are a good replacement for the Bridgestones and a big step up from the Toyo proxies.

Subjective - we don't drive the same car on the same road.

I never said Toyo was better, plenty have said similar to you, but I've used them all year around and not found a ditch. My commute of 34 miles around trip is rural Cheshire B roads, often with standing water and ungritted in winter at weekends.

Are Avon 205/45 R16 any good for a 16 rim, they were a good price so thought I would give them a bash, but only done about 70 miles in them in good weather.

Subjective - we don't drive the same car on the same road.

I never said Toyo was better, plenty have said similar to you, but I've used them all year around and not found a ditch. My commute of 34 miles around trip is rural Cheshire B roads, often with standing water and ungritted in winter at weekends.

The only way it's subjective is if you drive so slowly that it does not matter which tyres you use. Take a bend at a decent speed with the Toyo's and the sidewalls collapse and flex making the car dangerous at high speed.

I used to swear by the Pirelli P5/6xxx series - had them on my Mk2 GTI, Audi Quattro and 5 years on the Corrado, excellent grip and feel in wet and dry, but you can't get them any more in 205/50/15 sadly.

Currently running Michelin PS3 slightly stretched at 195/50/15, but have to say I'm not overly impressed. I'll be considering both the Hankook and Uniroyal Rainsports when it next comes time to change, but the selection in the original size is getting very slim.

I guess that's another reason a lot of owners are putting 16 inch rims on their cars as there is a much bigger choice at decent prices in that size.

I used to swear by the Pirelli P5/6xxx series - had them on my Mk2 GTI, Audi Quattro and 5 years on the Corrado, excellent grip and feel in wet and dry, but you can't get them any more in 205/50/15 sadly.

Currently running Michelin PS3 slightly stretched at 195/50/15, but have to say I'm not overly impressed. I'll be considering both the Hankook and Uniroyal Rainsports when it next comes time to change, but the selection in the original size is getting very slim.

I guess that's another reason a lot of owners are putting 16 inch rims on their cars as there is a much bigger choice at decent prices in that size.

That's interesting, I use to rate Perilli tyres in till I owned a Mustang GT S550 that had them as stock brand new, The car drove like it was on ice with really bad rear wheel hop, changed them out for some Michelin Pilot sports and it transformed the car. Sometimes I think Large car manufactures do a deal with the tyre manufactures and might not manufacture their tyres to their normal quality to strike up the right price to the car industry,

The Maclaren F1 road car was sold with Goodyear tyres because they sponsored their F1 race team at the time - the brochures mentioned the Goodyears pedigree in racing etc etc.

When you collected your car they gave you a free set of alloys with Michelin tyres because the car performed better on them.....

Interesting that they didn’t give you free toyos which I’ve never drove on due to others’ opinions and write ups.

Interesting that they didn’t give you free toyos which I’ve never drove on due to others’ opinions and write ups.

Ive got two new toyo proxies on my spped lines stored in the garage , If I had know thay had a bad rep there's noway I would of purchased them

Also owned some 18 Hankook Venus on my old R129 SL500 and the car slid out at the back a couple of times, but it was sort of fun.

Edited by Keyo

It’s interesting that some people would spend a max of £50 a corner on tyres and be disappointed that when driven hard the car acts a bit scitty. Wtf, a sports car no matter how old needs grip if driven on the edge, crap suspension and tyres will lead to massive dissatisfaction with performance, fact!

I had a set of Proxes on an old Mk3 Golf, and didn't think they were that bad. Only thing with them is that it's a very soft compound, and they were down to the wear limit after 8k miles!