fendervg

02A gearbox bracket bushings

Has anyone on here ever fitted solid shift cable bracket bushings to their cars, and have they made much of a difference? Considering it, but there's absolutely no movement on my bracket with the stock rubber and metal insert ones after 27 years, and would think the alloy ones would transmit more vibration.....something like these, but a few different places do them:

On 2/12/2020 at 5:52 PM, fendervg said:
Has anyone on here ever fitted solid shift cable bracket bushings to their cars, and have they made much of a difference? Considering it, but there's absolutely no movement on my bracket with the stock rubber and metal insert ones after 27 years, and would think the alloy ones would transmit more vibration.....something like these, but a few different places do them:

Yeah I've seen these for sale on Ebay before, like you say probably would increase risk of vibration, hence the OEM ones being rubber bushes.

I suppose for racing this would be ideal as you don't need to worry about any slight vibration, including having the suspension stiff and lowered to the deck with excess negative camber, but for normal road use you ideally want some comfort so to speak.

Si 

I have some, but haven't fitted them yet, and Keyo has got some as well.  We'll see what the results is - the OEM ones are rubber on the outside, but the inside is a shouldered metal insert - so not sure how much this helps with transmission as there is still metal to metal contact.

Hi I will give a full review chaps- my gear change is long ,tired and a disgrace to the driving experience. I think you're better off looking out for a Gema 35 short shift kit as well as the solid cable mounts, it comes complete with the white tube and the bottom clip which are both obsolete and don't come with a rebuild kit. Also tired links in the bay could be adding to the issue. If this dont work then putting an auto in - joke !!! 

https://www.maxrpm.de/Short-shifter-for-Corrado-Build-all-likewise-G60-about-35

shiff1.jpg

shiff.jpg

I’m pretty sure hotgolf (gas n gears) rebuilds these and the gearbox towers too

15 minutes ago, Dox said:

I’m pretty sure hotgolf (gas n gears) rebuilds these and the gearbox towers too

Well worth it I would say - gear shift is often overlooked but can make a huge difference to the overall drive experience. 

Edited by Keyo

I’ve got a couple of 02j towers, just need the Polo / ibiza shifter Stuff to convert the mk4 lever

Just seen this on YouTube it's a MK4 Golf gearbox and selector cables complete with gear stick tower.

He basically show's all common area's for wear resulting in free play felt through gear stick, plus he has a overhaul bush kit which he fits, and shows the difference before and after.

Si 

Edited by vw rule

30 minutes ago, dragon green said:

Dave16v used to do an exchange short shifter,
Made a big difference in mine

Still have mine. I've actually just changed back to original and I'll see how I get on, but it may be for sale soon if I'm comfortable enough with the stock throw.

Edited by seanl82

2 hours ago, vw rule said:

Just seen this on YouTube it's a MK4 Golf gearbox and sector cables complete with gear stick tower.

He basically show's all common area's for wear resulting in free play felt through gear stick, plus he has a overhaul bush kit which he fits, and shows the difference before and after.

Si 

This is where I got some of my bushings and rebuild kit parts - they look to be good quality - they also used to do a short shifter for the 02A, but not anymore.

1 hour ago, seanl82 said:

Still have mine. I've actually just changed back to original and I'll see how I get on, but it may be for sale soon if I'm comfortable enough with the stock throw.

As far as I know he still makes them - it's one of the items on my list. Could well be interested in your old one if you are selling - let me know.

The shifter end is just one part of the equation, you can also get a lot of wear in the plastic parts and bushings at the gearbox side. The cables themselves don't really wear or stretch - it's just the end clips that break, and it's possible to get billet replacements for these.

If you watch this video  folks - guy had a bushing kit but had to make up the rest of the failed parts as obsolete- that is exactly why I purchased the whole unit - all new and with the obsolete parts- no second hand unit from another platform - brand spankers .  That tube is more important then you think and the bottom clip. If you have crunching reverse gear that bottom clip will not be helping as it engages it- not good for your gearbox at all.  The tube guides the shift so when that wears down not nice at all.  I will trial run it and so is Vince and give some feedback- the seller said they are the last batch so that is food for thought for everyone. 

Edited by Keyo

49 minutes ago, fendervg said:

As far as I know he still makes them - it's one of the items on my list. Could well be interested in your old one if you are selling - let me know.

The shifter end is just one part of the equation, you can also get a lot of wear in the plastic parts and bushings at the gearbox side. The cables themselves don't really wear or stretch - it's just the end clips that break, and it's possible to get billet replacements for these.

👍

28 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Can you put the original Rado gear knob and gator on a o2 J - 

Dunno, but where there's a will there's a way (grinder, welder epoxy.

Both my towers and levers are off my own cars, (10V V5 Golf and 1.8T Octavia) both had around 160K miles when I broke them. I drove both of them back to back with my 100K miles VR6 and they were night and day better and basically they're free. The wiki with the polo part numbers has gone, all previous links including purpletoms are now dead ends.

45 minutes ago, Dox said:

Dunno, but where there's a will there's a way (grinder, welder epoxy.

Both my towers and levers are off my own cars, (10V V5 Golf and 1.8T Octavia) both had around 160K miles when I broke them. I drove both of them back to back with my 100K miles VR6 and they were night and day better and basically they're free. The wiki with the polo part numbers has gone, all previous links including purpletoms are now dead ends.

Yep needed to read a few thing lately and was disappointed not to be able to retrieve the information.  

Edited by Keyo

Some info here, I might update this if I find anything else

49 minutes ago, Dox said:

Some info here, I might update this if I find anything else

Cheers . Sometimes I use google to find something out and it shows a link for the Forum and a few sentences and click on it and says invalid. 

Edited by Keyo

Thimk theres a few threads on the vortex forum on this conversion.

Surely if we are subscribing now we should have access to these old threads/information?

On 6/15/2020 at 5:37 PM, dragon green said:

Dave16v used to do an exchange short shifter,
Made a big difference in mine

Yes I still supply them on exchange.