Sign in to follow this  
Tekara

Strange noise from the front end

Wondering if anyone might be able to shed a little light on what seems a rather major problem.

My Corrado has starting making this really nasty grinding juddery sound when pulling away from a cold start (Left to stand for more than an hour).

It only happens when the car is going in a straight line, then this juddering grinding sound comes from the front end. Only happens at low speed 15-30mph sometimes it just a noise and you drive through it. Other times there is a real resistance and the car feels like its braking with a little lurch thrown in for fun. Either way all you can do is keep going, its made me really wary of the car, which sadly is spoiling my fun.

Further to this the ABS is on the blink, at start light comes on then goes out as you fire her up. At any point during driving, whether it be braking or cruising the ABS light comes back on randomly. The garage i bought it from are going to diagnose the this and sort it.

Can anyone give me any suggestions as to what might cause the juddering grinding sound, or is it that the dodgy ABS is fouling things up. Im inclined at the moment to take the wheels off and change the pads.

Brakes sound like they are binding for some reason.

Pull up after 10 minutes driving and see how hot your alloy wheels are to they touch.. if they are WARM or even too hot to touch, you might want to get the brakes looked at promptly!

Could be the ABS being weird, as you say. It'll attempt to do "traction control" if you're not braking, too, so that would explain the slowing down feeling...

How could you tell if its the tranction control. I wasnt aware my VR6 had it, shows im a newb if thats the case.

If the wheels are hot after a short period of driving, whats a likely cause ? is it just rubbing brakes or is there something more sinister waiting to empty my wallet.

UPDATE:

:cry: wheels are warm after a 5mile curise without a great deal of braking

The brake caliper carriers tend to seize as they get older so this could be one cause.

That it stops as the speed rises above 30mph might mean it's the ABS Electronic Differential Lock function playing silly buggers.

If it's the former, now is the time to upgrade to 288mm brakes from a Mk3.

If it's the latter, think in terms of a new ABS controller (come up on eBay for ~£50 from time to time)

The way to find out if it's the ABS is to disconnect one of the wheel sensors (do it at the plug on top of each of the front suspension towers). Your ABS light will then stay on permanently, but if the problem stops you've found the cause.

I might be wrong but it could be the abs sensor in the brake shoes - if the shoes are worn you could have metal to metal contact with the abs sensor which might explain the grinding and the fault.

Like I said I may be completely talking crap but I think there may a sensor embeded in the pad?? My Corrado does not have abs but I had a similar problem to yours on my Jag that was caused by what I have explained.

No brake shoes on Corrados... That's why the handbrakes are completely shite!! :)

I don't think UK Corrados got the brake pad wear sensors either, so there's no electrical connections to the wheel area other than the ABS sensor, which is fitted to the back of the hub.

Some UK Corrados DID come with pad wear indicators dr_mat... Mine has the wiring (and it works!) but I've never used the correct pads 'cos they cost more for less pad! :roll: :lol:

Doubt I'll ever use 'em now I've got my Brembos! :lol: 8)

Hi,

Just wondering what the final diagnosis was for this problem, I think i've got exactly the same but not the wierd slowing down bit.

my '93 16 valver makes a bit of a grinding noise as i pull away but i would say that it was from the centre of the engine bay. Couple this with the good ol' intermittant ABS light and i think it is failing some kind of self-diagnostic check now and then.

Any ideas what i need doing? Also, can i do it myself or can anyone recommend a good corrado mechanic in Cardiff area?

Cheers

Some makes of brake pads have wear indicators on the final few MM of material, it causes a grinding rumbling noise, more noticeable at low speed.

Anyone find out the solution to this?? i have exact same problem. All discs and pads and bearings new. Will get sensors tested tomorrow, but its the grumble noise you get from a cold pull off thats odd. You can feel it through the brake pedal. ABS is also tempramental. i.e. sometimes it will come on and usually turn off as expected (abs clunk always apparent through pedal so thats okay). but sometimes wont turn off. Also if it has turned off it will invarably come on at some point but can take anything between a few seconds and ten minute of continuous driving!! Its the grumble through the pedal i find strange feels like the ABS is trying to do something.

I can't say that the grumble has gone away as I've not driven it for a year,

but the ABS light was a sensor and some seriously dodgy wiring - the previous owner had piggy backed both signals onto one sensor, so when I replaced the obviously duff one it didn't make any difference (becasue it wasn't plugged into anything :shock: )

I sorted the loom and replaced the other one too (which was obviously only intermittantly failing) and all was well lightwise.