Sign in to follow this  
CaiosG60 PWR

My gearbox saga (finally finished)

Think the dif on my gearbox has imploded!

The car started to click a little last weak when traveling along. Then over the weekend when reversing the car it was clicking and shuddering quite violently. Took it to my mechanic today, I’d persuaded myself it was a drive shaft or inner cv joint on the way over. Appeared to click most under high torque.

So we put it up on the ramp, in first clutch up wheels spining freely. Everything looked okay around the drive shafts, but still this clicking now and again. He said that he reckons that the dif was mangled. I wasn’t to sure and didn’t want to jump to any conclusions.

Then we needed to get my mates G60 on the ramp to drill out a snapped bottom pulley bolt. :? Went to get mine off the ramp and it just locked up and I couldn’t get it out of reverse either!! Gear stick was stuck solid. So we attached a tow bar to the rear towing eye and started dragging it off the ramp with both of the front wheels locked. This luckly did free the car and I could get the gear stick out of reverse. I’ve driven the car about 1 mile and it drives fine just little clicks now and again. Not even going to try reverse again though!!

So do you agree that the dif is totally shot? :? :x

What gear box shall I put on? Thinking off fitting a MK3 16v for the better ratios. Will it be a strait swap? :-P

put a 20v one in cheap as chips,all you have to do is get some new drive flanges in and then it's a staight swap,supposedly the same ratio's as the mk3 16v box but newer and more available.

Just out of curiosity how loud is this clicking because i get a slight clicking noise now and again?

Nice one Andy, Thought I'd be able to get a 16v cable box from any local scrappie for sod all. Whats the going rate on a 20v gearbox? There's different types isnt there? I know to avoid 6 speed and the ones from Passats but what else? I'll have to see what the guy who'll end up doing it says. He'll probably have a winge at changing the flanges. Whats involved in doing that?

Sounds a lot better idea than mk3 16v though. 20v box should be stronger and lower miles.

marcus when the clicking started it sounded just like a CV or ball joint does when they go. But in reverse it was scary loud and violent. Hole car shudders and with bonet up looks like engines gona jump out of the car!!!

seen the 20v box's go for £100/£200,i think as long as it is of a 20v turbo you should be ok (i'll look into gearbox code's later for you)as for the drive flanges it's just a case of unbolting it (1 bolt down the middle)and swaping it for a 100mm one,swap the slave cylinder's over and then it bolt's straight on 8).the only down side is the drive flanges are about a £120 for the pair :shock: .its a lot better gearchange with the 02J box aswell.

uuuum, sounds a bit more than I was hoping. But it'd be good to turn it into a positive thing for the car. Would be worth the extra cost. :-)

I'll phone around tomorrow and get some prices of things. If you could let me know the part numbers of potential gear box's and the necessary flanges that'd be great. Cheers

So far cheapest is "Breaking VWs" in Huddersfield.

20v 5 speed gearbox £250 or £300 for low millage one

£150 for Corrado 16v cable change.

There saying £20 delivery which sounds good.

Both seam a bit expensive though.

Also £220 deliverd for Golf 16 mk3 (AGC??) from somwhere in essex.

Are ratios in 16v Corrado same as 16v golf mk3? Is it the same gearbox?

A passat turbo diesl engine has just been deliverd to my garage for £300. It looks absoultly mint!! So I'm thinging maybe to phone the people who sent it, MDH and ask them for the gearbox that was with it.

The engine was a AAZ one so from old passat not new one. Dont know what the gearbox code will be. Does anyone know what this gearbox is like? ratios, strengh, etc

Cai? Turbo diesel gearbox will have completely the wrong gear ratios for a G60... :|

Okay, cheers henny. Gears to short on tdi box?

What do you reckon I get? That 20v non-turbo box seams the best value at the moment. Just need to find out if it is the same as the 20v turbo ones.

MKIII 16V is supposed to be as strong as the G60 box and have better ratios than the original G60 one, but I've yet to see anyone show that the internals WILL take the extra horses the G60 kicks out over the 16V over time.... :?

I have no idea about the 20VT ratios, but they're definately built to easily take the abuse a G60 could throw at it...

20V none T boxes, again, I have no idea about, but I'd guess that they're also better built than G60 boxes as they're somewhat newer...

Personally? I'd probably stick in another G60 box as you can pick 'em up pretty cheaply... Give Mike at Golfnutz a ring and see what he's got in stock, he may well have what you're looking for, or know where you can get one... 8)

Are you absolutely sure it's the diff? normally when they go they punch a rather large obvious hole in the outer casing and drop gear oil everywhere... :|

Well, what do you think from reading the syptoms above? (in first post)

The car feels like its getting stuck on something then sudenly free's itself. It is an odd one but with it getting stuck in reverse like that it must be gearbox related. Alough linkage problems may cause it to be stuck in reverse I dont think they would cause the clicking, etc.

I'll give golf nutz a ring. :-) :-)

to me, it sounds more like you've knocked a tooth off one of the cogs and it's floating around inside the box jamming it up every now and then... :|

Aren't the bolts holding the diff together prone to shearing like the mk2 golfs? I had one go and it shot one of the heads through the bell housing and let the gearbox oil soak the clutch. Didn't hear anything, only noticed the clutch slipping and a trail of oil back to my house. Maybe a bolt head is ratling around.

Rpmayne, yeah they are, I was under the impression that when they went they tended to punch a hole through the diff housing, I'd never thought that they may punch a hole internally... :oops:

Sweet!! Seen the one on ebay. Waiting for him to get back to me on organising a courier to go pick it up for me.

Think the one from ClubGti forum is on eBay now too. Email him as well.

Just need to know what flanges I need to get? Andy (20v turbo) said 100mm ones. What size are those on a 20v box and aren’t the ones on my G60 box 100mm anyway? (take them off my g60 box, put on 20v box, sorted???)

you dont want the 20 non turbo. the gear is way too short. you'll be maxing out at 120. .. but you'll get there pritty quick.! and you dont have to swap the flanges over. i've been told.

Q. if you were to get a 20vt box, what flanges do you need to put in. can't you use the flanges from the dead g60 box?