g0ldf1ng3r

Triple relay uprated headlight looms

Lovely Bubbly  for those that cant wait. Sure the horror stories and photos that I have seen from the Mk2 of fires been caused by the DDR Im not risking it- in the Mk2 though where it is located it is liable for the cable of the dim to rub on the chassis leg. 

loom.jpg

loom1.jpg

Edited by Keyo

I have one of these on my car if you don't want to mount the relays- I just pop them in the bag keeps them nice and dry. Tidy in the bay as well and protects battery tray from leaks of battery and of course protects battery contacts from elements,  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Battery-Cover-Frost-Protection-Thermal-Wrap-Battery-Pocket-NEW-45-65-Ah/113928931467?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

DSC_0536.JPG

Edited by Keyo

They look great and well made - waiting on delivery with excitement!

Pretty much any uprated loom needs to have the dim dip resistor disconnected, otherwise the full low beam will come on with the switch on sidelights only, as there will be enough current to trip the relays.

If you plug in dim dip resistor you’ll only get side lights with ignition off, once you turn the key dipped beam will illuminate, so a possible mot failure

19 hours ago, Keyo said:

I have one of these on my car if you don't want to mount the relays- I just pop them in the bag keeps them nice and dry. Tidy in the bay as well and protects battery tray from leaks of battery and of course protects battery contacts from elements,  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Battery-Cover-Frost-Protection-Thermal-Wrap-Battery-Pocket-NEW-45-65-Ah/113928931467?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

DSC_0536.JPG

Not so useful if your car is stored/parked outside, water runs down the  channel on the wing and drips on to the battery blanket. This then absorbs the water and remains wet. The relays placed inside will eventually corrode and short out. Well they did on mine, I have since put mine in a small plastic container in front of the battery and had no issues since.

5 minutes ago, stuarttaylor37 said:

Not so useful if your car is stored/parked outside, water runs down the  channel on the wing and drips on to the battery blanket. This then absorbs the water and remains wet. The relays placed inside will eventually corrode and short out. Well they did on mine, I have since put mine in a small plastic container in front of the battery and had no issues since.

Hmmm mine stays nice and dry my car is parked on a sloped drive maybe that helps also have new water channel buffers  opposite side of internal scuttle trim. Also kept in front of battery . 

Edited by Keyo

Just now, Keyo said:

Hmmm my stays nice and dry my car is parked on a sloped drive maybe that helps also have now water channel buffers  opposite side of internal scuttle trim. 

My drive is sloped too. It still happened to mine even with those buffers in place. Worth keeping an eye on as those battery bags dont look wet even when they are sodden.

7 minutes ago, stuarttaylor37 said:

My drive is sloped too. It still happened to mine even with those buffers in place. Worth keeping an eye on as those battery bags dont look wet even when they are sodden.

Will do- these with a three relay might work well - in hindsight could of been built into the looms > waterproof relay box. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-Relay-5-Road-Auto-Relay-Holder-Box-Socket-Fuse-Waterproof-Lid-Insurance/184381992607?hash=item2aee05ee9f:g:6VEAAOSwEJlfIvkb

Edited by Keyo

2 minutes ago, fendervg said:

Best solution is a small watertight container to put the relays into. 

I've got a new one of the original D and G relay kits somewhere in the loft that I've never got round to fitting that has a smart aluminium box to house the relays

Just now, stuarttaylor37 said:

I've got a new one of the original D and G relay kits somewhere in the loft that I've never got round to fitting that has a smart aluminium box to house the relays

You got a link chap ? Thanks 

Just now, stuarttaylor37 said:

Sadly they I believe they went out of business years ago

Ok thanks. 

Any electronics/electric supply store (try Radionics, Maplins now gone) will have something suitable. Some even have an opening for the wiring to go through, with a bushed screw type fitting to hold them in place and sealed.

I'll take a picture of the one I have on my car the next time the bonnet is open - this is the best pic I have of it before fitting, years old - this was a "hybrid" loom made using OEM connectors, waterproof box and extra insulation, with an eBay bought loom as a starting point:

image.thumb.jpeg.4b4339a017027efc019dd22f4e99336c.jpeg

I guess there's lots of ways to do it - some of those marine relay enclosures look very suitable, or there is plenty of heavy duty mil spec vehicle electrics stuff around. I think this is one of the reasons why the quality looms with decent gauge wiring, proper wrapping and insulation, OE connectors and weatherproof enclosures are much more expensive - then there is number of relays.

56 minutes ago, fendervg said:

Any electronics/electric supply store (try Radionics, Maplins now gone) will have something suitable. Some even have an opening for the wiring to go through, with a bushed screw type fitting to hold them in place and sealed.

I'll take a picture of the one I have on my car the next time the bonnet is open - this is the best pic I have of it before fitting, years old - this was a "hybrid" loom made using OEM connectors, waterproof box and extra insulation, with an eBay bought loom as a starting point:

image.thumb.jpeg.4b4339a017027efc019dd22f4e99336c.jpeg

I guess there's lots of ways to do it - some of those marine relay enclosures look very suitable, or there is plenty of heavy duty mil spec vehicle electrics stuff around. I think this is one of the reasons why the quality looms with decent gauge wiring, proper wrapping and insulation, OE connectors and weatherproof enclosures are much more expensive - then there is number of relays.

Thanks but cant fins a box like that - could do with one that opens up and closes around the relays as loom all ready constructed. 

I've had a genuine battery bag fitted to mine for years with no issues either. My relays are stuck with Velcro to the front of the battery and covered by the bag and I've never had an issue with water ingress and the bag getting damp or wet.

2 hours ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

ahhh poop my loom still hasnt arrived yet - i hope it hasnt got lost along the way 😞

How does that happen!!! The man that sorts it all doesn't receive his, NOooo.

Keep us posted 👀

1 minute ago, Cressa said:

How does that Sounds locl happen!!! The man that sorts it all doesn't receive his, NOooo.

Keep us posted 👀

Sounds like his local postie is a member on here,  post is crazy at the moment tbf. 

Edited by Keyo

17 hours ago, Cressa said:

How does that happen!!! The man that sorts it all doesn't receive his, NOooo.

Keep us posted 👀

ha ha ha!!!

thankfully it was there waiting when i got home from work last night 😄

they looks great & cant wait to fit it when i get chance!