seanl82

Corrado sales

29 minutes ago, Keyo said:

The biggest catch with a Corrado is you need to build your own spares supply which can be costly

And time consuming.

Personally, I’m just looking where my priorities lie. And for the next few years, it isn’t with a car sat in the garage, whatever it’s worth.

The 8v isn’t too bad to live with, as we all know, the mechanicals are off the shelf. But getting hold of a windscreen trim was a faff, but did highlight the potential lack thereof in the future.

The VR continues to frustrate. Refurbed clutch and brake master, 4 bar fuel pump etc. It all adds up and helps dull the shine.

There still seems to be plenty of people out there willing to buy blind and roll the dice on them, helping to hold the prices up.

Which will always help those of us holding.

I have considered selling mine, even contacted car and classic last week for an appraisal. They said Corrado's unusually do better at auction than private ads but I had my eyes open that they earn commission so of course would like to see it listed.

They said they'd put a reserve on it as £11-12k if I went for it as a fairly standard Corrado VR6, black leather, 155k, 5 owners, big mechanical refurb mostly at Stealth, 25 years of service stamps and receipts, only top end of engine rebuilt, windows out paint and I showed them pictures of the underside + sills (arrow straight, no rot) but I never powdercoated the frames. I did not offer my 16in Speedlines.

I'd still be upside down at that price as many who have tried to restore know the game. If I was sensible I probably would get out now and buy something else as I will still perfect the car if it remains with me. That said the only winner would be the buyer in that sceanrio and it feels a bit gut wrenching to sell it for only a few grand more than a "low mile" example that has had no TLC/Restore work done. I know first hand how bad low mile old cars are - I have a 78k mk3 16v golf I am working on and it is a right little biatch on crusty bolts. 

Having thought about it over the weekend I am 80% sure I am keeping it. For me it is the regret that will get me if I see it go and if I end up buying another one I will have to do all the work again at great cost. Better the devil you know and all that. Touch wood the car is reliable and I don't really think twice about doing a 100 mile trip plus over the last 1000 miles it has not used a drop of oil on the dipstick so fingers crossed nothing major to deal with in the near future. The car is also well rust proofed with cavity wax everywhere.

Edit to add - agree with Keyo - its spares that are the key to ownership. I have some fogs and am putting corrado farm yard plastic fogs on the car. I want to find spare headlights. I've got quite a few other things but it's the front end that worries me the most - a minor prang could make life very difficult in future but if I had the parts in stock then it would be less stressful.

Rado.jpg

Sill.jpg

Edited by MJA

10 hours ago, Tigerfish said:

I can’t decide whether to sell mine, or just moth ball it in the garage. I’ve just bought something else as a spare mile muncher due to my dad passing away and needing to make regular visits to my mum. The Corrado was ok for me, but the mrs wasn’t a fan of it for a six hour round trip in a day.

It owes me nothing, had it 11 years, paid £1500 when I got it, and spent very little on it over the years. Service parts in the main (tyres, brakes, odd ball joint, brake lines, etc), plus odds and sods as upgrades.

I still love driving it, so in the short term, I’ll pop the engine out and do the chain and tensioners while I don’t need it as a second set of wheels. Longer term, I’m still out on what to do with it. If it is garaged and covered, is it likely to develop big issues in the end? Like I say, it’s cost me very little to own and run over the 11 years, which is pretty good really. Only current issues with it is the sunroof (standard… lol) and literally the last time I used it the passenger window stopped working. What would you all do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My situation is exactly the same, all be it 6 years ago and the car remains in the garage. What I have found that some cars "fit" me much better than others, MK4 Golf and the Corrado, so I'll just keep the Corrado until the day I can't physically drive it (55 and already have arthritis in both wrists and thumbs, knees and hips not too far behind) I'll widen the drive before the car goes....

At a local coffee and car meet I totally ignore the Maclarens, Lambos, new Porsches and head for the older stuff and 80s, 90s German stuff with the odd brit car thrown in, basically I'm in my own time warp. The Corrado is staying.

12 hours ago, fendervg said:

The one that went to Ireland disappeared into a black hole it seems - probably some private collection or something.

I would know most of the cars over here, or at least have heard of them.

They had to put it in hiding in case Steven Harper got his tools near it 😂

11 hours ago, Tigerfish said:

I can’t decide whether to sell mine, or just moth ball it in the garage. I’ve just bought something else as a spare mile muncher due to my dad passing away and needing to make regular visits to my mum. The Corrado was ok for me, but the mrs wasn’t a fan of it for a six hour round trip in a day.

It owes me nothing, had it 11 years, paid £1500 when I got it, and spent very little on it over the years. Service parts in the main (tyres, brakes, odd ball joint, brake lines, etc), plus odds and sods as upgrades.

I still love driving it, so in the short term, I’ll pop the engine out and do the chain and tensioners while I don’t need it as a second set of wheels. Longer term, I’m still out on what to do with it. If it is garaged and covered, is it likely to develop big issues in the end? Like I say, it’s cost me very little to own and run over the 11 years, which is pretty good really. Only current issues with it is the sunroof (standard… lol) and literally the last time I used it the passenger window stopped working. What would you all do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would do as you plan in the short term but for the longer term - get some bigger jobs done whilst it is a weekend car. Keep the car on the road and running regularly otherwise it will just detoriate - tyres, calipers will stick, fuel will go stale, pumps will sieze, injectors will block up from crystalisation, MOT will run out and years will fly by. The car will end up a full on project  come disposal or recommission if moth balled and perhaps cars that are stored away right now already had bodywork issues so that compounded with mechanical issues from sitting could be unnecessary curtains for the car. I'm not saying this will happen to you(!) but it's how I see it playing out for moth balled cars. I'm bringing back a mk3 golf 16v that has sat moth balled since 2017 and did little mileage during its life - it has turned into a massive recommission of welding, mechanicals and bodywork. New bolts alone are already at the sizeable cost. It looked really tidy when I got it aside from lacquer peel! Then you have to ask yourself how many people are likely to go to that effort - not many.

Edited by MJA

11 hours ago, fendervg said:

Well, a Corrado (or any car for that matter) doesn't need to be perfect or have a lot of money sunk into it to be enjoyed and put a smile on your  face - one of my all time favourites was a 1987 Audi Coupe Quattro that could at best have been described as in middling condtion, but I loved it every time I drove it, even if it was missing half the dash and the door cards most of the time. My current VR6 has given over 10 years of great ownership, now needs some work and tidying up, but I always look forward to getting behind the wheel and it never dissapoints.

I would say that in my opinion the Corrado is not a wise investment vehicle, rather a driver's car - that territory belongs to things like the classic air-cooked 911 and the like.

1987 Audi Quattro UR For Sale By Auction (carandclassic.com)

They had to put it in hiding in case Steven Harper got his tools near it

Haha - the horror! next video “how to completely destroy a campaign with ordinary household tools and reassemble into a Ford Fiesta”

34 minutes ago, fendervg said:

Haha - the horror! emoji41.pngemoji28.png next video “how to completely destroy a campaign with ordinary household tools and reassemble into a Ford Fiesta”

Who is steven harper??

2 hours ago, ger040 said:

Who is steven harper??

He does how to videos on YouTube for corrado fixes.

it’s worth watching even if you don’t always agree with the content 

https://youtube.com/user/harpersteven

Edited by Dox

21 minutes ago, Keyo said:

The Mk2 16v is absolutely smashing records now- its gone over the Mk1  now- 3dr - 16v - original is the formula. 

https://www.historics.co.uk/buying/auctions/2022-05-21/cars/ref-148-1987-volkswagen-golf-gti-mk-ii-v16-jt/

49196435-36A5-4091-A2F2-928BAEFAC9FB.jpeg

wow that is strong money that is - a good sign for us all hopefully

it is sales like this that make me want to keep hold of the 16v corrado, yes ok it is not a low miler but it is all genuine

2 minutes ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

wow that is strong money that is - a good sign for us all hopefully

it is sales like this that make me want to keep hold of the 16v corrado, yes ok it is not a low miler but it is all genuine

It would be natural to look at a 16v corrado if you got priced out from the Mk2 16V so does give hope. Thing is with the Mk2 they have been absolutely mutilated  by engine swaps and bad taste mods so simply aint that many nice examples that could be back to stock- seems to be shit loads of VR6 that are tatty for sale but a good base for renovation. 

Great price. The UK loves a hot-hatch and that one has done particularly well considering it isn't the more desired big bumper version. I hope the Corrado follows suit being 5 or so years behind the mk2 in age but my gut feel is that it won't perform quite as well. 

In realitive terms there are still quite a lot of Corrado VRs knocking about compared to mk2 16vs. It will be interesting to see how the market plays out if numbers lessen, though I noted over the last 10 years Corrado numbers have not even halved yet Mk2 16v (inc mk3 16v as couldn't get the split) are only a 1/5 of what they were 10 years ago. Those were taxed and tested numbers I was looking at. Perhaps Corrados have been cossetted weekend drivers where as the mk3/mk2 16v were used as dailys and killed off to current numbers.

42 minutes ago, MJA said:

Great price. The UK loves a hot-hatch and that one has done particularly well considering it isn't the more desired big bumper version. I hope the Corrado follows suit being 5 or so years behind the mk2 in age but my gut feel is that it won't perform quite as well. 

In realitive terms there are still quite a lot of Corrado VRs knocking about compared to mk2 16vs. It will be interesting to see how the market plays out if numbers lessen, though I noted over the last 10 years Corrado numbers have not even halved yet Mk2 16v (inc mk3 16v as couldn't get the split) are only a 1/5 of what they were 10 years ago. Those were taxed and tested numbers I was looking at. Perhaps Corrados have been cossetted weekend drivers where as the mk3/mk2 16v were used as dailys and killed off to current numbers.

a big consideration there would relate to the total number of those vehicles sold

compare the mk2 golf production of 6.3 million to less than 10,000 of the corrado

It’s a nice car, best colour etc a lot of money… 

wrong wheels? Should be coke bottle tops?

11 minutes ago, Dox said:

It’s a nice car, best colour etc a lot of money… 

wrong wheels? Should be coke bottle tops?

Correct bottle tops although P slots were an option on 8V but not 16V - also the colour is controversial as some say did not exist and should be a Monze blue. Stratos blue was not an option for a gti - could be a one off.  

Edited by Keyo

Found a few comments on it. 

I remember this car, I was told that the first owner specified P-Slots from the factory (or dealer) as he didn't like the bottle tops. It is definitely Stratos Blue, which is pretty rare in the UK, and was sold on Car & Classic a couple of years ago for around £18K. It's had at least 3 owners that I know of. Unusual that it has the quarter lights and RHD wipers, I assume it was a changeover spec in 1987? 

Owner but 1 (so its not o 1 owner car. 

Kelly Withers

It’s Stratos blue and totally OEM, as built at the factory. I think 6 owners now. It is a special car with lots of unusual factory options…P slots, heated seat, headlight washers, spot lights etc…totally original too, no paint/damage etc…as close to new condition you are likely to find. I paid £9700 for it in 2015. Quite a rise in 5 years!

Andy Milnes

Kelly Withers I remember this car when it was up for sale in 2015. Super rare options and I remember it being specced by someone who worked at Bentley if I remember correctly?

Kelly Withers

Andy Milnes you are correct

So this is how it is. 

Purchased 7 years back for £9700

Sold auction 2 years back for £18K

Sold auction this weekend for £33K

So it has an annual appreciation OF say 3 k every year since 2015, bit better then 0.1 interest savings account at Halifax. 

Edited by Keyo

25 Corrado’s for sale on EBay today. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that many for sale on one site before. A fair few listing are dealers too. 

I noticed the volume of cars for sale too, some have been knocking about for a long time. Sign of the time (recession, cost of living) or typical pre summer sales or perhaps both. I don't recall seeing so many. 

Interesting to see the helios blue GTI engineering slowly tumble back down to what it was advertised at on the lot in Manchester (10k if i recall). It is with a different seller started at - 16k, 13k ( i enquired at that point and on all adverts it went back up to 16k), back to 13k, 12k today. It's a 7/8k car tops as does need recomissioning from sitting and even then it will smash corrado 16v values. Seller still appears to be a special one - see first line on advert about "mummys". 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294985231277?hash=item44ae7d6bad:g:4H4AAOSw5UtiLL5i

When I was selling my MK2, I took a lad on a 20 mile test drive, spent an hour on my drive chatting as he inspected everything only for him to say mum doesn't want me to buy it - she wasn't there and no mobile phones back then. 

I never did hear from him again.....

He couldn't use a clutch or change gear without crashing into them, a painful experience that left me scarred to this day

1 hour ago, Dox said:

When I was selling my MK2, I took a lad on a 20 mile test drive, spent an hour on my drive chatting as he inspected everything only for him to say mum doesn't want me to buy it - she wasn't there and no mobile phones back then. 

I never did hear from him again.....

He couldn't use a clutch or change gear without crashing into them, a painful experience that left me scarred to this day

I had it when a guy turned up with his Dad to look at the Aqua one I used as a bit of a parts car. He was really positive and loved it, but his Dad kept knocking him back saying about the mileage (circa 160 iirc). It was for sale for £1500 and absolutely worth that, even at the time. I told him if he didn't want it, there were a queue of people wanting it. He went away and said to give him a call if it didn't sell in the next couple of weeks. It sold the following day so when he called me the day after that saying he would have it after all, he was left very disappointed for having listened to negativity about mileage rather than condition.