Sign in to follow this  
G60Dan

weighted gear shifter

Where are these available? How much? & does it feel much better?

Cheers

Dan

Get the weight and bolt from a 1991/2 onwards passat, don't pay more than a couple of quid. Direct fit to pre 92 selector unit.

To fit the later style full gearbox selector unit which has a completely modified pair of selection levers you also need the cable bracket mounted on top of the gearbox, the cables are the same parts and don't need to be changed.

The weight alone makes the shift forwards and backwards feel heavier and provides more momentum when going into the next gear, doesn't transform the selection but does improve it a bit, worth doing.

David.

I had one bundled in with a load of spares when I got my '91 G60. I don't know why the bloke hadn't fitted it as it takes as long to fit as it does to undo a nut and do it up again! As above, it makes the gearchange smoother although the best thing to do to improve the cable gearchange is to make sure the cables are adjusted spot-on using the special VAG tool. Changing the oil also helps esp. if it's a bit sticky when going from 1st to 2nd when "pressing on" ;)

This cable adjustment you mention, can it be done yourself or would it need a garage to do it, mine requires this to be done as every now and then it gets stuck in reverse and you really need to be forceful to get it out.

It can be done yourself, it's on the top of the gearbox, so relatively easy to get to from the top of the engine bay.

No idea exactly how you do it tho...

I was told that there a special VAG tool (there's a suprise) which you put over the gearstick and then adjust the cables accordingly. 16VG60 adjusted mine when he did a load of work on my car so I'm not sure of what's involved.

I was told that there a special VAG tool (there's a suprise) which you put over the gearstick and then adjust the cables accordingly. 16VG60 adjusted mine when he did a load of work on my car so I'm not sure of what's involved.

there's two issues here, correct alignment of the cables (by adjustment with the VAG tool at the gearstick base) and gear shift/selection on the top of the gearbox, the latter is pretty easy to do (13mm spanner) and you can adjust forward/backward (gear shift) and left/right(gear selection) movement on the two separate cable ends where they bolt to the selector unit, this is just trial and error really and not too difficult to get right, should go forward straight into 3rd with no sideways pressure on gearlever. I'm sure there's more detail on this on the forum if you do a search.

The gearstick end alignment needs the special VAG tool/alignment plate and is best left well alone as it's set at the factory and could be very difficult to get set correctly again if you just fiddle with it.

David.

This cable adjustment you mention, can it be done yourself or would it need a garage to do it, mine requires this to be done as every now and then it gets stuck in reverse and you really need to be forceful to get it out.

I'm beginning to think that's just a trait of a worn 02A gearbox, try reversing a bit more and then dipping the clutch again or rolling forwards a bit when this happens, seems to free it off.

David.

VR6s have a shift weight as standard, and so does Supercharged's 92 G60. It's the big black lump of pig iron bolted to the actuator arm on the box.

Look under the washer bottle and you'll see it.

If you haven't got the shift weight cos your C is made earlier than what Kev has put above, then here's how.....

All that is needed is about 10 minutes, a 13mm spanner and the parts (see list below).

Looking from the front of the car, locate the nearside gear shift cable on top of the gearbox. Before undoing the lock nut, scribe some marks on the linkage so that the parts can be reassembled and adjusted to the previous position after the modification.

Undo the lock nut and the bolt holding the nearside gearchange cable to the gearbox linkage is replaced by the new bolt with extra length to seat the balance weight onto the linkage. This is threaded into the cable end picking up on the square nut and tighten ( 18 ft.lb.). Replace the lock nut with the other new items listed. Adjust the cable/linkage back to the original scribed position and tighten ( 18 ft.lb.).

The gearchange should now feel totally different, almost as if it is power assisted and the cost is about £25 or so using genuine VW parts.

PARTS LIST

(A) 357 711 188A Balance Weight

(B) 357 711 234A Extended Bolt (hexagonal head)

© N 902 920 01 Lock nut

(D) N 904 294 01 Square nut, now N 909 083 01

(E) N 015 401 3 Washer

(NB Parts list has not been checked with dealers for availability at July 2005.)

parts were still available from VAG as of last month... oh, and you don't need the square nut, you can re-use the one that's already on your car... ;)

*goes off to enjoy his nice gearchange... * :lol: :twisted:

ah, just a quick thought... if you're adding one of these to the linkage, get someone to go through the gears with the engine off while you watch inside the engine bay after you've fitted the weight... you may find that you need to re-arrange your main earth strap and possibly the jubilee clips on the P/S pipe as they may catch on the weight, especially going into 4th... ;)

davidwort, Are the gear change cables on the passat the same as the ones on the corrado? If so i'll be able to get one at the scrappy!

btw the passat i saw at the scrappy had that weight on it so could be a cheap source of them

davidwort, Are the gear change cables on the passat the same as the ones on the corrado? If so i'll be able to get one at the scrappy!

btw the passat i saw at the scrappy had that weight on it so could be a cheap source of them

cable part numbers seem to be different for the passat, but they are the same on 2L or VR6 mk3 golfs (smaller engines have rod shift boxes)

Corrado and golf 3

1H0 711 265 shift cable

1H0 711 266 selector cable

passat (1988-94)

3A0 711 265 shift

3A0 711 266 selector

perhaps they're a slightly different length on the passat as it uses a different floorplan?

David.

Thanks mate, which one is the shift cable and which one is the selector cable? the one i need is the one that attaches to the gear lever itself - the front to rear one i think?

Thanks mate, which one is the shift cable and which one is the selector cable? the one i need is the one that attaches to the gear lever itself - the front to rear one i think?

shift is the forward backward movement of gear lever, 'shifting' in and out of gear, it's the right hand cable on top of the gearbox in pre 92 cars or the bottom cable (through the big bracket on top of the gearbox) in the post 92 type, or the one that has the shift weight mounted on it.

David.

Thats brilliant mate i'll be able to get a cable from a breakers now rather than paying vag nearly 70 pounds!

Much appreciated mate.

Located a 2.0 16v Corrado (which i'm assuming is a late car) at a breakers, can anyone tell me if the shift cable from this will fit my '92 G60? Nearly there!

Located a 2.0 16v Corrado (which i'm assuming is a late car) at a breakers, can anyone tell me if the shift cable from this will fit my '92 G60? Nearly there!

yep, like I said above:

Corrado and golf 3

1H0 711 265 shift cable

1H0 711 266 selector cable

all C's have the same part no's regardless of year.

i have the weight on mine..it catches a big fat piece of loom that comes up the chassis leg and down toward the starter...ive cable tied it to a boost hose until i can think of a solution

anyone got a pic down there ? incase my loom is routed wrong