Sign in to follow this  
JBOB

100w Xenons

past the mot..2 years running,so no problem there..beeen behind police loads of times so no problem there either..and they are now where near as blinding as the new hid lights

What you do and the law are two seperate things. You may have gotten away with it so far but it's still illegal and that is beyond dispute.

do you think i dont know that??and ive got german style plates on my car now for 2 years and still no problems...and its hardly the crime of the century is it??

Henny, check for cracks in the wires - insulation may appear to be intact.

The surface of copper wires will oxidise when exposed to air and moisture but this won't affect the resistance of the wire itself.

Oxidised contacts are an entirely different matter though...

mike its a well known fact that the corrado headlights are well..not very bright...due to the voltage drop..by the time it reaches the headlights its something like 9volts instead of 12...THATS why people buy uprated wiring kits off gavin...then the bulbs get the needed 12volts

Okay, lets try again. :roll:

Cr*p headlight on the C result from low voltage to the bulbs and knackered reflectors.

The latter is made (a lot) worse by fitting bulbs over the standard 55/60W items and by water ingress.

The former can only result from either:

a. broken wires;

b. dodgy connections/switch contacts.

Both of these 2 will increase the resistance in the circuit from the battery to the fusebox, relay/fuse, switch, bulbs and eventually the earth, leading to reduced voltage to the headlight bulbs.

Finding the fault - even if you don't fix it but fit a supplimentary loom - does at least mean the same problem isn't affecting the rest of the cars wiring.

The ECUs for the engine management and ABS are significantly more voltage sensitive than the lights...

its the way vw have done the wiring that causes the votage drop...and nothing wrong with my refelectors from using over rated bulbs

do you think i dont know that??and ive got german style plates on my car now for 2 years and still no problems...and its hardly the crime of the century is it??

Cor, aren't you a hero :roll:

Now now boys its Friday and the weekends here - pour yourselves a drink.

dazzyvr6, why have you got German style plates out of interest?

3rd attempt...

One of the causes of poor headlights on the Corrado (and an MOT fail in extreme cases) is that the finish of the reflectors in the headlights degrades over time. Basically the mirror finish goes dull and/or flakes off.

If moisture gets into the headlight (say through a stone chip or perished seal) the condensation that forms inside the headlight makes this a lot worse.

Higher wattage (and generally hotter running) bulbs accelerate this.

The design of the wiring for the Corrado means that there are a lot of connections between the battery, bulbs and earth points. Oxidation of these over time results in lower voltage at the bulb. Cleaning the connections (particularly the earth) minimises this.

If anyone really needs further explanation, I'll have another go using shorter words... :p

I'm with ya there on the reflectors, Mike... When that stupid *£$~%@ in the 4x4 reversed into my car and smashed both headlamps, I couldn't believe the difference in the headlamp brightness when I replaced 'em with brand new items... It was unreal... And then I fitted one of Gav's Looms and that made it totally mind blowing... from a couple of candle power to a flippin' light house! :D 8)

Now now boys its Friday and the weekends here - pour yourselves a drink.

dazzyvr6, why have you got German style plates out of interest?

i originally bought them as show plates,i just couldnt be bothered to change them back :)

yep i sure am...i even do the jobs that need doing on my car myself unlike some people :p

LOL! If that was directed at me, then you're completely wrong! I let Stealth do all the heavy metal work because they have a ramp and I hate flexing the body too much with jacks. Everything else I do myself.....

i'vegot piaa extreme whites in mine which are good but i would like to see them with the upgraded loom

Paul, you know the score! :lol:

Gavin

btw isnt NLW rick astley country :wink:

Not only that, his sister lives over the road from me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

doh !! :lol:

do you have the looms ready or do you make to order ?

can you list the bulb #

headlight/main

sidelight

spots

cheers

I usually make them as I need to. However, in anticipation of a rush I have got 10 in 'production' at the moment.

Headlight bulb is H4

spot H3

sidelight 4-5W cap bulb not 100% on the part number

Gavin