Sign in to follow this  
too hot

ISV

Started to have problems with the car rcently dunno if any of you guys have any ideas.

The car has started to occaisionally cut out at junctions for no apparent reason.It re-starts without any bother but sometimes when it starts it has a very blocked or choked feel to it and it will not pull properly,this normally goes away after a few minutes coaxing or light revving,if you let the revs drop it dies straight away.

Could this be the ISV I have heard they sometimes go or require cleaning.

How do you clean it out and what do you clean it with?

Is the same ISV used on G60 Corrados or VR6 golfs?

Any ideas?

I had the same problem on my G60 last year I took it off and degreased and cleaned all all off but It didn't cure the problem so I bought one second hand off a bloke who uses the ccgb website and that cured it straight away it sounds exactly the same problem as I had.In the mornings when I started it up it and drove it it would feel like someone was holding it back on the power but but then suddenly go as though nothing was wrong but when I'd pull up to a set of lights or something it would cut out, a bit embarrasing especially as my car stands out quite alot in a crowd!!! I would suggest to try and clean it first and if that dont work replace it with either new or second hand they are the same as the golfs and passats that use the digifant engine I think!

b]corradog60supercharged[/b], Cheers that sounds just like it.What did you use to clean it out with?

I wonder if anyone has one lying around?

b]corradog60supercharged[/b], Cheers that sounds just like it.What did you use to clean it out with?

I wonder if anyone has one lying around?

Carb Cleaner, this may also be caused by a bloked breather pipe. One of the Vr6 pipes has a valve in it , could that be the problem

Ive got a spare one, I replaced mine as I thought it was gubbed but it turned out to be the ECU. £15 and its yours, im in Clydebank so not too far from you.

this is assuming its the same part for 16v's and vr6's.

cleaning mine out fixed the problem. i also replaced my breather pipe. use crab or brake cleaner and hold the isv motor side up, do it a few times and put it back on. if the inside surface of the isv gets scored, its garbage. that's what makes em go to hell.. along with your idle. not too expensive though. good luck.

Looking at your problem again I dont think it sounds like the ISV. Has your battery been disconected recently, if so then you will have to do the ECU reset procedure which im sure someone will be able to post.

Ive got a spare one, I replaced mine as I thought it was gubbed but it turned out to be the ECU. £15 and its yours, im in Clydebank so not too far from you.

this is assuming its the same part for 16v's and vr6's.

I think its actually a different part. :(

ECU reset procedure? Tell me more. Ive had my battery disconnected recently - does this always need to be done or only if youre having problems?

Alot of the time it isn't required, but if you find the car is running rough, stalling, etc, after having the battery disconnected for more than 10 mins - then you may have to do this.

I've had mine disconnected for a few hours and it was fine afterwards - so it just depends!

Not the easiest of things to do:

ENGINE ECU RESET

Disconnecting the Engine ECU from it's power supply will loose the "learnt" values in the memory such as the pre-set O2 lambda values for idle, mid throttle and full throttle positions.

Before starting note the alarm and radio setting codes / set up sequences which be needed for later. Run the engine until the oil temperature is above 85ºC. Disconnect the battery earth for at least 2 minutes. Reconnect the battery earth. (Ignore this disconnection if done above for the Automatic version). Start and drive the car. During the initial 10 minutes since starting the engine, drive the Corrado and carry out several times the following.

1) Drive from 25mph in 4th gear for at least 4 seconds with constant mid throttle (steady gentle acceleration).

2) Drive from 3,500 rpm in 3rd gear for at least 3 seconds at full throttle (hard acceleration).

3) At the end of 1) or 2), allow the Corrado to de-accelerate in the gear with the throttle closed, no brake application.

4) 1), 2) and 3) can be repeated several times.

5) At about 5 minutes, allow the engine to idle for one minute.

After the initial 10 minutes, drive the car normally for a further 20 minutes minimum to allow O2 "learnt" values to be established.

Idle will be complete after 10 minutes. The mid and full throttle values will take upto a further 20 minutes to establish.

ECU reset procedure? Tell me more. Ive had my battery disconnected recently - does this always need to be done or only if youre having problems?

I think its only for vr6's due to the management system they have.

Joe M, I`ll try all of the above over the weekend something`s bound to work!I`ll try to get the part no. off the ISV to check it with your spare Joe.

The Reset procedure ONLY applies to the VR6 Standard chip doing this to the G60 chip could damage it.

the G60 chip has no memory like the vr one

Joe M, I`ll try all of the above over the weekend something`s bound to work!I`ll try to get the part no. off the ISV to check it with your spare Joe.

I just got the ISV out the cupboard and the sticker with part number is missing. What i'll do is get the new one out the car to get the part number and stick the old one back in to make sure it works proper with my new ECU.

Sorry about the delay too hot, unfortunately my engine went bang this week so ive been occupied. The part number on my ISV is 048 133 455 and I havent been able to test it. Let me know if u want it or if u got the problem solved.

Joe M, ihad a look at it today and cleaned it out,don`t know if it has cured the problem.Will take it out for a good blast on Sunday and see what happens.The part number on mine is 034 133 455b,which would seem to be very close to yours.I don`t know if the first three numbers relate to model designation.It would certainly be worth a try,as you`re not a million miles away. :) 8)

According to the Parts list CD the ISV for a 2L 16v should be part 037 906 457c and the Vr6 should be 034 133 455 B

i dont know if theres much difference but could be a problem?

G60Jet, As you say don`t know if there would be much difference,probably just a big stealers con to try to convince us that they are completely different parts.I`ll see how it goes this week and if it still no better I`ll go up and see JoeM,might not be too good an idea for him to see a Corrado running at this time :(

Its strange, when im out in my C I never see any but yesterday I seen 2 when I was getting lifts, a green Storm on a private plate, A something and a black 1.8 16v G reg, both in Clydebank area.

Whats annoying is that the 16v's engine was very noisy and rattley wheras mine was silent before it went.

Did u try the ECU reset too hot?

Joe......A2 GON for the green storm by any chance??

Could be VR6Storm although I'm not sure where he's from.......up north though I think.

Thats Roddy Kennedy I think, hes further North in Aberdeen.

It finishes different, I think the guys actually had it from new and it was the first Corrado I can remember seeing back when I was about 16 or something. It made me want one.

Could be VR6Storm although I'm not sure where he's from.......up north though I think.

only 130 or so miles further up north :D

it was'nt me btw