Sign in to follow this  
kebabman

Tyres

Ok, I've finally destroyed my trusty old BF Goorich Profiler G's so i'm tryin gto decide what to replace them with....

All in all i've been very happy with them (despite them being american :lol:) so i've looked at the new version, the imaginativly titled, 'G profile', which i can get for £68 a corner.

The new Toyo T1-R's are the same price, and Goodyear F1's are more at £87 a corner because they only come in the next speed rating up.

The last place I called offered me Avon Milleniums for £50 a corner which is very tempteing! He recon'd that they were virtually identical in performance to the BF's and Toyos but had slightly more road noise....so i'm tempted.

Guess i'm just looking for some opinions really....anyone tried these makes? Are the avons crap? Is it pointless paying more for the higher speed rated F1s? :?

Any thought appreciated, Cheers :)

pirrelli p6000 didnt ispire much confidence in the wet but were very long lasting

then

Falken (cant remember the code) better dry and wet grip

then

toyo proxes t1-s excellent dry grip, wet is good - did increase road noise homever and are quite soft so may not last that long (depends on your driving though eh?)

but thats all im gonna put on from now on, for the price i would say get them

have a look here for good prices and reviews 8) http://www.mytyres.co.uk/start.html

Not sure what size your wheels are but sounds expensive for F1's

I was ringing around for them at the weekend and got the price down to £186 for all 4

195 50 15's though, havn't got them yet but heard they're amazing......

I've got a VR6 on the standard speedline rims, 205/50/R15s....i know places like mytyres.co.uk seem cheap, but everywhere charges loads for fitting tyres bought elsewhere, in my experience it's actually worked out more expensive overall.

£186 for four F1s sounds very cheap! :shock: Who's that from?

The 205 profile on a 15 inch is expensive due to it being a strange size for a 15 inch wheel..... hence why the 195's are cheaper as they are a common size for the 15 inch wheel

Don't really want to deviate from standard tyre size though, handles beautifully....guess I'll just have to pay more :(

I've had the F1s on both my VR6 and my old Scirocco as well as Yokohamas and other "sport" tyres and I can't recommend them enough. They're as grippy as most average sport tyres in the dry but in wet/greasyconditions (i.e. England) they are in a league of their own. Don't wear very fast either and lowish road noise. The only downside is cost but definitely worth the extra outlay as once you have them fitted you find yourself wondering why everyone is driving so slowly in the rain!

When I got my current set I phoned around a few places and the average price was about £80 a wheel including balancing and fitting, thats for the standard 15 inch Speedline wheels. It pays to play the tyre fitters against each other though as I managed to get mine fitted for just over £290 including getting the tracking checked at the same time.

Just had two G Profile fitted for £45 each - seem a decent tyre for the money

I had the profiler G's too 8) , very underrated tyre. I would have these again any time.

F1s are the puppy's privates, just fitted them up front and they are brilliant. Had Continental Sport Contacts and Michelin Piloty SX on there previously. The F1s are taking it to the next level and will pay for themselves in smiles

The F1 GSD2s on 15" are rubbish. They're no where near as good as the GSD3s (not available in 15"). I had a set of them and one of them developed a bubble in the sidewall after a month. The sidewalls are too soft and squishy for them to be considered a performance tyre and their wet performance, whilst good, was no better than the Bridgestones I had on previously and subsequently went back to.

So given the standard 15" speedlines running the correct width and profile etc. which tyre would be the best to go for in terms of all round ability versus cost and road noise?

There is no easy answer to that. Tyres are as subjective as every other topic that comes up for debate, such as oils, G60 v VR6, suspension, ICE, you name it.....

Nobody on here has tried *all* of the brands, although I've come close, and have found Bridgestone Potenza RE720s to be the best all rounder. It's a performance tyre with dual compound rubber (the more it wears, the grippier it becomes), very stiff sidewalls, rim protectors and a very broad and square shouldered profile. They're so fat, a lot of people ask me if they're 16s!

Quiet they are not though. They're probably the nosiest tyre I've ever used to be honest, but that doesn't bother me.

That's my opinion of a great allrounder and not to be taken as gospel.

I went from a set of Yoko's to a set of F1's and I *personally* found the difference incredible, I'm swinging into corners with double the confidence I had before, quiet too.

Got quoted £186 for 15 inch GSD3's from local tyre dealer who claimed he would undercut any quote i got

Beleive me i phoned eveywhere and they ARE available for 15's

Kwik Fit quoted me £190 fitted

Got quoted £186 for 15 inch GSD3's from local tyre dealer who claimed he would undercut any quote i got

X-Spurt Tyres??

The GSD3's are ok I think, They are just not available in 205's (for the VR6)

Goodyear have had a hell of a lot of problems latly tho, according to several sources they have a warehouse full of defective F1's...

Hi alan it was autofit actually, i've since heard that goodyear are gonna stop making F1's , they're replacing them hydragrips????

The Potenza's sound good though Kev

Hi alan it was autofit actually, i've since heard that goodyear are gonna stop making F1's , they're replacing them hydragrips????

'They've re-badged it'

Goodyear have had a hell of a lot of problems latly tho, according to several sources they have a warehouse full of defective F1's...

Yeah, and one of mine is in there no doubt!

Shan't be using F1s again until they launch the GSD3 in 15" flavour.

How much are the Bridgestones Kev? They sound good! Was at Santapod this weekend and noticed that the stunt driver was using the new Toyo T1-Rs ,so they must be pretty good, might give them a try and report back :)

Around about the £50-£60 mark.

Toyo T1-R? They sound interesting......might have to sample those when the Bridgees are worn down :lol:

Around about the £50-£60 mark.

Toyo T1-R? They sound interesting......might have to sample those when the Bridgees are worn down :lol:

Are they the same as the new R888's? They're Toyo's new ones that are supposed to be better then the T1's... anybody tried them? They do look a little slick to be any good in the wet though

http://www.toyo.co.uk/index.php?fuseaction=car.R888