Sign in to follow this  
JimSTORM

Fastest street car ever ??

lol, how ironic they should turn a chavy calibra into that!

Didn't realise they had that same chevy v8 up to 11.5 litres! thats crazy, probably needs a rebuild about every 100 miles.

Have seen a hayabusa turbo bike that will probably beat that on the 1/4 mile tho.

The guy I work with does marshalling for drag races up at Shakespeare (formerly Avon) County Raceway, and knows the guy who runs it - apparently it's a "little bit mental"! :lol:

Im sure I saw a street legal audi coupe do the 1/4 in the 6's at bug jam last year? My memory might not be serving me right tho - hope it is... VAG should always be better than a vauxhall!!!

these type of drag cars are in a different league, I mean despite being road legal, your hardly going to tootle down to tesco in that thing now are you. It gets to the point where the name of the car is less relevant, it's more about the engineering and mechanics.

Best 'real' car I saw was some sick Supra that actually flipped out because it had too much power, around 900bhp or something stupid like that, either that or it was a useless driver, they are rwd tho.

This is an acceleration of something over 2g. I don't understand how it can be achieved. Sure, at very high speeds, where aerodynamics can be used to provide huge downforces, effectively increasing the traction whilst leaving the mass unaffected, then all sorts of accelerations in all sorts of directions can be theoretically possible. But from a standing start to 60mph these aerodynamic effects are minimal and you are relying merely on the downward force provided by the weight of the car to provide friction at the driving wheel/road surface. There must be some very sticky tyres involved here; if they can more than double the friction at the road surface by some sort of adhesive effect, they would also be able to suspend the stationary car upside down on the ceiling.........

1400 bhp is quoted; the turbo-era Formula 1 cars were achieving that in practice sessions, but came nowhere near 0-60mph in 1.25 seconds. Admittedly their tyres and had to last for more than 1/4 mile though.

Best wishes

RB

You need to go to Santa Pod Roger and you'll see why it's very possible....

Firstly, the tyres are very sticky as you say....and very wide. They do burnouts before the run to heat them up and make them stickier.

Whilst that is going on, a Marshall sprays some kind of substance onto the launch area, probably a glue of some kind I suspect.....

The launches are amazing...no spin, no screech, nothing......it's literally gone in an instant and half way up the track before you realise what's happened.

With the Top Fuel cars, the nitromethane fumes sting your eyes and the noise is deafening.....worth a see!

Those rear tyres don't look like you're average Cavalier-in-drag ones, so I'd guess they're proper, super-duper sticky drag tyres on huge wheels.

The best bit in the story is this though:

"the rather handsome old coupe version of the Cavalier"

:lol: Ohhh the comedy!

When I was last at Santa Pod, they were discussing top fuel dragsters over the pa system, the commentator said they hit 100mph in about 1 second roughly as they pass the christmas tree. They do around 300mph by the end of a standing quarter which takes about 5 or 6 seconds. Top fuel dragsters have around 6000bhp.

Absolutely amaizing, for anyone who likes powerful cars, this is a must see.

I went to Santa Pod once or twice a long time ago. The raw power, the level of preparation, the obvious danger, the resonating body cavities, all very impressive.

But, without being casually dismissive about it, it got a bit tedious after a while. I suppose that, like most things in life, you have to be closely involved to appreciate it fully.

Yes, it must be the Evo-stik that they spray over the tyres and road surface that does it. I imagine that the driver's seat can get a bit sticky as well if it all goes wrong.....

Best wishes

RB

Getting back to the fast street car, every Wednesday night at the Dick Turpin Pub on the A127 in Basildon they have a car meet, mainly American muscle cars and hot rods. Sometimes a few street legal drag cars turn up too. When they all leave, most of them go flat out up the A127. A couple of years ago, the first time I went, a Ford Mustang drag racer came out of the car park and by the time he got to where I was standing his front wheels were about one foot off the ground. Not sure what sort of power it was running, but it was very quick, cannot be far behind the Calibra.

Whilst that is going on, a Marshall sprays some kind of substance onto the launch area, probably a glue of some kind I suspect

bleach apparently.

How dare you run down Calibras like that? Who do you think you are? I happen to think they're excellent cars. To slag something off like that raises serious questions about the way this forum is run and I don't think I want to be part of it.......

:lol:

Only pulling your leg mate :D It does look sh1t as you say.....

I think the stuff the marshal throws down is a mix of bleach and water. They put this in the burn out area as its slippery and therefore allows the cars to wheelspin to build up tyre temp.

I'm sure I've read something about the use of glue on the "run what you brung" website.

Aparently that guy with the road legal Audi drag car drove it to bug jam last year.

How dare you run down Calibras like that? Who do you think you are? I happen to think they're excellent cars. To slag something off like that raises serious questions about the way this forum is run and I don't think I want to be part of it.......

:lol:

Only pulling your leg mate :D It does look s**t as you say.....

LOL