Jim

The "what I did to my Corrado today" thread...

16 hours ago, seanl82 said:

Don't use electrical tape, it will leave residue especially if it gets hot. 3m masking tape (blue) is the best and leaves no residue which is what you've suggested - used by body shops. Comes in different widths too so you can get good coverage.

hi sean - thank you kindly for the input!

that is the stuff i had in mind, i will have a search & get some 🙂

1 minute ago, Cressa said:

thanks cressa

After spotting an oil leak the through one of the pressure switches when the car was getting its MOT I’d ordered both switches plus the temperature sender. Got around to swapping them today and decided to do it without pulling the front end off, just removed the inlet manifold to get a bit of access as I wanted to be back on the road inside a couple of hours.

Swapped both switches OK, overdid tightening the new temp sender and sheared the bloody thing off! Got to get the broken bit out now, pushed it back in the garage and shut the door, drinking red wine…job for tomorrow!!!

I've been there many a time with the VR and other cars - things always work out the next day or so, or at least you can try and figure them out having had some wine, rest and a fresh perspective!

15 hours ago, fendervg said:

I've been there many a time with the VR and other cars - things always work out the next day or so, or at least you can try and figure them out having had some wine, rest and a fresh perspective!

All done today, old sensor back in and ready for another 26 years! The leak was one of the switches anyway.

Car’s washed, waxed and been out for a spin, now under a cover in the garage ready for the daughter’s wedding in two weeks 👍

16 minutes ago, tonedef said:

All done today, old sensor back in and ready for another 26 years! The leak was one of the switches anyway.

Car’s washed, waxed and been out for a spin, now under a cover in the garage ready for the daughter’s wedding in two weeks 👍

There you go - Corrado maintenance requires patience (and a deep pocket)  and all is well in the end - you need to have it as you wait for parts anyway........

2 hours ago, fendervg said:

…..Corrado maintenance requires patience…..

Red wine is useful too 😉

Brilliant that it is going to a wedding. Well done in walking away and going for the wine. Nice to sort it the next day too 💪

23 minutes ago, Cressa said:

Brilliant that it is going to a wedding. Well done in walking away and going for the wine. Nice to sort it the next day too 💪

The eldest daughters’ wedding three years ago was the big push to get the car back on the road after eight years…she drove it to the wedding, the younger daughter sat with her. Nervous time for me waving the car off after all that work!

Not quite so easy this time as there’s a two year old grand-daughter travelling with her mum and of course no isofix in the Corrado!

17 hours ago, tonedef said:

Congrats on the wedding Tony! Corrado would have certainly been a statement there too 🙂

I've always managed to get a small bay seat and the next size up in the back no problem when we had two small ones - once you secure with the seatbelt properly, they are as good as isofix, just more of a pain to move them from car to car - Maxi Cosi was the brand, and the baby seat sat perfectly in the bucket seat in the back.

6 minutes ago, fendervg said:

I've always managed to get a small bay seat and the next size up in the back no problem when we had two small ones - once you secure with the seatbelt properly, they are as good as isofix, just more of a pain to move them from car to car - Maxi Cosi was the brand, and the baby seat sat perfectly in the bucket seat in the back.

Our two kids grew up in the back of a Corrado, they’re 31 & 27 and we’ve had Corrados for 26 years now. Back then it was no problem as there was no isofix. It’s these bloody great big seats that rotate on the fixed base, don’t think they go in with seatbelts, and not sure I want them on my new leather either!!!

35 minutes ago, tonedef said:

Our two kids grew up in the back of a Corrado, they’re 31 & 27 and we’ve had Corrados for 26 years now. Back then it was no problem as there was no isofix. It’s these bloody great big seats that rotate on the fixed base, don’t think they go in with seatbelts, and not sure I want them on my new leather either!!!

Same here - is not possible to get the non-isofix seats any more? We've usually had the isofix in our other "family" car, and normal ones secured by seatbelts in the Corrado - I used to pus a blanket underneath the seat to protect the leather...

Working away in Cambridgeshire Monday to Friday so not not very much Corrado time at the moment. Running late with winter jobs but just assumed the usual position.

IMG_4170.jpeg

21 hours ago, tonedef said:

Working away in Cambridgeshire Monday to Friday so not not very much Corrado time at the moment. Running late with winter jobs but just assumed the usual position.

IMG_4170.jpeg

Looks beautiful, really doesn't look like it needs much doing to it anyway!

2 hours ago, fla said:

Looks beautiful, really doesn't look like it needs much doing to it anyway!

Thanks Hasan,

I just wish it looked as clean under the bonnet, VW seemed to have a knack in the nineties of building engine bays that look scruffy after a few years no matter what you do!

Winter jobs include a new alternator, wheel refurb (looking for suggestions for best place to do this) and a good clean underneath after I had an oil leak coated the engine, suspension and floor pan. Sure I’ll find the usual broken bits to mess with in the meantime too!

3 minutes ago, tonedef said:

Thanks Hasan,

I just wish it looked as clean under the bonnet, VW seemed to have a knack in the nineties of building engine bays that look scruffy after a few years no matter what you do!

Winter jobs include a new alternator, wheel refurb (looking for suggestions for best place to do this) and a good clean underneath after I had an oil leak coated the engine, suspension and floor pan. Sure I’ll find the usual broken bits to mess with in the meantime too!

This is so true - merc sl500 r129 I had few years back the bay had hardly been touched and it look mint- even the audi ones look really clean from the 80 B3/ B4 era. City powder coaters are cheap in Brum £160 a set. They do a factory silver option. 

Edited by Keyo

6 hours ago, Keyo said:

This is so true - merc sl500 r129 I had few years back the bay had hardly been touched and it look mint- even the audi ones look really clean from the 80 B3/ B4 era. City powder coaters are cheap in Brum £160 a set. They do a factory silver option. 

I did have a set for the daughter’s Fiesta ST done a few years ago at a local powder coaters for a tenner each, made a pretty decent job truth be told. Might try them again but wondered if there were places people raved about before I commit.

On 12/27/2021 at 12:54 PM, tonedef said:

IMG_4170.jpeg

That does look like it could belong on a Star Wars film. 👍

On 12/31/2021 at 8:44 PM, Cressa said:

That does look like it could belong on a Star Wars film. 👍

Hahaha, love it!

9020EA0B-49FB-4AE3-9603-AC567896CBE7.jpeg

Put the Corrado back on the road last Sunday evening following a last minute decision middle of the afternoon! Drove it off the drive and ran out of petrol before I’d left the village (fuel had been pumped into the TT when there was a V-Power shortage!). After squeezing about 3 litres of E5 out of the lawnmower I was able to drive very slowly the ten or so miles to the Shell station for £105 of fresh V-Power.

Monday morning with fingers crossed I set off down the A1 the 96 miles to work in Cambridgeshire and apart from having to mess with the brake light switch midweek in the hotel car park have enjoyed a pretty faultless few days away. It’s ready for a wash now but very happy with the season’s first run out!

41 minutes ago, tonedef said:

Put the Corrado back on the road last Sunday evening following a last minute decision middle of the afternoon! Drove it off the drive and ran out of petrol before I’d left the village (fuel had been pumped into the TT when there was a V-Power shortage!). After squeezing about 3 litres of E5 out of the lawnmower I was able to drive very slowly the ten or so miles to the Shell station for £105 of fresh V-Power.

Monday morning with fingers crossed I set off down the A1 the 96 miles to work in Cambridgeshire and apart from having to mess with the brake light switch midweek in the hotel car park have enjoyed a pretty faultless few days away. It’s ready for a wash now but very happy with the season’s first run out!

Congrats mate good to see you out and about in the rado - its vitally important to keep them running  or they will punish you for sure . Any pictures ? 

2 minutes ago, Keyo said:

. . Any pictures ? 

Might get it washed first, a week parked on a construction site has left it a bit grubby!