Sign in to follow this  
dr_mat

Finally, due to popular demand!

My VR6!! :)

Let me introduce you guys. Meet "git" the Black VR6.

It's black, it's got black leather, it's pretty much completely standard apart from a great big shiny Schrick manifold and some exterior detailing (the red rear lights, the clear side repeaters, and a black rear VW badge). Currently sitting at 120k miles with a recent timing chain job to show for it!

The photos aren't completely current, and aren't great, but there you go..

The first pic, for example, was taken before the new wheels went on (more standard speedlines but NO CORROSION any more!), plus the rear VW badge is now black and shiny too.. :)

The second pic is a bit more "arty"... :lol:

Who the hell gives a sh1t?

:rofl: :lol:

Looks good dr_mat, about time you posted them up... I like the arty shot... shows off the paint nicely... I hadn't realised yours was a black/black Corrado, have you got aircon in there too? :onfire:

Looks good dr_mat, about time you posted them up... I like the arty shot... shows off the paint nicely... I hadn't realised yours was a black/black Corrado, have you got aircon in there too? :onfire:

Sadly no aircon, just open the windows and roof on the few days it's hot enough to worry about it!

The arty shot was taken with the camera on a tripod and about 5 inches from the side of the car, I mean really close up. Of course I had to lie in the grass to do that.. People were looking at me like I was some kind of idiot..! :lol:

The paint always looks good in pictures, it's not quite so impressive in person - it's got 120k miles on it, mostly motorway so the front end looks more like a pimply teenager than I'd like.. That said, it's not too bad, considering!

The paint always looks good in pictures, it's not quite so impressive in person - it's got 120k miles on it, mostly motorway so the front end looks more like a pimply teenager than I'd like.. That said, it's not too bad, considering!

:lol: Looks good tho 8) keep it nice and standard ;)

He just has very high standards, like someone else I could mention.....can't think who though :wink:

Yeah it is a clean example and I do like Black Corrados.

looks nice and clean. but I do have to say "HOW HIGH!!!". it looks like a cat when you try to put it in the bath!

get ot lowered, please..

love the lights. really suit the black car.

fancy some polished speedlines? :wink: on ebay now. :wink: :wink:

A few more pics from the way back from Stealth today. Needs a wash ... but hey!

So, since the last pics, the red tint wore off the back lights, the paintwork saw more inner-city abuse, I've had a new steering column fitted (wow, it feels totally different), loads more new parts. But the same basic VR6-plus-schrick-and-no-badges that it always was.

That first one makes me feel sick!!

Should put a hangover warning on that one!

What's been done at Stealth then, other than the steering column? (And how does it feel now?) Kev's been worried about the quality of his column recently.

Surprisingly psychologically effective, that zoom-effect thing isn't it? Fill the screen with it and sit really close to the screen if you really want to feel ill! :)

Where does one start? Stealth did new front calipers and goodridge hoses all round at the same time, and replaced a dodgy unichip.

Yes, I finally tracked down my sloppy steering to the column itself and decided to part with the dough and get it fixed (having sourced a replacement from a low miles car for not much cash!).

From speaking to Kev years back we were both pretty sure we had the same problem, so yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if he was very interested indeed! :)

Impressive camera / photography 8)

No longer sporting the VR6 tail badge then?

I think you must be in the remaining 3% of VR6 owners that have kept the standard ride height :-)

It's always a shock being reminded of how lofty the stock ride height is!!

Looking good anyhow....always liked Black Cs....

I think you must be in the remaining 3% of VR6 owners that have kept the standard ride height :-)

It's always a shock being reminded of how lofty the stock ride height is!!

Great for the recent weather though :lol:

Impressive camera / photography 8)

No longer sporting the VR6 tail badge then?

De-badged to protect the investment in badges!!

As for the ride height, well .. bit tall I know, but it still handles well and at least I can go sailing over speed cushions without stress .. :)

Holy thread rejuvenation batman!

Just thought I'd share this one with y'all. This was greeting me at the end of a 122 mile journey yesterday, cumulative average over the whole 2 hours. :)

Thats not bad going.. the old VR does seem to be able to produce better MPG figures than the woefully inefficient 2.0 16v! I've never had above a sustained 33MPG on my car, and even that was when driving like a fairy!

Its really not too shabby for a nearly 3 litre engine!

Wish I could see that kind of figure from my Passat - driving like a fairy I can just about scrape 30mpg but most of the time its around 24-25mpg

Even with 5 valves per cylinder I don't think the Audi lump is particularly efficient - plus the 4wd doesn't help

are you going to drop your C down any?

Nope. I like it how it is ..

I look at it like this: yes it would handle "better" lowered, yes it would look "better", but a) it handles well enough, b) I'm sitting inside it when I'm enjoying it so I don't really care what it looks like and c) I don't have to worry about the damn roads and speed bumps!

And meanwhile, 36.3 mpg, whilst it's true that I was driving carefully to get that figure, I wasn't travelling slowly (averaged 60mph over the whole journey), and even with the odd squirt of full throttle the figure didn't drop too much. It's a classic example of an understressed engine working well inside it's abilities. :)

Interesting post, Herr Doktor :)

I do a regular return journey of 126 miles and got 34mpg a few weeks ago and thought that was good.

I agree with you about lowering - mine is standard, too.

My son had his VR6's bumper damaged in one of our fave highland glens and his wasn't even lowered. Life has enough grief in it without worrying about whether your favourite car is going to scrape itself to destruction for the sake of looking cool or marginally improving cornering. :wink:

lowering when done right is on a good set of coilovers. so i would argue cornering when 'lowered' is more than 'marginally' improved