Sign in to follow this  
Flo

What do you think of Golf Mk4 GTI 1.8T?

Just wondering if anyones got any experience with the above car. The misses is getting a little larger everyday, and she is now complaining the ride of my 'Rado is actually hurting her!

I have to find a new car by August anyway, as I dont think VW intended the Corrado to be a pushchair and baby seat affair.

Want to stay in the VW brand, and have always liked the 5dr version of the 1.8T GTi. Got about £7K - 8K to spend. My argument is that they're quick, good looking, practical and most importantly now (after years of throwing caution to wind) safe!!!

Anything to watch out for and any owners experiences would be very handy before i hand over my hard earned dough! Any alternatives as well?

leon cupra, you would get a decent one with around 40k for that money whereas you the golfs are better built and hold value better but wont have as low mileage

Great cars, good friend of mine has one, he has not had many big problems, although he has had some.

The Mk4 had a big problem with its windows just dropping down into the door, it happened twice to my friend, cost him a fair bit to put right too but its more the fact you have to leave the car with the window open in efect.

They also have problems with the air con in some form that i dont remember but the fact of the matter is they wouldnt have sold so well if they were a crock of poo!

leon cupra, you would get a decent one with around 40k for that money whereas you the golfs are better built and hold value better but wont have as low mileage

Bear in mind that the Seat Leon has done better in the JD Power survey then the Volkswagen Golf for a couple of years.

I know two people with Mk4 Golfs and the window has dropped into the door in each car! Other than that, v reliable

Yep the MK4 GTI I used for a few days recently also has a duff passenger window. It also has worn front ARB bushes and knackered rear top mounts, all common to the MK4. The heater panel illumination tends to blow quite regularly too.

I wouldn't really say they are quick as such (150 bhp version). They're punchy off the line but they run out of puff quite quickly. Max boost comes in at about 2000rpm, so they're easy to drive round town etc. The engine is quite noisy and coarse aswell, as is the car in general. Something you will notice straight away coming from a VR.

Suspension is very soft and pliant though.....bumps that crash through the C are barely felt at all in the MK4.

If you get the Leon Cupra it's 180 BHP too :D

Build quality is the same really, I have a Leon, my dad has a Mk4 Golf, same car basically. Leon has Audi A3 dash too.

hmmm, even with the window problems that everyone's pointed out, I am still very tempted though. I love the classlessness of the Golf, and I dont think I am coming to the end of my Hot Hatch / Small coupe days yet. Still need something practical though.

PhatVR6, I do tend to agree with you, Mk4s in general are a bit old manny, but I'm not so sure about the GTi, as they still hold a genuine level of kudos amongst young folk.

I will definately look into the Leon though. I always fancied the Cupra R, but a little out of my budget.

Trying to find a low rent lock up garage for my 'Rado too!

i'd go for the leon over the golf anytime! has more power, better spec and cheaper to boot!

what about the octavia Vrs??? it's still vag, but badge snobbery........but hey, if it's ok for plod then it must be good!!!!

I have a 337 (25th anniversary over there) and the window has never dropped on me. I love it (almost as much as my Corrado).

BUT, it comes from the factory with 180 BHP, lowered with stiffer suspension, Audi TT brakes, Recaro's, 6-speed gearbox, 18" BBS RC's, and a bunch of other crap the regular GTi/regular Golf doesn't have.

I have never driven a regular Golf or GTi. But the 337 is an amazing car!

Here she is with my old G60

MVC_003F.sized.jpg

phatvr6 said

mk4 - old mans car.

Old? What's wrong with old?

The Corrado is old and York, where you live, is very old.

I don't consider the R32 to be an old man's car but it has to be said, you do see a lot of pensioners driving around in Silver 1.6s!

I must say that I do quite like the look of Mk4 Golfs, but I've never been in one, let alone drive one.

However, given the choice between the Golf and the Leon, I'd take the Leon...