ABV-VR6

Any stereo to recommend for the Corrado?

34 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Ok ABV you win im not sure how many way the speakers are on a gamma 3 but its 4 way on a gamma 4 ,

I set you a challenge try and find this rare Gamma 3 released in the USA market with an aux which the standard do not have,

ggg.jpg

Why

2 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Why

It has the CD point very rare they never come with them so very sought after.  

You don't like the Gamma 3 or the cd input??? 

Me, CD in or not, I like that it matches the dimples from the dash switches. But that's just me. Oh and Keyo, I value extremely your point of views. I don't want to win, just exchange with mates that have way more knowledge than I have. Cheers! 

To be honest, it's just to fill the hole and look age appreciate. I never listen to music when the best simphony comes from the VR! 

6 minutes ago, ABV-VR6 said:

You don't like the Gamma 3 or the cd input??? 

Me, CD in or not, I like that it matches the dimples from the dash switches. But that's just me. Oh and Keyo, I value extremely your point of views. I don't want to win, just exchange with mates that have way more knowledge than I have. Cheers! 

To be honest, it's just to fill the hole and look age appreciate. I never listen to music when the best simphony comes from the VR! 

Your getting it wrong chap Im saying yes to Gamma 3 I like it - the picture above is a very rare version of Gamma 3. its  with a CD input to right bottom of it-  so I set you a challenge see if you can find one.  English slang when you say OK you win means Ok agree with you. 

Don't worry about Shaun he wears one yellow sock and one green . 🙂

Edited by Keyo

Sorry, the first lines were for Shaun! 

And yes the rest was for you Keyo! Well I'm glad you like it as well. I'll do some search around and keep you posted. I would not mind having that cd in but I won't pay double just for it... Cheers! 

3 minutes ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Sorry, the first lines were for Shaun! 

And yes the rest was for you Keyo! Well I'm glad you like it as well. I'll do some search around and keep you posted. I would not mind having that cd in but I won't pay double just for it... Cheers! 

Im actually on the hunt myself for Gamma 3 for my Mk2 golf as its 91 model- I know for a fact that Gamma 3 came on USA Corrado in till about 93 so is correct factory unit but after Gamma 4 .  Gamma 3 tend to be double the price as gamma 4 as rarer because I suppose older and less for sale. 

Edited by Keyo

So that confirms my thoughts, late spec Corrado had the newer Gamma 4 but I really like the fit of the Gamma 3, just not 100% period correct but I can live with it I think! I'll let you know what I find! 

5 minutes ago, ABV-VR6 said:

So that confirms my thoughts, late spec Corrado had the newer Gamma 4 but I really like the fit of the Gamma 3, just not 100% period correct but I can live with it I think! I'll let you know what I find! 

Cool mate Gamma 3 cost around £200 in Europe so im still waiting for a bargain Gamma 3  or perhaps still the modern Blaupunkt Bremen. Gamma 4 around £100 on Europe. 

Edited by Keyo

Bremen is what I wanted originally but after reading the newer reviews I'm kind of hesitant. If it was half the cost I would be down even after reading those but not at a premium cost. 

https://www.amazon.com/BLAUPUNKT-Bremen-SQR-46-DAB/dp/B07XVMBKW4

Also back in the days with my MK2 16V, I went all in with blaupunkt, well I got nothing but frustrations. Problems with the sub, the speakers, the radio, the amp. 16 years ago I told myself never again... Back in the days they were telling me, you have to go with their top quality or you run into problems... Yeah, it was pretty pricey already enough and I didn't like being told that. That shop were the only ones carrying it and they don't anymore... 

I mean Walmart is pretty much the only one who sells blaupunkt here now and that is not a compliment... And the fact it was transferred to the Chinese I think in 2015 is a "deterrent" to me as well. 

That said I like it a lot but with the cost and the newer reviews I'm out... 

I've been thinking of the original SQR45 instead which is German and green illumination but rare and old and pricey too. 

5 minutes ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Bremen is what I wanted originally but after reading the newer reviews I'm kind of hesitant. If it was half the cost I would be down even after reading those but not at a premium cost. 

Also back in the days with my MK2 16V, I went all in with blaupunkt, well I got nothing but frustrations. Problems with the sub, the speakers, the radio, the amp. 16 years ago I told myself never again... Back in the days they were telling me, you have to go with their top quality or you run into problems... Yeah, it was pretty pricey already enough and I didn't like being told that. That shop were the only ones carrying it and they don't anymore... 

I mean Walmart is pretty much the only one who sells blaupunkt here now and that is not a compliment... And the fact it was transferred to the Chinese I think in 2015 is a "deterrent" to me as well. 

I've been thinking of the original SQR45 instead which is German and green illumination but rare and old and pricey too. 

Yes I like the original;  Bremenl unit think it was used in Porsche and Merc. Becker use to be a good brand as well - was it called the Becker Mexico. was pretty much NO1. 

21 minutes ago, fendervg said:

"CD IN" - were you supposed to plug in a Sony Discman? Didn't realise these existed.

I knew you would like that Fen - think it is basically an aux= I know a lad in the UK who owns one, which his mate in the USA posted to him. 

See what you mean about the complete CD speaker system - very pricey and speakers like moths . 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Gamma-3-CD-USA-model-with-original-Aktiv-system-and-original-Cd-support-/254207330408

Edited by Keyo

Fen that unit is called the deluxe audio.  P.s not my video on the phone lol. 

23 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

You guys need to dig your shell suits out, then you can look the part too

^Haha - the taste in music in that demo video is hilarious as well, each to their own....

On 11/5/2020 at 8:06 PM, ABV-VR6 said:

Hello ABV,

did you sort a head unit? Going through the same myself so would be interested to know what you choose 👍

cheers!

Well, I ended up buying a Gamma III. it's period correct, the buttons have the same "dimples" as the late style dash. I personally think it fits right in the Corrado. But that's me and everyone has different tastes. 

One like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Gamma-3-Philips-CC-Radio-player-Mk2-Golf-Jetta-2-GTI-Passat-Corrado-Scirocco/154399514244?hash=item23f2ed9e84:g:Y-4AAOSwIaJgZy2p

On 4/5/2021 at 9:38 PM, v11boy said:

Hello ABV,

did you sort a head unit? Going through the same myself so would be interested to know what you choose 👍

cheers!

Bit of a thread revival

Where did you get to with this @v11boy?

Im going though options now, in honesty will probably go for a retro look with current tech than a period correct model; this led me to the Bremen same as others 

Edited by Stone0311

- Gamma III or better IV for period that correct retro look, you can get aux and bt modules for these and the IV will operate a changer

- Blaupunkt Bremen SQR 46 if you have lots of money and don't wnat a CD changer

- Nakamichi CD35/45z in green illumination or CD300/500, but these are hard to find and pricey

- Or for a budget option that still looks good and has green lighting, the VDO CD unit from a Hyunday Coupe/Getz (this is documented on here somewhere)

I'm sure there's lots of other possibilities - really depends on the input/outputs you would like and how space age you want to go with disco lighting etc.!

Fendervg draw the perfect conclusion I would say. You can't go wrong with any of these, from there is a mater of taste, style, budget...