ChrisL

Moonlight Blue VR6

Nice exhaust Chris.

I’m kind of out of the loop regarding stainless exhausts. But what makes this better than say, a Jetex system ? (Also recommended). 

I’ll be in the market for one for the VR very soon (once it’s up and running). So I’m gathering as much information as possible (would like an exhaust that is pleasant to drive on the motorway and doesn’t drone. If that’s possible).

Hi James, 

I have the Miltek resonated but some folks have reported knocking on the subframes but I have had no issues personally. I do like the look of Chris L exhaust.  

If you want none drone then you want a resonated system to be safe that has two mufflers under the car. 

I've always used borla for aftermarket exhausts in the past and they sell this beauty but in the States unfortunately. 

https://techtonicstuning.com/main/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=659

The Supersprint is extremely good quality, the welds are great and there is no excess build up of the weld internally so very smooth and free flowing. The sound is great, and fit is near perfect. The tip sweeps off to the side like the OE mild steel exhaust, so there's no faffing around when fitting it to get it central to the exit. They're as close to OE as you can get but better being stainless.

Thanks all. The last stainless system I purchased, was from a local company called Blueflame (18 years ago) for my first Corrado. It was great quality, but droned a little bit too much for my present tastes.It also knocked on the rear beam a little when loaded up. 

As OE as possible is the objective. 

Ah yes, Miltek. That’s the other brand I was thinking of. I’ll have a look at them as well.

Chris, if you’ve any input on his subject, I’d be keen to hear it.

Hi James, I had one of these systems on my blackberry corrado and as Sean says, the quality is outstanding. Also the tail pipe sweeps up and to the side slightly like the original OE one. They do look the part and don’t even remember them droning. Well recommended.

goldie has one on his silver VR so he might give you some feedback too.

chris

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Hi James, I had one of these systems on my blackberry corrado and as Sean says, the quality is outstanding. Also the tail pipe sweeps up and to the side slightly like the original OE one. They do look the part and don’t even remember them droning. Well recommended.

goldie has one on his silver VR so he might give you some feedback too.

chris

Thanks Chris. Thought I remembered you having one before. They do look very clean and well finished.

What’s it like at cruising speed on the motorway ?

Have you any experience of their cat replacement as well ?

Edited by James.

There are some nice sport cats out there- I put a standard cat in my car last year and it was cheap, think the originals are still available but looking at  1k in them regions from memory -  one I purchased was manufactured in the UK- Vince at Stealth gave it the thumbs up and was a perfect fit and reported it was good quality  Can dig out the seller if you like - popped a new Bosch 02 sensor in there as well and was also a perfect fit. .

Edited by Keyo

13 hours ago, Keyo said:

There are some nice sport cats out there. Can dig out the seller if you like - popped a new Bosch 02 sensor in there as well and was also a perfect fit. .

If you don’t mind that would be great. It looks like the original is still on the car, so it wouldn’t make sense to replace the system, without at least considering the cat.

Hi James , 

This is the Cat made by UK EEC also a link to the O2 sensor.  Worth sourcing some elring or Victor R gaskets for it. I actually purchased  a down pipe from another manufacturer as well but that was a crap fit so put the original one back on as was in good condition- also took the engine exhaust manifolds off and did the gaskets and new copper bolts - all new apart from the downpipe but did have some gaskets. 

£64,00 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-VW-Corrado-53I-2-9-VR6-Genuine-EEC-Catalytic-Cat-Converter-/301957023141?hash=item464e0a85a5

Genuine cat is still available from classics says for G60 but on part diagram says its the correct number for a VR6 . No 8 on diagram ABV.  Part No 7M0131701BX

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single/catalog/vw/markt/RDW/modell/COR/year/1995/drive_standart/76/hg_ug/253/subcategory/72005/part_id/3688051/lang/e#sec_8

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/katalysator-551e61.html

In regards the Bosch O2 sensor if your thinking of changing that - part changes in relationship to chassis number, mine is a very late one and was part number 021906265E F 50-S-000 720   - different them most VR. 

No 11 on diagram  

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single/catalog/vw/markt/RDW/modell/COR/year/1995/drive_standart/76/hg_ug/906/subcategory/204000/part_id/3704672/lang/e#sec_11

Edited by Keyo

2 hours ago, James. said:

If you don’t mind that would be great. It looks like the original is still on the car, so it wouldn’t make sense to replace the system, without at least considering the cat.

i had Longlife in Birmingham do the exhaust for my VR6 - it is 2.5" from the bottom of the downpipe back with a high flow CAT.  took him 7.5 hours to custom fabricate on the car & is superb.  very unintrusive if just cruising but will howl beautifully when foot down

pics are on my build thread in members gallery if you want to see

Thanks for all the advice all. Certainly lots to read up on.

Sorry Chris, you can have your thread back now.

42 minutes ago, James. said:

Thanks for all the advice all. Certainly lots to read up on.

Sorry Chris, you can have your thread back now.

🤣

I never had any issues with the supersprint on motorways or CAT replacements. Mine has had the CAT taken off but will be putting it back when I fit the exhaust

Started stripping the rear end for a full refurb so I can get the exhaust fitted.

E4B1D974-D74B-4FDD-94BE-8B25299B0950.jpeg

31051F15-4881-42FB-B5B1-392F0C34286C.jpeg

24CA36E4-EA79-44F6-9106-345D8C98731D.jpeg

5 minutes ago, easypops said:

Looking good mate, those bushes look like the slipped out nice and easy 👍

Cheers mate, not too bad to get them out. Couple of saw cuts then fold the bush shells out.

beam and other brackets at the painters now so can’t wait to get them back.

You don't half know how to pick em Chris, looks lovely! You're a glutton for punishment though! How many drive trains and axles have you dropped now!? 😆

1 hour ago, seanl82 said:

You don't half know how to pick em Chris, looks lovely! You're a glutton for punishment though! How many drive trains and axles have you dropped now!? 😆

🤣 this will be the third, the other 2 we’re just practice runs for this one.

Ooooo shiny coated parts, love them. Makes me want to redo mine.

Shame putting the bushes in is such a ball ache 

3 minutes ago, Cressa said:

Ooooo shiny coated parts, love them. Makes me want to redo mine.

Shame putting the bushes in is such a ball ache 

I have a mate that pushes them in for me so pretty hassle free 😬

About time we had an update from you 😊. I am jealous of those parts 👍

Ah shit now you are spoiling us. They look great OE, but that bleed valve cap has to go 🤔🤣