Sign in to follow this  
mrbeige

Camber and tracking all wrong????

I seem to have bit of a problem.....

I have lowered my Corrado on Koni top adjustables and H&R Springs. In the process iI have abviously adjusted the camber so that it has a little bit of negative camber. Now it handles really well in the dry, but in the wet, when cornering at speed on say a dual carriageway (80mph), it seems like the car is floating, and sliding - very odd feeling and made me poo myself a little bit! :pale:

What's wrong? Do I take it to have the geometry set up properly? Or is it something more serious? The tyres on it are Yoko A520's with loads of tread.

What do you think?

You're camber is off dude, too much negative by your description of it's handling characteristics. Razor sharp turn-in is a classic symptom of running neg camber..... great in the dry as you say :lol: But too much will result in the tyre not leaning over into the corner enough, which will remove 50% of your wet cornering grip.

Take it to a bodyshop for a laser alignment and then it feel like a completely different car - for the better :lol:

Have a similar problem with mine, just had the same suspension set up as you fitted, now my car pulls to the left slightly as if the trackings off....but I've taken it back and they've checked it and it's on 0deg's...they don't know what's wrong, any ideas? :(

tyre pressures? Mine was pulling BADLY to the left after being off the road for the last 6 weeks while I've been rebuilding the engine (again :roll: ) and it turned out that I've a very slow puncture on the left front tyre so it only had 10psi in it.. :| pumped it up and all's straight and well again! :D

If the settings are all OK, it's probably the roads. EDIT - or the tyres as Henny just said!

Cars always pull left into the gutters worn by trucks etc and all roads are cambered to the left for drainage. If it's pulling on the inside lane of a dual at 70, try moving over the right lane and see if drives straight. If it does, it's the roads.....

So long as you're not fighting the wheel constantly, I don't think you have a major problem, especially if the tyre edges aren't feathering. At worst you may have a slight bias to the left which easy to correct and at best a car that tracks dead straight.

My car wearing on the inside edge of both front tyres. I've just installed some lower suspension too but haven't quite got around to getting the tracking sorted.

I take it, that if the tyres are toe'd in to much it wears the inside of the tyre or I'm I talking sh&te??

Timo.

too much camber would also do this Timo., Mine's wearing 'em in the same way 'cos of the way I've had my suspension set up... it means that cornering is really rather positive ;) but tyres don't last very long... :oops:

Na, the camber looks fine. Looks the same as it did before the suspension change. Wish I had taken some pictures of it before and after.

Would too much toe in cause that though??

Timo.

Even the slightest change in camber will alter the tracking. Which will run your tyres off if uncorrected.. I can never remember which toe has which effect but tracking should clear the problem.

Gavin

Nope checked pressures first as I'd experienced that happen before! But thatnks for the suggestion :)

The bloke reconed that one of the belts in the tyre was slightly off centre, so swapped the backs to the fronts, but it's still doing it :(

I watched him do the tracking, 0 deg toe in, -1.2deg camber, which from searchs on here seems right! It definitly pulls to the left though, on roads where I KNOW it didn't before, it's not a lot, I have to hold the steering wheel 5-10deg to the right to compensate (and you know how much slak there is at the centre on a VR's steering! So i recon it's more like 1-2deg), if i let go, it starts to turn to the left :?

What are top mounts like? And track rods, wishbone bushes etc?

Mine tracks dead straight.... it will pull ever so gently to the left if the road surface persuades it, but I'm never fighting the wheel.

The reason mine is so good is because the entire chassis has been overhauled, including rack, tie rods, all bushes, everything.

If any of the front components are worn, alignment tools are just referecing the geometry against a worn / maladjusted part and I've seen a people set tracking on a kerbed portion of the wheel rim, which will also throw the alignment out.

The reason mine is so good is because the entire chassis has been overhauled, including rack, tie rods, all bushes, everything.

Same here - I replaced everything besides the main steering rack body.

Poly bushes all round, new wheel bearings & new front wishbones too. Handled like a bag of shit until I took it to the bodyshop - laser 4 wheel alignment is the answer :thumbleft:

Bottom ball joints & lower front wishbone rear bushes seem to wear the most.

I'm about to join the "all-new Corrado" club myself. New wishbone bushes, steering rack and track rods/ends going on tomorrow.. Hopefully the car will be back to normal finally!!!! :)

Another big bill tho... :(

Well it was fine before I had the new susp fitted, so I stuck with the standard bushes and just put new top mounts and bump stops in. I have just bought a couple of new speedlines so I thought it might be them, but that's ruled out now because I've swapped the backs (which are my original fronts) to the front and it still does it :?

It's not like I'm "fighting" the wheel, i don't feel any noticable force, it's more like the steering wheel has been taken off and put back a couple of splines off centre...if you see what i mean :?

Sounds like there is more people out there with the same problem :o

Right then, I'll book it in at Demon Tweeks on Saturday then to have the geometry set up properly. £45 apparently, is that reasonable?

thanks

Right then, I'll book it in at Demon Tweeks on Saturday then to have the geometry set up properly. £45 apparently, is that reasonable?

Yup, that's about right for a laser alignment.

i had the same thing when i fitted some new suspension. went to B.M.T.R. they did the alignment £40. the car is now going fine. so hopefully will yours :D

I'm about to join the "all-new Corrado" club myself. New wishbone bushes, steering rack and track rods/ends going on tomorrow.. Hopefully the car will be back to normal finally!!!! :)

Another big bill tho... :(

Snap! Mines in on thursday, same stuff. Leaky rack will finally be sorted. £550 all in :( Goes against my principles spending that much getting something fixed, but alas. This time I can't do it meself really.

Hope the steering feels better too, it's fine at the mo but a tiny bit skittish and tramlines into ruts lots etc, not lowered either. Not sure if this is normal or what, I assume not.

Well mine wasn't like that when I got it, so I have to assume it's not normal...

You're having a new rack too then? At Stealth? What's the £550 cover?

Yea, i've had a leaky rack since I got the car in March but has just got worse recently, hence my booking it in. It;s not in a Stealth, a little too far for me being in Leeds!

The £550 covers new rack (quoted at £280ish exchange), track rod ends, geometry set up, fluid and labour at £140+vat.

Well I'll be interested to hear what your experiences are...

I'll be picking mine up on Friday afternoon, assuming Vince doesn't find something heinous under the hood between now and then... :o

Hi all - I've changed virtually everything on my VR too (not the rack) - and the steering still feels vague. Even cruising on the M25, inside lane at about 60, it weaves around. It seems like even small road imperfections can knock it off line and ths suspension (Weitec) seems to have limited travel - quite harsh I would say. It almost feels like the steering is loosely connected to the car - could this be anything else - mounts etc. I'd be really interested to hear if new racks solve this - I am starting to get very frustrated with my handling (oo-err)!