Jim

The "what I did to my Corrado today" thread...

Fitted a new heater matrix! a day behind schedule as there was a power cut from 10am until 5pm yesterday and i couldnt get into the garage as i have an electric door and no key!!!! Wasnt as bad as i was expecting removing the dash. Quite a steady away job! All went quite smoothly really, dash is all tightened up now, much less squeaky!! overall quite satisfying! Will post pictures up in my build thread!

Gave it a couple of litres of oil, as there is a tiny leak from the sump gasket, and it's also putting out a bit of blue smoke when it gets above 5000 rpm, so it's at the top of the dipstick line now, should give me a bit longer until it gets to the bottom of the dipstick line.

Also took my mate out for a quick half-hour blast in the Peak district (From Sheffield down Rininglow road, out to Hathersage, come out at Hathersage, past the Fox House, then back along Hathersage Road back into Sheffield - http://www.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source ... 8&t=h&z=13) 15 miles... average of 11.9 mpg apparently :lol:

Fixed the fan that stopped working, turned out to be a snapped cable and was cooking my engine so thank feck i found that out quickly.

Washed the car, hoovered and dusted.....

I love my Corrado and woe-betide the person who tries feckin with it........

Fitted a new heater matrix! a day behind schedule as there was a power cut from 10am until 5pm yesterday and i couldnt get into the garage as i have an electric door and no key!!!! Wasnt as bad as i was expecting removing the dash. Quite a steady away job! All went quite smoothly really, dash is all tightened up now, much less squeaky!! overall quite satisfying! Will post pictures up in my build thread!

Be careful of the door not opening one day. My garage has an electric door but also a side door with a normal mortis lock. The electric motor failed a day after the mortis lock on the side door jammed. I had no way of getting into the garage to get the car out... even worse, just a few days earlier my fridge had broken down and I was storing all my milk, etc, in the garage as it was mid winter.

So I had both my car and the contents of my fridge inside a garage that I had no way of getting into. Luckily I managed to persuade the mortis lock to open and could get in that way. But on a garage with no other entrance you'd probably have to smash the main door down to get into it if the motor ever fails.

Also... slightly belatedly (as it was yesterday)... I went to see what may turn out to be my car soon (depending on getting a few issues sorted). Didn't manage to test drive it because it sprung an oil leak and we were both a bit too cautious to risk it :lol: A bit of a pity really as it was a 400 mile round trip :brickwall: Still, the leak turned out to be something minor and should be fixed tomorrow.

I think I'm a bit of a jinx on test drives. So far, while viewing cars, the following have failed (each on different cars):

* Electric mirrors

* Rear spoiler

* Leak from the oil pressure switch

My garage has an electric door but also a side door with a normal mortis lock. The electric motor failed a day after the mortis lock on the side door jammed. I had no way of getting into the garage to get the car out... even worse, just a few days earlier my fridge had broken down and I was storing all my milk, etc, in the garage as it was mid winter.

that's hilarious :lol:

Left the lights on after work, went to pop to the shops and the battery is dead. D'oh!

Just don't do what my mate did...

His Mk2 GTi got a flat battery (he lives at the bottom of a long but not too steep hill), so four of us pushed it up the hill, took 5 minutes... then he rolled it all the way down trying to bump start it... get to the bottom and its still not started.

One of the other guys was in an exhausted rage and asked how were you bumping it...

*shows him putting it in gear and lifting clutch*

That did it, he got in a rage and screamed "YOU'RE SPOSED TO TURN THE F***ING IGNITION ON YOU C***! Don't think I'm pushing it up that hill again"

:lol:

^^^ that is funny your mate not realising the ignition needs to be on... my brother did that to me once. pushed his mk2 a couple hundred yards he stuffed it up so i managed to push start it on my own instead lol.

Yesterday i spent a few hours cleaning the engine bay some more, my ECU was literally living in a wet forest so i scoped loads of crap out the scuttle cleaned the whole area = big improvement. i also removed and upgraded the wiring from the battery to starter/earth to mk3 golf types as they are a much better design. Car now idles FAR FAR better and revs really cleanly - amazing what clean earths can do!!!!!!

Today , i have had the fun of charging around getting a new Ignition switch, new rotor arm and new spark plugs. As you are all aware rotor arm an spark plugs can be done blind folded but ignition switches.... i hate them with a passion. This is the third one i have done on my various VWs and the only one that hasnt required me to remove the whole steering colum - happy days.

Dave

....let my wife drive it solo for the 1st time since I got her 18 months ago. Oh how relieved was I when she (make your own mind up) arrived home in one piece!

Removed the rear wiper mech, quite like it....

Prefer looking at your back end... How is Mincy?

Cleaned all the battery/earth cable connections- they were in a right state.

Gave the engine bay a clean- doesn't look that much better to be honest! :( There was a right load of crap under the battery.

Fitted new battery jacket.

Replaced all the headlight screws (only one broke :lol: ).

Fitted some new strut top covers.

Fitted new smoked crystal side repeaters.

Aww you're making me blush. Mincy is good, although I'm so busy with house stuff I've not had a chance to do all the things I wanted to since I got him back, like the interior clean, clean the arches and sorting the paintwork but still enjoying the drive of the 24v.

Must pop down to see you soon, might drag mrbeige down as well.

Aww you're making me blush. Mincy is good, although I'm so busy with house stuff I've not had a chance to do all the things I wanted to since I got him back, like the interior clean, clean the arches and sorting the paintwork but still enjoying the drive of the 24v.

Must pop down to see you soon, might drag mrbeige down as well.[/quote:3id1rpn8]

That would be good :)

Nearly popped into Cambs the other day, but I was tired, grumpy and needed my bed so took the direct route home. Glad you're enjoying the drive, keep falling in and out of love with mine.

Must pop down to see you soon, might drag mrbeige down as well.

That would be good :)

Nearly popped into Cambs the other day, but I was tired, grumpy and needed my bed so took the direct route home. Glad you're enjoying the drive, keep falling in and out of love with mine.

Aye, that'd be good :)

Mincy looks good with a bare bum ;)

Cheers mate, it was inspired by lilfuzzer at BVF. His VR is looking really sweet with the welded up wiper but I couldn't go that far so Chris' (Vag-Hag) suggestion of a Halford bung has worked quite nicely.

A trip to Toads on the cards then? We'll add it to the list of things to do eh? :salute:

Cheers mate, it was inspired by lilfuzzer at BVF. His VR is looking really sweet with the welded up wiper but I couldn't go that far so Chris' (Vag-Hag) suggestion of a Halford bung has worked quite nicely.

A trip to Toads on the cards then? We'll add it to the list of things to do eh? :salute:

Haha, indeed :lol:

Went to Dundee and back 130 miles. Fuel gauge almost in the red so filled up with BP Ultimate - £57!! Never mind let's use it while we can.

Computer say 33.1mpg and that includes strong overtakes and 70-80-ish mph on M90. Amazing for a 2.9 6-cylinder engine, really. One of the few reasons I keep it.

Today I had to get my car alarm recertified after DirectLine managed to lose my original certificate.

Used a local company called CBS who were really helpful but wouldn't sign it off as they found some issues.

Turns out my boot swtich and bonnet switch weren't working at all, the siren wasn't mounted correctly and the wiring under the dash was all messed up.

Guy thinks it's been like that for ages under the dash and the siren mounting was a temp thing after the engine install as we were in a rush to get out on track at Castle Combe.

Anyway all sorted now and in a turn up for the books I only got charged 1.5 hours labour and I think they spent at least 3 hours on it. Not often you get value like that these days. Highly recommend them to anyone in the Cambridge area. Top job!

Made 5th and reverse brilliantly smooth to get into while trying to see if I can sort 4th seeing as my third has gone amiss...

Sadly forgot to tighten the bolt so I lost 1st... so I gave myself another job for tomorrow!

Made 5th and reverse brilliantly smooth to get into while trying to see if I can sort 4th seeing as my third has gone amiss...

Sadly forgot to tighten the bolt so I lost 1st... so I gave myself another job for tomorrow!

Reminds me of that Alfa that Richard Hammond had on Top Gear, which lost all the other gears...

"Second is nice. It's underrated as a gear" :lol:

i spent the evening taking all the boot carpet trim, spare wheel and rear seats out in order to do some serious cleaning.... all the paint has been polished, carpets wet vac'd and it does look awesome now its done.

As per usual the neighbours think i have lost the plot :nuts:

dave