Cressa

Fuel additives, anyone use them ?

Not going to let today be an empty one for the Forum.

I realised I have very little fuel in Karmann and even though I am not using her, I dont want this awful ethanol shite upsetting things.

I've always used the posh super juice but now even that has ethanol. Hopefully I last filled up before all of this started

My question is ' Does anyone use any of the fuel additive products'?

I have just bought some to stabilise the fuel that I have for 2 stroke tools which is supposed to give it a longer shelf life

Hello Cressa.

Can i ask which additive did you use - there are plenty out there no doubt some are good and do what they say while others are rubbish

Where i live we get super unleaded not super plus and i have noticed the labels on the pump show it has the same ethanol content as plain unleaded

As you my car is in storage for the winter and i generally only use it for a weekend blast and in the last 2 years i dont think it has done 1000 miles 

i generally start it once a week to let it idle to temperature (if it sits more than 10-14 days it will not start with a flat battery)

Keen to start using an additive.

BG products have loads of different cleaners and additives. I've used the BG44k previously though can't say there was any noticeable difference. Much like Redex I suppose.

I purchased a Briggs & Stratton version for the petrol which i use in my lawnmower and hedgecutters etc..  And because the corrado is stuck in the garage I wondered what to use. I have read that it is better to keep the tank full but surely that would mean

more ethanol = more water = BAD...

As I too let mine warm up every week I now need some fuel in her. I may just try some in a 5 litre can and see how the car is.

I will have a look at the BG products Sean, especially if you havent noticed a difference 

Screenshot_20211204-100844_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Cressa

I was recommended this product by the mechanic I get to work on the VR6. He is into his old Volkswagens and uses it on his Mk1 GTI.

I have not used it yet, but happy for people to pass their comments and see if it’s suitable.

DE99BA3F-0B70-4D53-9B67-676B50DB5290.jpeg

I am using that Lucas product myself - seems alright so far. I use it with premium fuel as even that has ethanol in it.

From what I have read, the Ethanol ones help stop the water absorption. And it messing with the rubber items. The one I bought is to extend the life of the fuel as it may be sat during the winter months in a can. I normally run my equipment until empty in the winter so as not to have deposit issues.But the Corrado has fuel in and I cant get her out to use at the moment. Apparently this one can be used in cars too, so i will see how it goes now that i have it.

Gents, where did you get the Lucas brand from? When i searched i kept getting American sites so i gave up with that on postage costs

Ah ok, thanks Cressa. Useful to know. Not used my corrado for about a year (sorn'd it) and it too has some fuel but needs a little but is running low. But i don't want any new fuel sitting there eating up the rubbers etc

Hasan

Ditto I got it off Amazon.

Also if parking it up it's good idea to have a full tank as it limits the air space available for condensation to occur 

38 minutes ago, MJA said:

Ditto I got it off Amazon.

Also if parking it up it's good idea to have a full tank as it limits the air space available for condensation to occur 

Is that right? I didn't know that, I tend to run it low before I park it up. Off to Shell......

Edited by ben_wooduk

MOD personnel are trained to fill their diesel tanks at night to help prevent water absorption of the fuel. Always fill mine up with Shell super when it’s stood for any time including its respray and reassemble. 

I had read that numerous times before. But was also thinking

More fuel 

=  more ethanol

= more water absorption 

The 70litre tank hurts at the petrol pump with super unleaded, but is all they deserve

I normally keep mine topped up, but she is well and truly blocked in. 

I could do 14 trips with a Jerry can 🤣

I bought a 20litre petrol can recently - makes the job easier for the projects at home. 

I think the thinking behind a full tank when stored up is becuase fuel is hydroscopic and absorbs moisture from the air. If you fill the tank there is less air to absorb moisture from. Diesel is worse than petrol. Not sure what the added deal is with ethanol within the fuel too but I could see a situation where even premium E5 fuel becomes contaminated over a winter layup if the tank is not full. 

30 minutes ago, MJA said:

I bought a 20litre petrol can recently - makes the job easier for the projects at home. 

I think the thinking behind a full tank when stored up is becuase fuel is hydroscopic and absorbs moisture from the air. If you fill the tank there is less air to absorb moisture from. Diesel is worse than petrol. Not sure what the added deal is with ethanol within the fuel too but I could see a situation where even premium E5 fuel becomes contaminated over a winter layup if the tank is not full. 

👍