Sign in to follow this  
BeavisJem

What cheap car can i buy for

I need a car to do a twice weekly commute to london from norwich (135 miles)

Don;t want to put the miles on the rado so thats out of the equation

It needs to be Economical as possible (Diesel i think)

Cheap to buy

about 9 months mot

Just be dam cheap

Only needs to last a year thats it.

Any suggestions welcome, will only be sending it down the M11 4 times a week.

Beavisjem

If its a big car then i might even use it as my taxi :)

citreon ax diesel

or same engine but not as desirable........Metro 1.4D /Rover 115D.........had one as a second car(pre C days) for 6months+ 50mpg round town and PSA group mechanicals

vauxhall cavalier. Dirt cheap (to buy and to maintain), loads of them around and very spacious.. the boots huge! This is what I bought as a temp car before I got the corrado... and I still have it, never had any problems :)

I'm with Shilakadaddy, mate....

Near enough every bin of a runaround car i've had (i.e. before i owned a Corrado) has been Vauxhall.

No style

No cred

No grip (ever)

But despite my best efforts, I COULD NOT KILL THEM!

Get a cheap oily one. Run it into the good hard earth fr 12 months, then sacrifice it to the god of barbeque fuel!

You know it makes sense :)

Peugot 205 Diesel. Not as slow as you might think, and a great grin factor when cornering (once you get over the shock of the body roll). Currently going on eBay for about £300-700.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Tom

BeavisJem, I have a Seat Toledo TD for sale at the monment.

L reg

137,000 miles

10 months MOT

Taxed until 31.12.04

Dark'ish Blue

Power steering

4 Electric windows

Average 40-45mpg

4 doors

Alloy wheels

Average condition for year & mechanically sound.

I was looking for around £700 but may haggle a bit - send me a PM if your interested. :wink:

If you're looking for a cheap diesel it simply HAS to be Puegeot/Citroen. Cheap diesel from any other manufacturer means incredibly unrefined, incredibly loud, and incredibly slow. Puegeot got it right years and years ago.

And the TD variant is actually pretty pokey, particularly in a small Peugeot car - they're pretty light.

Oh, and the other bonus - the insurance is almost free! Group 5 or less even for the TD.

tomB said

Peugot 205 Diesel.

Yes - I have had one from new for 13 years. It has only 70k on the clock, though.

The 1.8 engine seems rock solid and is well proven. The car gallops along in 5th gear on motorways sailing past many of this year's models - we love it.

Lots of cheap parts available from GSand F. Our H reg seems a good vintage. We would not sell it because to us it is worth at least £2k.

Our local garage owner (formula-Ford racer and Ferrari owner) often comments on what a good design this car and its engine are. Makes me blush as I always do a good bit of research before buying a car and reckon I opted for a good un all those years ago. Took delivery of it on the day the first gulf war started.

Please dont blame me if you get a dog or a lemon, though - I am only trying to offer good advice!

Best of luck.

tomB said

Peugot 205 Diesel.

Yes - I have had one from new for 13 years. It has only 70k on the clock, though.

The 1.8 engine seems rock solid and is well proven. The car gallops along in 5th gear on motorways sailing past many of this year's models - we love it.

Lots of cheap parts available from GSand F. Our H reg seems a good vintage. We would not sell it because to us it is worth at least £2k.

Our local garage owner (formula-Ford racer and Ferrari owner) often comments on what a good design this car and its engine are. Makes me blush as I always do a good bit of research before buying a car and reckon I opted for a good un all those years ago. Took delivery of it on the day the first gulf war started.

Please dont blame me if you get a dog or a lemon, though - I am only trying to offer good advice!

Best of luck.

I worked as a driver at a peugeot dealer here in the north,

The 1.8 engine will do 200,000-250,000 no probs as long as the fuel and oil filters have regular changes.

the gearbox will go first,usually about 200k,just watch if it starts crunching.

The sceptres D turbos were lovely,as they were run out models just watch it doesnt have a beige dashboard :pukeleft: :pukeright:

Some models as spec eds had Britax sunroofs fitted at dealers,ok if not absued.

The only Real downside with peugeots is that they dont use plastic covered brake pipes so they have been known to fail on the first Mot,wheel bearings as its a heavy engine and brake pads,well they have to stop a lot as theres not much in the way of engine braking,oh and a carpet that was made from fuzzy felt,hard to keep good !

They are a good quality buy,the folks had a 106 1.4 diesel in top spec,not much gallop but when it got there always good for 47mpg @80mph down the m6

He has a 306 non turbo now that has been faultless,

its got 40+K on it and it sickens him the value of it on the street and he has the same opinion its worth far more to him than a trader and quite right Too !

A lot of people quickly switched onto diesels dont have to be just for farmers and look where we are today,its giving petrol engines a good run for their money.

I took the midway option and bought a mitsubishi with a GDI engine,basically a petrol engine with a diesel pump (gasoline direct injection)

chubbles