dghodges

Replacing coilovers with B12 pro kit

As the title suggests, I am going to be replacing my KW v1s (leaking and broken spring after 3 years) for the bilstein b12 pro kit. 

I don't have any of the original suspension parts, so I am hoping someone could please tell me what parts I will need, spring plates etc. 

Car is a '93 VR. 

Thank you

There are two types of upper spring plate.  Do some searching on here to see which people have used. I'm sure someone will shout up. Get the kit and see what is missing. Definitely a popular and highly rated set up

Screenshot_20200612-083142_Samsung Internet.jpg

As above, I can't remember which part number for top plates you need. Let me know if you want it in advance and I'll dig it out for you, but it states it in the instructions anyway. You'll also need bump stops and dust covers as they don't come with them. In addition, check you have the correct rear springs as lots were sent out with the incorrect type (PN# should end 2002 instead of 2003 iirc).

Edited by seanl82

Good tip by Sean - I had these issue too but eibach sent out free replacements via the supplier i bought the kit from (larkspeed).

Thanks for the info so far. I'd done some searching...unfortunately the topics that Google found that looked to be the most useful I couldn't access. 

Regarding the bump stops and dust covers, is this just the rears or fronts as well? I can't find a copy of the instructions. I was hoping to at least identify what I was going to need and where I might get it from before parting with my money 🤑

In terms of suppliers the cheapest I have found is extreme-carstyling @£610 delivered. Does anyone have any experience of them? or is it best to stay with more familiar names for the sake of 60 quid? 

Cheers

Lowered springs have the larger diameter top plate that early cars left the factory with?

Bump stops (191512131b) and dust covers (don't have PN for these) for rear. The part number for the spring top plates is 1H0412341. Looking through receipts has reminded me that you need the rear spring top rubber buffer too. 1H0512149. That should be it mate. 

As far as suppliers, I've not heard of carstyling so it's your risk I suppose. I got mine from Demon Tweeks and they were fantastic in getting me the correct rear springs as mine turned out wrong too. 👍

Edited by seanl82

Great info, thanks Seanl82 for going through your receipts! 

What about the rears, do you need to buy the upper and lower spring plates? 

No worries. Definitely don't need lower on the rear, can't say 100% upper but I'm pretty sure you don't. I have no receipts for them and they look near new so I don't think I re-used the ones from the Weitecs that were on before. (Sorry, it was 6 years ago that I fitted them and my memory isn't the best!).

Edited by seanl82

Thanks for all the part numbers, much appreciated. 

Annoyingly there is a delay in manufacture so I'm not going to be able to get hold of the kit until mid July. I held onto an old spring when I had the kW set reconditioned 3 years ago, managed to fit it on the weekend. Just need to nurse it now until I can get the Bilsteins. Amazing how uneven the roads are when you've got next to no damping lol. 

One thing I didn't mention was that I fitted a 1z tdi from a Passat just over 3 years ago. Does anyone have an opinion on whether the kit ending in 109 (for the vr6) is still the correct option? 

I'm assuming the 109 is for 'plus axle'. It's referring to VR6 wide track so should be the one to fit if yours was originally a VR, though with a smaller & lighter TDI lump it may be a little firmer.

I think you're right in terms of 'plus axle'. I don't understand how the extra width affects the kit fitment, it must just be the geometry change causes a difference in the required damping and spring rates? 

Having a bit of a mongrel I thought I'd ask the question.🤔

I ordered from Extreme Carstyling and found them very good - they are based in the Netherlands but that posed no issue. Were generally quick to answer emails, mostly about the rear springs, which they sourced from eibach (and dealt with after eibach claimed not to know) and sent free of charge.

They initially didn't know about the rear spring issue but now should be aware after I went through it with them (sourced a few forum posts) so if you have the same issue should hopefully be straightforward.

The only place I could find the spring plates was AVS parts after a lot of searching. Mostly could only find the later plates on eBay. I can dig out the link later if you are struggling to find any.

With all the messing from eibach think if I was going to revisit the shocks +  springs I would of gone for Koni adjustable dampers and H and r 30 mm lowering springs - you can adjust them on a soft setting if the crap roads start to get on your nerves.  

Right, finally got my kit from Bilstein about 3 weeks ago. Because I had the older style rear KW v1s that replaced the whole strut, on top of what was already recommended, I had to buy the upper spring plates for the rears, which took a while to arrive. 

Like others have found, I had the wrong rear springs for my car. With the springs supplied the car sat too low at the rear. It was also a bit 'crashy' on bad roads. I went with Larkspeed and they got me the taller springs sent out free of charge. I fitted the springs Saturday and now the car sits evenly and the ride quality is really good. 

My question is, has everyone who have had the wrong springs had the same scenario, car too low at the rear? Or have some found the rear too high? There may be potential for some swaps as I have a week old set of shorter springs I don't want. 

Cheers 

Shorter originals.jpg

Taller replacements.jpg

Hi, yes I had exactly the same issue - rear was sitting on the bump stops and made the car look as though I was carrying a boot full of cement.

Larkspeed were good at replacing. Pic of mine as it is now.d2415a7a9a4b6cc622887f706e6d6b62.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I had the wrong set too. I don't recall it sitting too low though, but it was much firmer from what I remember. I did have to run them for a couple of months, and on replacement the bump stops and covers were undamaged. I tried to sort the replacement springs myself, only to be met with the absolute worst customer services in Bilstein I've ever experienced. I got onto Demon Tweeks who supplied them to me and they were amazing, getting them sent out within 2 weeks direct from Eibach.