g0ldf1ng3r

Triple relay uprated headlight looms

Good to hear you got yours - would have been very unfair to leave you without a Christmas present after doing all the organising and admin!

Still waiting for mine, but it will take longer to get to Dublin, and is probably stuck in a traffic jam at a port or some sort of Br*xit customs inspection......any day now!

Met the postman as I arrived back home this morning from a visit with one of the cats to the vet, and he handed me a lovely parcel of Christmas loom goodness - thanks again  to kurzy for the really high quality work here, evident in all the details - even the instructions and X-Mas card, and to the indomitable Mr g0ldf1ng3r for all his organisational and administrative skills, as well as for having the idea in the first place! It really shows how a forum like this can work together based on trust and volunteers  for something like this to come off.

Have a great holiday all!

2 hours ago, fendervg said:

Met the postman as I arrived back home this morning from a visit with one of the cats to the vet, and he handed me a lovely parcel of Christmas loom goodness - thanks again  to kurzy for the really high quality work here, evident in all the details - even the instructions and X-Mas card, and to the indomitable Mr g0ldf1ng3r for all his organisational and administrative skills, as well as for having the idea in the first place! It really shows how a forum like this can work together based on trust and volunteers  for something like this to come off.

Have a great holiday all!

thanks for the kind words - im glad you are pleased 😄

Routed the wiring today.  Stuck my relays on the side of the battery with enough slack to pull out, removed the front grille and rad top fixings and tyrapped it down low to the O/S headlight. Only took half an hour surprisingly.  

20201230_142425.jpg

I want to do the change over when it is dark to see the difference, sad I know. Pleased with it 👍 💡

Edited by Cressa
Added a picture

Did the connection changeover last night. Thought I would measure the voltage b4 and after before seeing it for real 👀

Weirdly enough with engine running I had 13.1 volts  before I connected up at the headlight connector, how the hell does that happen? I am not aware of any relays previously fitted and have the original connectors and loom at the headlights. Only item I have changed is the headlight switch for one from 8vmatt.

Anyway, connected the new loom up and have 13.6volts.

So better but I was expecting a low 11v at the lights previously, hence Corrados needing the loom!!! Or did I just buy something I didnt need and I should have checked the voltage first

100% recommend the quality and fitting of this loom, especially with the oe connectors. So quick and simple 

5 stars from me 😇

Maybe your OEM loom has been replaced at some stage

You will in any case still be improving safety and reliability by taking the current load off the headlight switch - helps to avoid nasty fires.

Any I’ve measured before (Golf/Corrado/Audi CQ) have returned 11 to 12 v on original wiring. Strange.

54 minutes ago, Cressa said:

Did the connection changeover last night. Thought I would measure the voltage b4 and after before seeing it for real 👀

Weirdly enough with engine running I had 13.1 volts  before I connected up at the headlight connector, how the hell does that happen? I am not aware of any relays previously fitted and have the original connectors and loom at the headlights. Only item I have changed is the headlight switch for one from 8vmatt.

Anyway, connected the new loom up and have 13.6volts.

So better but I was expecting a low 11v at the lights previously, hence Corrados needing the loom!!! Or did I just buy something I didnt need and I should have checked the voltage first

100% recommend the quality and fitting of this loom, especially with the oe connectors. So quick and simple 

5 stars from me 😇

Count how many live feeds there are on your battery 

3 hours ago, Keyo said:

Count how many live feeds there are on your battery 

I've got 3 crimps coming off the live terminal that are double wires at each.  1 of the doubles is definitely for the aircon.  

I've had the dash out and been all over this car, never once seeing some out of place relays 

45 minutes ago, Cressa said:

I've got 3 crimps coming off the live terminal that are double wires at each.  1 of the doubles is definitely for the aircon.  

I've had the dash out and been all over this car, never once seeing some out of place relays 

Did your stock loom look modded - is it possible they added a live feed to it - not sure of the stock one has a live feed. Live stock feeds Im  guessing is ( I think )

Main live

Rad fan live

ABS Live

ECU Live 

All looked standard.  I will get a picture up in a couple of days when I'm back with the car

The black one is the new loom feed.

The red with black shrink wrap is the charging lead I made up

A crimp with 2 reds in goes to the aircon

The rest, who knows ..😊

20210111_160645.jpg

5 hours ago, Cressa said:

The black one is the new loom feed.

The red with black shrink wrap is the charging lead I made up

A crimp with 2 reds in goes to the aircon

The rest, who knows ..😊

20210111_160645.jpg

Its just mad that you has that much current from stock = probably a good thing I guess. 

On 1/10/2021 at 10:05 PM, Cressa said:

All looked standard.  I will get a picture up in a couple of days when I'm back with the car

hello m8

just out of interest have you checked the actual light output differences between stock & uprated loom?

i run ring xenon max bulbs in both my rado's with the uprated looms & the difference to standard is definitely visible

I think it is an uprated Osram bulbs that I fitted way back, that give a nice white light. Looked good b4 and still do with the loom. May be slightly brighter with an extra .5 volts now. 

I was just surprised at the high voltage  I had before !!! With no known headlight relay upgrade to be seen. 

As these looms look the business 👍 I will leave it in anyway. 

Thanks again for sorting the group buy out

20 hours ago, Cressa said:

I think it is an uprated Osram bulbs that I fitted way back, that give a nice white light. Looked good b4 and still do with the loom. May be slightly brighter with an extra .5 volts now. 

I was just surprised at the high voltage  I had before !!! With no known headlight relay upgrade to be seen. 

As these looms look the business 👍 I will leave it in anyway. 

Thanks again for sorting the group buy out

as long as you are happy that is the main thing

appreciate your thanks m8 & am glad the looms turned out as well as they did - was well worth persevering with the OE connectors

If your car came from factory with aircon maybe that has something to do with uprated electrics- who knows. then again I dont think any rhg came from factory with aircon. 

Edited by Keyo

4 hours ago, Keyo said:

If your car came from factory with aircon maybe that has something to do with uprated electrics- who knows. then again I dont think any rhg came from factory with aircon. 

It's the Diavia kit, as no factory aircon for a RHD unfortunately.... still confusing 

Bringing this back alive for the recent poster. Pictures show the most recent kurzy looms. 

Hi everyone, 

Electrics are my weak point to say the least but I know the 3 way fuse and the ralays are open to the elements on this loom so Im looking to waterproof these area . 

The last picture I have seen on ebay I cant find a 3 way but will that work 4 way water proof box ? Link below.

The relay section measures 9.5 cm long x 4 cm wide x 8cm with cabling. - I imagine I would have to cut the box and tape one side ?  Anyone have a link for a suitable box ? 

Thanks in advance. 

9E1ED4B1-5798-487D-AC58-40B23CA570A7.jpeg

2258E862-4441-44B7-8F47-E8AC374D3E1E.jpeg

5BE67D39-129F-43B4-A7E5-F5B4F70D111E.jpeg

5E155BED-2A99-4BEC-91AB-A3C1624B4D58.jpeg

235DCD77-A847-4041-B198-24C735BAAECD.jpeg

Would picture below work for the inline 3 fuses ? 

B63A674C-3F5E-4E1A-9A2D-ECFD9C3776FE.jpeg

DDF679E7-410D-4869-9A45-F83A48B29A64.jpeg

Edited by Keyo

So have just purchased this for the inline fuses cant see why it should not work. 

4 WAY 12V INLINE BLADE FUSE SIDE HOLDER BOX WITH LID + 4 x 20AMP FUSES FU23 | eBay

So lets see some good ideas for the relays to be waterproofed members 😀

Or is this the only real solution to buy this and get the cables out the existing relay housing holder?  Still the the rears of the cables into relays will still be open to elements . 

Quality 4 Way Relay Box Holder for Standard 12V 24V 4 / 5 Pin Automotive Relays | eBay

Thanks 

Edited by Keyo

Just get a waterproof/sealed electronics project box that will fit the relays, and then you cut a hole in the side for a special wiring grommet that is weatherproof - RS Electronics or similar should have all that. One end of the wires will need to be disconnected either way - to be honest, first loom I had I just put them in a ziploc bag beside the battery, and that worked just as well!