Cressa

Karmann the Corrado

thats a good shout with the tiewrap for the accelerator cable.

I cut the bonnet with a cutting disc on the dremel.  I taped the rib with masking tape and drew the cutout shape on it. Couldn't get it right so i prob ended up cutting more than necessary, but its quote easy to tidy up with the dremel

I was originally thinking of getting a dremel to try. I may just see how gentle I can be with the angle grinder and the slim cutting blades first.

Interestingly,  my bonnet does shut without cutting anything out. I even placed some sticky tape on the high corner to see if it would stick to the bonnet, but it didnt. Only when I stuck some rolled up blue tack on the high point did it touch. 

So probably 2mm clearance and not allowing for any engine movement. 

I wonder if the VT front mount will make it sit higher, lower or the same. Perhaps I should fit this first

Hmmm

Just done the VT front engine mount this morning. Nothing too stressful but I have noticed the engine does sit slightly higher now,  as I can not shut the bonnet on that side. Cut out will happen soon.

All 3 mounts changed now and there is definitely reduced rocking movement thanks to this front one. I will put some pics up later.

I did notice a single drop of oil hanging from the power steering pump.... so that will need to be watched.🤔

WORSE TO SEE whilst up on the ramps, the inside of my drivers alloy wheel is black 😱😳 no time to look today but thinking a CV boot has given up on me

Bollo#

How does this little VT mount mange to make it sit higher? And what if........

I dropped the front cross member a little, say using some 10mm plate either side. Hmmm, then not have to cut the bonnet . Surely that small amount isn't going to affect anything!!! Just putting that thought out there, what do you think?

20210531_110621.jpg

18 hours ago, Dox said:

Could the mounting bracket be modified?

The one on the front of the engine is an art of fabrication. I looked at the front cross member but Don't fancy spoiling it and have to get a replacement. 

That's why I considered putting plates either side where the bumper bolts through it.  Downside is as I leave my drive it catches an exhaust cover occasionally.  I don't want to make anything worse..

Perhaps just stick with cutting like everyone b4 me.  Shame really.🤔

10 minutes ago, Cressa said:

The one on the front of the engine is an art of fabrication. I looked at the front cross member but Don't fancy spoiling it and have to get a replacement. 

That's why I considered putting plates either side where the bumper bolts through it.  Downside is as I leave my drive it catches an exhaust cover occasionally.  I don't want to make anything worse..

I’d never considered dropping the cross member although it’s probably something I would have tried. I wouldn’t expect it to make the exhaust any lower, the height of that is more likely governed by the two rear mounts.

However, as somebody who once rubbed a hole in his sump driving too fast through a dip (and still have a plate welded over the hole), I’d probably not be rushing to lower my motor!

I'm not one for a car on the floor either.. Did you get yours taxed? I'll PM my details over to you 

29 minutes ago, Cressa said:

I can't remember what it looks like, I wondered if you could elongate the holes to drop the front?

The bonnet has lots of holes and moldings underneath  so it blends in- I would just cut it mate  only you will notice it as everyone will be looking at the schrick with green envy ha. 

9 hours ago, Keyo said:

The bonnet has lots of holes and moldings underneath  so it blends in- I would just cut it mate  only you will notice it as everyone will be looking at the schrick with green envy ha. 

Fair point on the holes 😁

Took the angle grinder to her, sorted in minutes.  Wrapped everything up so well that it looked like it was having a Vasectomy 

20210602_121638.jpg

And then I investigated the black on the inside of the front alloy.

CV boot ripped open

Cause:- anti-roll bar drop link failed and found it's way up to the CV boot.

AGHHHHH

Will repair this side, then look at changing the other drop link so I dont have a major issue again....

Thought I would be able to drive it soon with the Schrick on, maybe NOT 😡🤪

20210602_143843.jpg

20210602_143849.jpg

both cheap items to replace but the boot is a git and will probably knock your wheel alignment out too

On the bright side there is a good chance the knocking noises you could hear were coming from that. 

46 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

On the bright side there is a good chance the knocking noises you could hear were coming from that. 

🤣🤣 That thought had crossed my mind 

Funnily enough I changed my drop links and bottom ball joints while I had it in bits this year. 

Bad Corrado day. She is getting on my Tits now.......

Ordered a new o/s outer CV joint as my boot had split and just in case...... Got the driveshaft out of the hub easy enough,  but could not split the joint from the shaft.

Knocked it about a lot 

You tube

Forums 

Knocked it about more

Had to drop the sump to get it off the car... No way does it get past the subframe/wishbone bolt

Vice - knocked it around more

Even with a sledgehammer

Now this girl is playing hard ball, so I phoned j&r who do the driveshafts and the guy says.... No mate, ours aren't designed to come apart 😂🤬🤬🤬WTF, a whole day wasted and I had ordered just the outer joint. Which only fit an OE driveshaft 

AGHHHHHHH

And this Git is the culprit that has caused all my grief. How the heck does the metal ring manage to separate out of the rubber bush, spin round and rip my CV joint.  Bast##d

20210603_174557.jpg

I’ve got mine to swap on Saturday. Good to know that the outer isn’t serviceable, although you had a hard day finding that out.  I’ve had both mine off without taking the sump off in the last 12 months by removing the drop links and bottom ball joints from the wishbones. 

15 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

I’ve got mine to swap on Saturday. Good to know that the outer isn’t serviceable, although you had a hard day finding that out.  I’ve had both mine off without taking the sump off in the last 12 months by removing the drop links and bottom ball joints from the wishbones. 

Who's driveshafts are you fitting?

And how the hell did you manage to get the O/S one out without dismantling.... It frustrated me 😡

As I removed the sump, I noticed a slight weeping at one end. The gasket hasn't been on long, although a read of the Bentley and it does state to use paste on the block b4 fitting the gasket... so i will try that .