daves16v

Back again - Aqua Blue 1995 VR6

looking great dave!

nice to see you back into it

have you renewed the fan motor & fans?  mine are something that linger on my mind

i dropped the VR6 off to my mechanic for an underside restoration on thursday

12 hours ago, daves16v said:

Haha yeah I'll be swapping out those bolts, I thought someone might pull me up on those.

Nice work 😎. The blue really pops in the light.

Just be careful with those bolts, they can spin the captive nut in the radiator, and then you’re in trouble. Personally, I’d clean them up in situ.

Looks awesome Dave 👌 gonna be a good one again.

did your plastic radiator guides come off the cowl ok? Mine all snapped to pieces.

On 12/3/2022 at 10:30 AM, g0ldf1ng3r said:

looking great dave!

nice to see you back into it

have you renewed the fan motor & fans?  mine are something that linger on my mind

i dropped the VR6 off to my mechanic for an underside restoration on thursday

Reused the fan motor and fans, got to keep an eye on spending.

On 12/3/2022 at 11:27 AM, James. said:

Nice work 😎. The blue really pops in the light.

Just be careful with those bolts, they can spin the captive nut in the radiator, and then you’re in trouble. Personally, I’d clean them up in situ.

Yeah good shout with the bolts, got enough on without more problems.

On 12/3/2022 at 6:36 PM, ChrisL said:

Looks awesome Dave 👌 gonna be a good one again.

did your plastic radiator guides come off the cowl ok? Mine all snapped to pieces.

One was not fitted, the other was fitted but pretty much in pieces.

13 hours ago, daves16v said:

Reused the fan motor and fans, got to keep an eye on spending.

ok m8 i see - good thinking

Slam panel looks lovely, did you paint it yourself?  Interesting the Aqua blue looks a bit, well Aqua in those pics. Slight turquoise tint, which would make sense with a name like Aqua Blue. Mine always has a bit more of a purple tint. Maybe just the camera! 

On 12/2/2022 at 9:50 PM, daves16v said:

A few more....

20221120_151342.jpg

20221202_160507.jpg

20221202_160519.jpg

20221202_160545.jpg

20221202_160622.jpg

Looking good Dave 👍 Where did you get the stainless steel radiator top brackets. I’ve looked around and can’t see them anywhere.

50 minutes ago, Corroda said:

Looking good Dave 👍 Where did you get the stainless steel radiator top brackets. I’ve looked around and can’t see them anywhere.

Dave has something of a history of fabricating one off parts in stainless, sometimes he’ll even market the odd morsel!

25 minutes ago, tonedef said:

Dave has something of a history of fabricating one off parts in stainless, sometimes he’ll even market the odd morsel!

I had picked up on that, but another trawl or the internet tonight and I found them on Corrado Farm Parts. They look better than the rusty pair listed on eBay for £50 🤔

On 12/5/2022 at 9:45 PM, oneohtwo said:

Slam panel looks lovely, did you paint it yourself?  Interesting the Aqua blue looks a bit, well Aqua in those pics. Slight turquoise tint, which would make sense with a name like Aqua Blue. Mine always has a bit more of a purple tint. Maybe just the camera! 

No, I had a local bodyshop do the work.

14 minutes ago, Corroda said:

I had picked up on that, but another trawl or the internet tonight and I found them on Corrado Farm Parts. They look better than the rusty pair listed on eBay for £50 🤔

I've been making these for 10+ years. The difference with others is they cut them from polished stainless which is ok but that's it, you won't get a hand polished finish and the edges are raw cut and not polished, there is a big difference. Polishing with mobs is a time consuming process but the end result is far superior. I have done basic unpolished versions for those who are on a smaller budget.

The items in my photos have been supplied by myself but were sold to a previous owner of the car, strange that it's come back to me.

18 hours ago, daves16v said:

Oh and I do the brackets underneath in stainless too, if you zoom in you can just make them out.

Hi Dave, thanks for the response. It’s good to know these are available as it’s frustrating that you can only get the parts for the earlier cars, which I bought before by mistake.

I have already ordered the radiator brackets from CFP, assuming that’s where you got them as they look near identical. I get your point about them being reduced quality, but they will be getting powder coated satin black as I’m looking for a more OEM finish.

Your car’s coming along great 👍

I've been pretty busy since my last post, swapped the heater matrix and refurbed the heater box flaps and removed all the old wiring foam and re-wrapped.

Windscreen was also replaced, was dreading the condition underneath but needn't have worried, my screen fitter hadn't see one in better condition so really happy with that.

I've also spent hours and hours under the bonnet, photos for a later date.

Currently working on rear beam refurb and front subframe etc.

20230606_154926.jpg

20230607_181853.jpg

20230606_155014.jpg

20230523_184246.jpg

20230523_203223.jpg

20230529_211615.jpg

20230519_194307.jpg

20230606_175155.jpg

The dash OUT job has to be one of the most rewarding.  You can get to sort all sorts of old issues out. Looks great 👍.

I think I even silicone lubed my heater cables and sorted the jumping Cog on the heater controls. It's nice to know you won't be having anymore old pieces of sponge flying out of the vents 

Looks spot on Dave, where did you get the screen and is it the one with the green band on the top?

did you do the foams on the 4 dash vents too?

Yeah dash out was very rewarding in the end.

Pilkington Classics for the screen and no it doesn't have the Green band, I prefer it without to be honest.

I replaced every piece of foam whilst the dash was out, I wanted a thorough job doing considering the size of the overall task.