Jim

The "what I did to my Corrado today" thread...

37 minutes ago, James. said:

Holy moly, you really did. Poor thing looks like it’s been run over. Think you can save it ? (not like they’re available off the shelf).

No think it’s beyond repair,knowing the fact they are so hard to come by probably didn’t help, thought I’d figured out how to remove the drivers side without bending it but ended up looking like a banana 😂

Does anyone think this will go back on and straighten up or am I kidding myself ?

59E1CC8C-614C-44B6-83CE-D779328C2EC3.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Cressa said:

Banana will go back on. Mine is exactly the same.

Thanks, one less thing to buy 👍🏻

The worst part of buying is finding the bloody parts, never mind the Corrado tax....

But the cars do look good and stand well 😁

Actually took it past the end of the drive for some V-Power and a 30 mile spin. First time since the end of September!

IMG_3508.jpeg

3 hours ago, tonedef said:

Actually took it past the end of the drive for some V-Power and a 30 mile spin. First time since the end of September!

IMG_3508.jpeg

I opened the garage door last weekend 😂😂

20 hours ago, tonedef said:

IMG_3508.jpeg

One small step for man and one giant leap for mankind ! See your neighbour has one of those oak carports- really good value they are - I have plenty of space on my front garden but reckon it could get knocked back by planning so not sure whether to bother trying. 

34 minutes ago, Keyo said:

One small step for man and one giant leap for mankind ! See your neighbour has one of those oak carports- really good value they are - I have plenty of space on my front garden but reckon it could get knocked back by planning so not sure whether to bother trying. 

If you go for a shallow roof one lower than 2.5m to the ridge, you won't need it.

28 minutes ago, Keyo said:

His drive’s about 4 feet below ours so it’s quite a structure, 3 bays wide, one of which is an enclosed garage. Stairs up the outside at the other end with an office upstairs and he’s got a long wheelbase T5 he parks inside one of the carports.

It was good to get the Corrado out yesterday, can’t see it going anywhere today in this mucky weather though!

57 minutes ago, tonedef said:

His drive’s about 4 feet below ours so it’s quite a structure, 3 bays wide, one of which is an enclosed garage. Stairs up the outside at the other end with an office upstairs and he’s got a long wheelbase T5 he parks inside one of the carports.

It was good to get the Corrado out yesterday, can’t see it going anywhere today in this mucky weather though!

Very nice - I know in the countryside especially  old farm building with outhouses it would be relatively easy to get planning but in the city I reckon they are pretty strict on building in front of the house footings - A double one would be good for me - can buy them flat pack - concrete base- clay tile roof to match the existing house reckon could get it all done for 20K and would solve my car storage issue . 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ENGLISH-GREEN-OAK-TIMBER-FRAME-GARAGE-CARPORT-TWO-BAY-OUTBUILDING-CARTLODGE/183485831496?hash=item2ab89b9948:g:5kcAAMXQoYJSLZY7

Would like to put on here the front lawn never gets used anyway to be honest. Anyone one work with planning and can advise- there are a couple of houses further up 5 doors that have garages in the front of the property line but built in the 80s. 

front garden ..jpg

I’d say speak to planning, print off aerial photos of your house and the others in your area with similar set ups. If you get the thumbs up and have to submit plans do them too big and I’d you get turned down you’ll re submit the smaller ones you actually wanted in the first place even though you’ve compromised 

Just now, Dox said:

I’d say speak to planning, print off aerial photos of your house and the others in your area with similar set ups. If you get the thumbs up and have to submit plans do them too big and If you get turned down you’ll re submit the smaller ones you actually wanted in the first place even though you’ve compromised 

11 minutes ago, Dox said:

I’d say speak to planning, print off aerial photos of your house and the others in your area with similar set ups. If you get the thumbs up and have to submit plans do them too big and I’d you get turned down you’ll re submit the smaller ones you actually wanted in the first place even though you’ve compromised 

Thanks Dox its something I really want to do as it just makes me cringe seeing snow on the older cars- lets be honest  these hail stones seem to be getting bigger and bigger with the change of climate- won't be long in till we get hail damaged cars alike in the USA and OZ. 

At the end of the day these are just government employees with no real axe to grind, your neighbours are the biggest hurdle.

you could always build a temp cover each year with scaffolding lol

59 minutes ago, Dox said:

At the end of the day these are just government employees with no real axe to grind, your neighbours are the biggest hurdle.

you could always build a temp cover each year with scaffolding lol

Like this one I did last year on Victoria square Birmingham - good idea still have the roof sheets 😃 Mind you don't fancy manually handling 3 ton of tube per elevation again as kentledge (back weight) to stop it blowing away  . 

Queen Victoria 1.jpeg

quee.jpg

Queen Victoria 3.JPG

Queen-Victoria-with-Birmingham-Town-Hall-behind.jpg

Edited by Keyo

We have large machine installs at factory first floor level using huge cranes and the amount of vertical bars used is staggering. We have scaffolders on site most weeks internally when working at height, replacing filters, repairing leaks, renewing pipe runs, elevators etc

20 minutes ago, Dox said:

We have large machine installs at factory first floor level using huge cranes and the amount of vertical bars used is staggering. We have scaffolders on site most weeks internally when working at height, replacing filters, repairing leaks, renewing pipe runs, elevators etc

That sounds a good contract for a scaffold company- normally good earners factories. 

5 hours ago, seanl82 said:

If you go for a shallow roof one lower than 2.5m to the ridge, you won't need it.

unfortunately you will - any large structure development in front of the house requires planning permission - unless it was a simple 4 post & a cover setup i think

i know this as i have had to submit plans for a garage 2 weeks ago - a lovely cost of £231 just to apply as well

to the side or rear of the house, whilst also not going past the front line of the house, does not require planning AFAIK

4 hours ago, Keyo said:

Very nice - I know in the countryside especially  old farm building with outhouses it would be relatively easy to get planning but in the city I reckon they are pretty strict on building in front of the house footings - A double one would be good for me - can buy them flat pack - concrete base- clay tile roof to match the existing house reckon could get it all done for 20K and would solve my car storage issue . 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ENGLISH-GREEN-OAK-TIMBER-FRAME-GARAGE-CARPORT-TWO-BAY-OUTBUILDING-CARTLODGE/183485831496?hash=item2ab89b9948:g:5kcAAMXQoYJSLZY7

Would like to put on here the front lawn never gets used anyway to be honest. Anyone one work with planning and can advise- there are a couple of houses further up 5 doors that have garages in the front of the property line but built in the 80s. 

front garden ..jpg

just phone your local council planning department m8 - they were very helpful when i rang mine.

as per my other post though, for a permanent structure in front of house line needs planning permission

6 minutes ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

unfortunately you will - any large structure development in front of the house requires planning permission - unless it was a simple 4 post & a cover setup i think

i know this as i have had to submit plans for a garage 2 weeks ago - a lovely cost of £231 just to apply as well

to the side or rear of the house, whilst also not going past the front line of the house, does not require planning AFAIK

Yep, you're right there. I responded before it was said about being in front of the house. 👍

Garages on the front used to be unusual but seem to see more springing up nowadays, planning rules have definitely relaxed in the last 20 years.

Go for it, worst they can do is say no!

Thanks for the replies chaps I've just got a feeling they won't allow it even though I think an oak garage does not detract from the appearance of a house - even some sun sails would be a huge bonus as the sun can be horrible for an interior. Built these at my old house. Only took me half a day to install- you need to rember to unclip the sails though if there is a bad storm coming or you go on holiday etc or you house might end up in another county. . 

Horse riding poles from the local timber yard

18 mm manilla rope (same as used in a scaffold gin wheel) Marine effect.  

Sunsails off ebay. 

Threaded carbini clips 

Postcrete for pole bases. 

sail1.jpg

sail.jpg

I was looking for ideas for the patio and that looks good, I’ll remember it once we’re finished with the building.

Why not get a local architect to come take a look, they know what will and won’t pass planning. We’re in a conservation area but when the architect first came he knew what we’d need to do from the start and the application went straight through. Always worth the conversation isn’t it.

4 hours ago, tonedef said:

I was looking for ideas for the patio and that looks good, I’ll remember it once we’re finished with the building.

Why not get a local architect to come take a look, they know what will and won’t pass planning. We’re in a conservation area but when the architect first came he knew what we’d need to do from the start and the application went straight through. Always worth the conversation isn’t it.

For sure that is the right thing to do- I will wait in till the economy picks up.  Missed off the list its worth using creocote on the bases of the poles. 

1 hour ago, Keyo said:

For sure that is the right thing to do- I will wait in till the economy picks up.  Missed off the list its worth using creocote on the bases of the poles. 

I've not started to build it yet, but I've got 75mm fence spikes with 8ft posts and sails for a cover over our hot tub. My idea was to be able to remove them when I wanted. I've also got rubber caps with artificial grass glued to them to cover the opening of the spikes when not in use. (They're actually tennis net post covers).