Sign in to follow this  
JBOB

100w Xenons

I know all to well that Corrados have got headlight issues, mine are so bad sometimes that i dont know why i even turn them on.

I was going to do the headlight mod that ive found on this forum, but my mate has just given me some brand new still in box 100w Xenon headlight bulbs that fit my car.

I think that my lights are only about 55w is this right? and do you think the 100w bulbs will make a diffrence. If they do then im still gonna do the mod and uprate the wires, relays and fuses to suit the new bulbs.

Cheers J

Agree with VR6, , in the end of the day, there's no point having 100W Xenon bulbs if youre only getting a weedy sub 12V trickle into them.....am I right Gavin??

Gavin?

where are you Gavin?..........

While we're on the subject of bulbs, I've not actually heard of anyone replacing the inner high-beam bulbs for better bulbs. Always seems to be the normal dipped beam bulbs....

Just wondering why really ... ?

I heard from someone the other day that you can buy an uprated loom. Is this right? and does anybody know where from and how much.

I heard from someone the other day that you can buy an uprated loom. Is this right? and does anybody know where from and how much.

you need to speak to Gavin (H100 VW) on this forum - his looms are very good quality and he has many positive comments. I've got one of his looms on mine and they are a revelation.

Apologies for the late arrival, I only check the portal normally.

You need to wary of going too big with the spotlight bulbs when fitting one of my looms. As the power for the headlight AND spot go thru the same relay on main beam it will exceed the 'safety margin' in the loom.

I would recommend 80/100 H4s for the headlight and 55 W for the spots. Any of the 20-30-50% brighter bulbs are OK as long as they say that they consume the same current. If you are minted, PIAA have some proper smart bulbs that produce nearly twice the output of a std bulb yet only use std current.

Shamless plug :mrgreen:

Anyone else needing a loom knows where I am.......

Gavin

gav any chance of doing me an uprated uprated loom for me...im running 130w bulbd on mine and they are eating my relays :lol:

Exactly what wattage bulbs are you using where? I take it the full beam relay is teh one taking the hit?

Gavin

dazzyvr6, Why the feck are you using 130w bulbs! - no wonder Wales lost tonite, they were probably blinded when you drove home from work :lol:

100+ Watt filament bulbs are illegal for road use. If the headlights come with 60/55s and 55W spots, that is what you must use. You can not only fail the MOT from using them, but also get pulled over by the fuzz. Believe me, you can spot the difference and so can the old bill.

I had a BR Motorsport loom on my old Jetta with 100/150W H4s and they blew regularly. Waste of time.....

100+ Watt filament bulbs are illegal for road use. If the headlights come with 60/55s and 55W spots, that is what you must use. You can not only fail the MOT from using them, but also get pulled over by the fuzz. Believe me, you can spot the difference and so can the old bill.

I had a BR Motorsport loom on my old Jetta with 100/150W H4s and they blew regularly. Waste of time.....

past the mot..2 years running,so no problem there..beeen behind police loads of times so no problem there either..and they are now where near as blinding as the new hid lights

If you ever have an accident where your Insurers will have to pay out, make sure these bulbs aren't in when the Assessor calls as they're grounds for declaring your Insurance Void.

Which then leaves you open to proscecution for driving without Insurance.

Obviously, it's your choice, but I prefer to trace and fix the source of the voltage drop*...

*Earth point 1st, followed by relay, switch and state of connectors in the headlights, to the headlights, to the relay panel and to the switch.

You will be amazed at what difference one of Gavin's looms makes, especially when combined with some uprated bulbs (Osram SilverStars from http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk are top notch!). It's like getting an extra stage on your lights. The old main beam is like your new dipped and the main beam is now like the sun itself. :lol: ok, maybe not quite that good, but you get the idea.

VR6, as far as uprating the main beams go, I'm not sure. I just urgraded my dipped ones (H4s). TBH though, once you get the new loom in the main beam is good enough to not need extra brightness bulbs. It would be interesting to see how much of a difference they make though.

If you ever have an accident where your Insurers will have to pay out, make sure these bulbs aren't in when the Assessor calls as they're grounds for declaring your Insurance Void.

Which then leaves you open to proscecution for driving without Insurance.

Obviously, it's your choice, but I prefer to trace and fix the source of the voltage drop*...

*Earth point 1st, followed by relay, switch and state of connectors in the headlights, to the headlights, to the relay panel and to the switch.

we ALL know where the voltage drop is mike...its the shitty vw wiring

The wires are fine unless broken,

I disagree Mike, have you ever tested the resistance of the wiring from the fuse box to the lights? The copper oxidises and so the resistance increases with age making the headlamps get steadily worse and worse... This is a problem that VW has since addressed by using better quality copper wire so MKIV golfs and most of the more recent cars won't have this problem... The other issue is the distance that the wires are run before they get the electricity to the headlamps... on a high drain item such as headlamps you really want nice thick cables which are as short as possible from the battery to the lights... (I'm sure you understand that this is how Gavs looms works, I'm just clearing it up for other people)

You're right that the earth points don't help, and, IMHO, the main battery earth should be replaced on just about all corrados I've seen 'cos they always get crappy due to not having any insulation on it for the last 10 years or so... :roll: