Sign in to follow this  
Dub Style

VR6 3.0/3.1 Conversion

I've seen VR's that have been bored out to 3.0/3.1, firstly how effective is this?, second how much do the pistons cost and who makes them.

Also since the r32 engine has been released it appears that the 2.8 24v has dropped in price is it possible to use same size pistons as the r32 in a 2.8?, as far as i have been told the R is a bored out version of the 2.8 24v

I know that zarman has a 3.1l VR, he's not on here much, but he's on the Corrado Club of Canada forum and vortex quite a lot :)

AFAIK using pistons alone you can only go to about 2960, anymore you will need a 95.6mm crank...which aint cheap, and even then 3.1l is the biggest you can go with an ABV block.

AFAIK using pistons alone you can only go to about 2960, anymore you will need a 95.6mm crank...which aint cheap, and even then 3.1l is the biggest you can go with an ABV block.

I know of a 3.3 12V engine.....

I'll let the owner intervene if he so wishes 8)

I'd like to know how that was done, please tell me more or point him in this direction......

Is that using an ABV block? If so i'd imagine the crank throw must be huge and the thing hates revs?

Nope, you need to consider what you are told and seperate it from the made up shlt then decide what you type :lol:

Nice one Kevin, were you meaning the 3.3L 12 valve in the garage up here or another one?

Chris

can't remember the exact figures but with the ABT crank sat in the garage up here, as nosky puts it, it aint far off 3.1 displacement. With a rebore its heading toward 3.2 ish - depends what rebore and pistons are available...

3135 with 83.5mm

Dazzyvr - whats the pistions you've been quoted - 83.5mm forged?????

I'd like to know how that was done, please tell me more or point him in this direction......

Is that using an ABV block? If so i'd imagine the crank throw must be huge and the thing hates revs?

lightened balanced billet crank revs very well, thanks...........

revs better, smoother and faster than mine!

and i have a 6lb alloy flywheel on

Didn't we work it out to be a 3.3l paul?

The crank is 95.4mm

Pixr2xh/1000x6 is the formula if you have a calc

Chris

3.3VR, stage II charger and the additional gubbins you've bought recently... its going to be one monster of a car when its on the road!

3135 was based on 83.5's - like i say, depends what turns up.... - i would claim 3.3 at 3248cc - bit of a cheeky round-up but what the hell!!!

MMMmmm sweet as, respect for pushing it to the limits.....but staying within recommended tolerances 3.1l is the most you can take it, using 83.5mm pistons is still only just over 3.1l and the block must be getting close to too thin or no?

"The EIP 3.0L features EIP custom high compression forged light weight alloy pistons (turbo version features low compression), tool steel taper wall wrist pins, spiral lock pin clips, street/race ring pack. Rod bolt set, rod bearing set, main bearings,thrust bearings, lower gasket set. (Special EIP E-PROM included to maximize performance). Multiple compression ratios available.

High Compression $2399.00

Turbo $2399.00"

That's not including the price of boring out the block and labor for putting the motor together.

"The EIP 3.0L features EIP custom high compression forged light weight alloy pistons (turbo version features low compression), tool steel taper wall wrist pins, spiral lock pin clips, street/race ring pack. Rod bolt set, rod bearing set, main bearings,thrust bearings, lower gasket set. (Special EIP E-PROM included to maximize performance). Multiple compression ratios available.

High Compression $2399.00

Turbo $2399.00"

That's not including the price of boring out the block and labor for putting the motor together.

i did abit of research into a 3.0 conversion and was advised to stick to 2.9 if your going to turbo it.

i did abit of research into a 3.0 conversion and was advised to stick to 2.9 if your going to turbo it.

Who gave you that bit of infomation? I don't see how the extra displacement can hurt.

There is a guy out here that did a 3.0l to go with his VF. His car got fast...er.

"No replacement for displacement"

BTW...Your issue finally made it to the states. Awesome job on the car!! I don't think we'll ever see that type of work here in the states...at least not yet.

What a pile of twaddle Lee who told you that crock, i don't believe you for 1 minute, it's pile of w@nk, even Vince sells over sized pistons, think before you post, you know better than that!

Chris