smig

Bonnet cable snapped - how to open bonnet?

Just gone to open my bonnet and the cable has snapped. So, how do I open the bonnet to sort it?

I’ve done a search, and several posts seem to link to a ‘how to’, but when I click the link, the page say ‘404 not found’.

Can some one post a working link, or give me a run through?

Cheers

be prepared for the grille to break as they become brittle with age

i have a new grille but have not fitted it as i am always waiting for the pull cable to snap

has anyone ever came up with a reliable alternative method of opening the bonnet when the inevitable happens?

Remove the grill with a credit card type of plastic to avoid moving the tabs too much

Are both sides of the bonnet stuck or just one side?

I managed to remove the grill. I could then pull the cable to release the passenger side. I had to burst through the drivers side plastic radiator air guide and manually pull the drivers side catch. Got it open.

Right, Heritage do the cables, but they’re just under 60 quid, any other more recently priced alternatives out there? I’ve read something about using Audi 100 cables, anyone done this?

You can use an Audi 80 trumpet (same part number as Corrado) ready available off ebay if that has failed, also classics have now for sale the trumpet that does not have the screw.

Member Easyposps member on here use to sell the cables I thik.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-UR-QUATTRO-TURBO-COUPE-80-90-COUPE-B2-BONNET-CABLE-END-CLAMP-811823555/303370573947?hash=item46a24b987b:g:7QkAAOSwwO9eFeGQ

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/catalogsearch/result/?q=443823597A&order=relevance&dir=desc

Edited by Keyo

be prepared for the grille to break as they become brittle with age

i have a new grille but have not fitted it as i am always waiting for the pull cable to snap

has anyone ever came up with a reliable alternative method of opening the bonnet when the inevitable happens?

I'm going to put two cable ties together and put it on the bonnet cable. dangle it on the inside of the grill and leave a small circle on the end of the cable so I can hook it through the grill and pull on it which should release the pins I guess in an emergency ?

I’ve read something about using Audi 100 cables, anyone done this?

If I'm not wrong the part no. was 443823531A

Regards

Gunther

If I'm not wrong the part no. was 443823531A

Regards

Gunther

I’ve ordered one. We’ll see how I get on.

You can use an Audi 80 trumpet (same part number as Corrado) ready available off ebay if that has failed, also classics have now for sale the trumpet that does not have the screw.

Member Easyposps member on here use to sell the cables I thik.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-UR-QUATTRO-TURBO-COUPE-80-90-COUPE-B2-BONNET-CABLE-END-CLAMP-811823555/303370573947?hash=item46a24b987b:g:7QkAAOSwwO9eFeGQ

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/catalogsearch/result/?q=443823597A&order=relevance&dir=desc

I still sell the cables, hopefully the one you’ve ordered sorts you out. If not fire me a pm

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?94884-Bonnet-release-cables

Does it just hook onto your existing handle ?

Yes, the cable fits onto the existing handle, you need to retain the sheathing that runs across the slam panel and both trumpets

I think in future we are going to start seeing the rod springs snap and metal bracket retainers that hold the springs. You can still get one side spring but the other is obsolete

I ordered a few of the offside none bolt trumpets and a new spring from classics.

Can you put my name down for one please easy while I scramble the money together, should be good for the weekend.

Cheers

Can you put my name down for one please easy while I scramble the money together, should be good for the weekend.

Cheers

No worries mate, just message me once you are needing it, I’ve got a few left so you’ll definitely get one, no need to rush :)