Sign in to follow this  
rado-steve

Mmmmm weird! Late bonnet on my car????

Hi All,

Was reading Buyers guide earlier. My car is a '90 Valver, but has late spec bonnet as in _--_ with bulge for VR, but has early style bracing underneath?????????

weird, i am sure the bonnet has not been replaced as there are no disturbed bolt marks around the hinges etc etc

any ideas???

It's a fairly straight swap between the two, so could've just been changed without too much disturbance on the bolts.

AFAIK they stopped producing indented bonnets years ago, and VW have no stock of them at all.

Can i just clear this up for my own benefit (sorry)

Early bonnets go down in the middle ---___--- just like a MK2 golf for example

and the late ones go up in the middle ___-------___ is that right.

Its just that mine is a '90 valver and the bonnet goes up in the middle :roll:

I know my bonnets been off in the past cos it was painted black by the last owner to try

and make it look like a carbon item :roll: :roll: :roll:

JBOB, yep you got it m8. :thumbleft:

your c has a later bonnet fitted.

neil.

Cheers mate :D

i'm pretty sure they look fairly similar, i cant see someone splitting the braceing from the bonnet skin and re attaching a new skin, would be tricky and difficult to hide the joing seam, but you never know?

Would i be right in saying that to change the from early to late bonnets you have to also change the front wings............or am i just going mad.

I would have though its just a straight swap no need for wings, after all its only the centre with any difference between them.

AFAIK - the profile of the front wings is very slightly different. Early bonnets don't line up properly with the later wings - not sure about the other way round though.

I wonder where the hell i got that into my head then :lol: sorry !!!!!!

heh he wasnt me was it m8? :lol:

The later wings are slightly wider but AFAIK theres no difference near the bonnet,its only on the arch.I actually have 1 late wing 1 side and 1 early 1 the other!

yup, got a late bonnet on my early G60 and the profile down the wing is identical, it's only the flaredness (is that a real word?!?) of the arch which differs on the front wings (and it's about 8mm difference! :crazyeyes: )

beeftech, the early bracing was symetrical and pretty much a triangle shape IIRC, the later bracing isn't symetrical and has a larger space without bracing over the engine than over the gearbox to clear the VR6 engine. If you've a late bonnet skin with early symetrical bracing, someone's done something a little odd... :|

I know my early G60's had a new bonnet on it (as well as headlight and slam panel) at some point in it's past (even though it's HPI clear) after hitting a post of some description as the dent in the bumper is still there! :roll: :lol:

You'll probably find that if you have a late bonnet on an early car, your car will have had a similar light bump to my Grey G60 and it was impossible to get hold of a new early style bonnet when the accident occured...

So can you fit an old style bonnet to a VR? Or was that the whole point of the change....?
I always understood that the bonnet was redesigned to accommodate the size of the VR6 engine, although early bonnets have been fitted to VR's with limited success.

an early bonnet CAN be fitted to a VR6, but you REALLY need to make sure that your engine mounts are spot on else you'll end up with a dented early bonnet! :lol:

The clearance difference is around about 15 to 20mm difference, but that's enough to help with clearing the VR6s inlet manifold under "spirited" driving on less than perfect engine mounts... ;)