Sign in to follow this  
chuck

20VT conversion

Maybe a bit controversial on here, I know many would say why, when the corrado was created as a supercharged car. Well my main reason would be that they're newer. Less miles and thus more likely to be more reliable.

But I'm seriously (maybe) thinking about this. i need to consider a few pros and cons though.

First how much for a 20vt engine? How much to get installed complete?

What does this do to tax/insurance/mot(emissions without CAT))? Will still probably be an everyday car, so will it be reliable? Anyother mods needed - brakes etc...

Is this a totally daft idea as its a 12 year old body shell that was until recently suffering from various small patches of rust?

Also still need to get the old 16V engine working as this won't happen for maybe several months yet (so any answers to my other thread in the problems section are greatly appreciated :D )

Maybe I'm just churning a few ideas over in my head as I'm pissed off that mine don't go right now, or maybe I'll act on it....

Cheers

Hi Paul

I thought about this 1.8 20V T transplant conversion last year, I was quoted £7000.00 all in. I was going to have an upgraded turbo, 6 speed box and a session on the rolling road which would of produced 300-350bhp. A bit mad, the price put me off.

I was quoted for a straight transplant, remap and rolling road session (when I pulled myself up from the ground after fainting :D ) £5000.00 as an alternative, that would of gave me 200-250bhp. Needless to say my G60 is still a G60 with some mods produceing 216bhp at a fraction of the price.

Hope this helps.

Kevin...

I think that sort of price should have come down quite a lot now that the conversion is a lot more widely available. At a guess!

From what I hear, you should be able to get the whole engine/box/looms etc for around a thousand. Depends on which engine/mileage etc of course. I highly doubt that they would charge a further £4k to fit and tune the engine now that most tuners are ofay with the work involved.

From what I gather it's not an impossible job to do yourself as long as you have the time and some degree of competance.

you'll also need the front axles and rad support to do it right i believe... but thats just from what i've read skimmin posts on the net..

i think you CAN use a G60 rad.. but you're SUPPOSED to use one from a 20vT. dunno the reason, but i read that.

i was thinking of a 1.8 T conversion maybe next year, but thinking of just getting a new car next year

could get the conversion done for about £4k i think as ive had a few quotes, but then others charge more like dubsport , awesome etc

What about volkspeeds conversion that uses the g60 distributor and ecu? that should work out much cheaper as the stand alone management that is normally required costs up to £2000 (motec) :shock: that conversion also does away with those nasty coil packs we are always hearing about. :lol:

Think the DTA stand alone system is a lot cheaper than that and seems to be the most preferable now.

Hello again

I would agree the price should have come down now, Nick Patel states £4000.00 will get you which I presume to be the lower spec conversion, that’s a £1000.00 saving. Just to reiterate, if I remember rightly in regards to the £7000.00 conversion they were going to upgrade the turbo to an IHI roller bearing turbo and the gearbox to a quafe together with nickel exhaust manifold, alloy intake pipe, stainless down pipe, cat link pipe. Coolant, oil feed return and boost pipes, turbo support bracket 440ml injectors, fitting kit and boost controller, both the prices were far too high for me.

Depends where you go, obviously you shop around or are knowledgeable you can get it done cheaper. Myself, I don’t know jack about mechanics, but the guys I know are reputable and for that conversion I would want it done properly.

Kevin…

Hello again

I would agree the price should have come down now, £4000.00 will get you which I presume to be the lower spec conversion, that’s a £1000.00 saving. Just to reiterate, if I remember rightly in regards to the £7000.00 conversion they were going to upgrade the turbo to an IHI roller bearing turbo and the gearbox to a quafe together with nickel exhaust manifold, alloy intake pipe, stainless down pipe, cat link pipe. Coolant, oil feed return and boost pipes, turbo support bracket 440ml injectors, fitting kit and boost controller, both the prices were far too high for me.

Depends where you go, if you shop around or are knowledgeable you can get it done cheaper. Myself, I don’t know much about mechanics, but the guys I know are reputable and for that conversion personally I would want it done properly.

Kevin…

Damn cant edit my post, lol... read the quote one it is worded better.

Mmmm. From what you're all saying it all sounds much too expensive. Was thinking much less. Couldn't really see myself paying £5000 ish for a new engine (albeit kick-ass engine), for a car worth half that if lucky.

This is still a useful thread for anyone thinking the same.

Still thinking about a mod to it though. Simply a head polish and port, and a re-bore to 2.0l. I'm always of the opinion that if something needs fixed (engine is still leaking a small amount of oil from gearbox side), you might as well go the extra mile. :)

i think ur best bet would be to turbo what you've already got. you can grab a turbo off a saab or something and get a manifold and downpipe made... then all you REALLY need to worry about is management. you don't have to run crazy boost... only like 6 or 7 psi... wont blow the engine, but itll give some nice power! just a thought..

mine uses the emerald m3d have done 8000 miles in with no probs and it has the g60 rad and no mods needed for the brakes mine is a brand new A U M with quiffe 6 speed box all new and fitted for 9 grand and it has a lsd a bit steep for moust people but well wourth it no probs for mot right thorw

hope that helps

alan

holly crap 9K,for that much i could have got a VR turbo that will pack some serious heat,above 380hp with some madd tourqe line that will rip the skin of any rice pudding.

holly crap 9K,for that much i could have got a VR turbo that will pack some serious heat,above 380hp with some madd tourqe line that will rip the skin of any rice pudding.

yeah but i would still rather have a 20vt in my bay too !!!

i have spoken to MADDUB and this aint no std car mate and with all the mods carried out iho this is a 9k very well spent ....."shame it wasn't to us ehh !" :lol:

A friend of mine is doing something very similar with a golf at the moment, dialinx are building it for him, last time i asked him it was over 10k spent! :shock: and more to go. Rather put one in a Corrado anyday :D

My mate has a 225 Audi TT lump in his Corrado, built by Stealth (he works there!). He's used DTA management, Rallye Intercooler, and is actually using a Mk3 Golf 16v cable box. Mapped for 265bhp and 298lbs-ft, won sprint class on both days at Inters - 13.5 qtr and 5.1s to 60. :shock: 8)

very nice and fast my 20v turbo will when i finsh be a 2.1 L pob be a T88 and about 700 BHP and nos :D should be done for about 10K more will be quick

and i hope to brake the 210 mph but will have to see

Weve just fitted an AUQ enigne from a seat cupra leon and the 6 speed O2M box ...... we have never attempted any conversion before so i dont think were doing too bad.

We have had to alter the front mount and fabricate our own gearbox mount, we had to alter where the gearchanger goes and are waiting for the drive shafts to come back.

So far we have broken even by selling parts from the G60, but the biggest cost is going to be the standalone ems, currently undecided between dta and motec.

I reckon it will have cost us just over 2k by the time we have the basic 20vt set up.

Then it will be time to save again to get a bigger turbo .....

Amy

i have been running my 20v for a month now and had no problems.i did the convesion myself dew to the prices quote for it.i used the golf agu engine&gearbox with the halltech fully mappable ecu.the engine is standard at the moment & is running at 190bhp&278 nm toque.it uses standard g60 driveshafts,radiator&gear linkages.imade my own front mount intercooler which cost me £190 also made all the indution&intercooler pipes myself,all this just to keep cost down.i am really pleased with the end product & it goes like hell.total cost including buying the corrado was £6000.