Cressa

Karmann the Corrado

9 hours ago, Keyo said:

No cams mate just a true 2.9 bore and the vsr - 268 cams for a variable as you all ready have the low down - have heard they can run a bit lumpy with 268 though not sure to be honest.  Yes I have chip in the ecu - Vince has a Stealth off the shelf one and I would get him to fit it as he was telling me he finds some chips put in the ecu from other tuners in quite a crude manner that cuts something up - he found a a way to put them in none surgically. 

I think I may have to save up for a Stealth tune and chip. Sounds the way to go and he could give it a quick health check. Do you know how much something like that is ? 

I’m not sure chap as when I had my rebuild and collected car I asked him to check the chip and he just gave me one and fitted fir free - was not to fussed about getting it on a rolling road as it was a fresh rebuild breaking in and the tune is designed for variable inlet . Guessing it’s 200-220 max . 

7 hours ago, Cressa said:

I think I may have to save up for a Stealth tune and chip. Sounds the way to go and he could give it a quick health check. Do you know how much something like that is ? 

when stealth did my remap after the head work, 263's & BMC it was £400 for the map on the rollers - however this was quite a few years ago but it will give you a ball park figure

Had the power run today, to see if fitting the Schrick had made a difference. Was it really all in my head that it feels smoother and quicker. 

The power line up to 4k revs is very noticeable. I intend overlaying the before and after so that it is easier to see the difference. 

Not bad for an old girl at 123k miles even if it looks down on power. Certainly doesnt feel that way

20210624_162456.jpg

That just goes to show that there is a massive increase in power and torque over the original manifold, especially  upto 4K revs. I can’t believe you’d get that just by altering the air flow that it’s sucking in without any other engine mods or tune. 
No wonder you seemed so pleased with the first drives after fitting. 

This is fantastic back to back info! So about 11hp extra and low rpm increase, win/win! Happy for you mate cheers 

16 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

That just goes to show that there is a massive increase in power and torque over the original manifold, especially  upto 4K revs. I can’t believe you’d get that just by altering the air flow that it’s sucking in without any other engine mods or tune. 
No wonder you seemed so pleased with the first drives after fitting. 

How can such an item that makes such a difference not have been fitted as standard

3 minutes ago, ABV-VR6 said:

This is fantastic back to back info! So about 11hp extra and low rpm increase, win/win! Happy for you mate cheers 

That low rpm actually stops me getting up to the big revs for the power. 

It's nice to see that on paper it does make a difference 😊

Good improvement but you should be getting up to 205 bhp na with a variable-  excuse my ignorance in case I have lost something in translation of engine bhp or to the wheel. 

Its a shame when Vince fitted my schrick ecu chip he kept the D and G one I think it was from Oxfordshire way otherwise I would of sent it you for free as most likely set up for the schrick , he probably wanted to check it out but I know Vince's chip will be cutting edge and gave it me free so I aint complaining. 

Edited by Keyo

Well I wondered is it low due to being old..... or is it just what their rollers measure at.  If you think a Stealth remap would help improve it and the power that dips after 4k being smoothed out, then perhaps I should give him a ring. 

In fairness i haven't wanted big power, just something to stop her being lazy unless revved

Worth a phone call I'm sure

7 minutes ago, Cressa said:

Well I wondered is it low due to being old..... or is it just what their rollers measure at.  If you think a Stealth remap would help improve it and the power that dips after 4k being smoothed out, then perhaps I should give him a ring. 

In fairness i haven't wanted big power, just something to stop her being lazy unless revved

You should have a chip for the health of the engine chap as it can lead to pinking without one I have been told. 

That's a good graph, here's my one on a stock manifold and 263 cams - very different curve.

Mine makes 160hp at 4k, shame they are not both in KWs but think that is 120kws. Peak power is 220hp/165KW at 6k but holds a fairly flat peak from 5600-6600rpm. I think vince increased my limiter to 7100

20190729-134926.jpg

58 minutes ago, Cressa said:

If the engine is "finished" it would be good to take it to an expert to make sure its all working in harmony, it could have a bad MAF / Lambdas or cam timing out etc You'll then know its as good as can be going forward.

Just now, Dox said:

If the engine is "finished" it would be good to take it to an expert to make sure its all working in harmony, it could have a bad MAF / Lambdas or cam timing out etc You'll then know its as good as can be going forward.

🤣🤣 I hope it isnt finished 🤞 as it definitely shifts   .. but I take your point about something else holding her back 👍

1 hour ago, Cressa said:

🤣🤣 I hope it isnt finished 🤞 as it definitely shifts   .. but I take your point about something else holding her back 👍

I meant performance wise finished (no performance cams etc)

4 minutes ago, Dox said:

I meant performance wise finished (no performance cams etc)

🙃 no worries. She is finished in that sense 

Are you far from Stealth Cressa? If I remember correctly he recommended 268 cams if you had a performance manifold otherwise it must work fine with stock cams also. You'll benefit from their tuning knowledge and have a good amount of comparator cars on his rollers to assess engine health - yours of course is healthy but nice to know! 

If you were interested in the cams route i know he can fit cams and tune on the same day  - he did it for my mate in North Wales.

My car has 151k on it, bottom end untouched but top end refurbished. Does have documented full service history but even with that my tensioner was toast when he did the chains. 

Google says I am just under 2hrs away, nearly 100 miles, so very possible. I will consider the cams when the engine comes out to have its tensioner done. 

After spending sooo much in getting her back on the road i just wanted to get some pleasure back from her. Before taking her off the road again... plus she bloody owes me ££££££ 🤣

Although when I bought the Schrick 2 years ago that was another moment of madness..... glad I did now 

7 minutes ago, Cressa said:

Google says I am just under 2hrs away, nearly 100 miles, so very possible. I will consider the cams when the engine comes out to have its tensioner done. 

After spending sooo much in getting her back on the road i just wanted to get some pleasure back from her. Before taking her off the road again... plus she bloody owes me ££££££ 🤣

Although when I bought the Schrick 2 years ago that was another moment of madness..... glad I did now 

regarding the cams - id say it also depends what air filter & exhaust you have, eg BMC CDA & stainless with hi flow cat, as they would both be preferable so as to maximise the new cam profile

Finally got my present from classic parts today. Some vw wheel bags for the spares 🤣🤣 and a new power steering reservoir to help things look clean and prettier.  Most important was my lower steering trim that I broke recently😡, so I am glad that can be sorted

20210708_192501.jpg

And after something Keyo said about the corrado glass sticker, which I had also seen but no further info. So I put them on the order. Here they are 

Bitte nicht streicheln

please do not stroke 🙄😊

As the picture, there is an outside one and an inside one. 

What do you think? 

20210708_192554.jpg