Kevin Bacon

The Forced Induction VR6 thread

Does anybody know if the 12v VF brackets will fit a 24v R32?

If not can the brackets be bought? I asked VF how much a kit would be to take my V9 off and put it on my R32 as a stage 1...$2000!!

For a few bits of pipe and a rubbish Giac map, not a chance

Ok having a SC fitted at DG and would like to know if we are going to have a problem? the inlet pipe is being routed through the hole for the carbon canister which has been moved. Dave and Graham think that the hole has enough clearance and i am hoping they are right as i do not really want the panel cut if possible! thoughts?

couple of pics of the install in this area!

spaceinlet.jpg

Inletspace.jpg

Looks about right. I had to trim that hole out a bit because as the engine rocks back and forth, the edge of the panel just saws through any silicon couplers you poke through the hole. It's your call though. Monitor and trim as necessary.

Looks about right. I had to trim that hole out a bit because as the engine rocks back and forth, the edge of the panel just saws through any silicon couplers you poke through the hole. It's your call though. Monitor and trim as necessary.

:D Cheers Kev i was hoping you would answer this for me!!! :salute:

I remember there was a discussion about Holset Turbos before. When speaking to the guys at AET today I asked what they were like. The guys response wasnt to great. He said they are perfect for diesel applications however for the hotter petrol applications they do not last. A brand that they mentioned to be good was Borg Worner.

Holsets are indeed made for truck engines and diesel turbo exhaust gas is a lot colder than a petrol turbo's, so AET are right. But unlike some other truck turbos, Holset are very robust and over-engineered, so can handle it quite well, but for how long is anyone's guess!

Their flow ratings and flange measurements are all in metric and if you fit a Holset to a petrol engine and ring them for technical advice, they won't speak to you. So for me personally, I'll stick to turbos designed for the job thanks :D

They're cheap though, which is why they're popular (especially in drifting circles where turbos and engines lead a hard life) and the inevitable "My £450 Holset HX35 is so much better than a £1100 Garrett Ball bearing turbo" type comments spread round the forums, but it simply isn't true.

:D Cheers Kev i was hoping you would answer this for me!!! :salute:

No worries. You actually have the desirable metal intake there, which has more clearance the than the nasty plastic moulded intake the original kits shipped with! 8) I paid extra for my metal pipe like yours!!

Thx kev if you are BVF you can take a closer look and I would like to take a closer look at at your turbo!

Thx kev if you are BVF you can take a closer look and I would like to take a closer look at at your turbo!

I don't think you'll find Kev at BVF or many other shows for that matter :lol:

I don't think you'll find Kev at BVF or many other shows for that matter :lol:

Yeah sadly I've completely lost interest in the 'scene' as it were. I didn't enjoy the last couple of shows I went to so I've stopped going to them. There's a strange competetive and slightly aggressive atmosphere at some of them these days. And too many "I've got a turbo VR6, listen to me bounce it off the limiter in the carpark" type idiots around to go with it.

There must be at least one show that's laid back, friendly and free of attention seeking twits, surely? :D

I do like this community though and I'll have to make more of an effort to visit some regional meets!

There must be at least one show that's laid back, friendly and free of attention seeking twits, surely? :D

Yep, BVF this weekend...thats if you dont mind seeing Toad in the nud :lol:

Yep, BVF this weekend...thats if you dont mind seeing Toad in the nud :lol:

I've seen more of Toad than I'd like to be honest! :lol:

Is this the show that's at Malvern? I'm on call this weekend, so couldn't go if I wanted to :(

Yeah I find the events like BVF, Stonor, Stamford Hall to be the best as they are a mix of old and new cars and the atmosphere is more laid back and awards are given to the cleanest most original cars not the ones that have just had a cheque book thrown at them by daddy! :roll:

Shows like GTI, Ultimate Dubs, Edition 38 etc are all about the 'scene' where everyone is like "Look at me I've spent £10k on a set of gold coated wheels and I can let someone in a bodyshop do everything to my car once I hand over a blank cheque!" Some damn nice cars though to be fair :lol:

Yeah I find the events like BVF, Stonor, Stamford Hall to be the best as they are a mix of old and new cars and the atmosphere is more laid back and awards are given to the cleanest most original cars not the ones that have just had a cheque book thrown at them by daddy! :roll:

Damn was going to enter mine but dont think rados ever came with steel wheels

Hey chaps,

For those of you pondering about mounting a Bosch 044 fuel pump and the issues with fuel surge, well here's a neat solution.

It's a pump mount and surge tank in one handy box, which holds 1.5 litres of fuel. And because the pump is submerged in fuel, it quietens it down considerably :D With a Walbro GSS340 in-tank pump feeding this setup, you're good for 600hp :salute:

It bolts to the floor where the fuel filter is.

I ordered it from http://www.intengineering.com/ who are brilliant to deal with.

ie_surge_tank.jpg

ie_surge_tank1.jpg

Nice. What are folk using for thier oil return lines? Got everything back on today and went for a run but once at temp the oil return line is leaking at the top end beside the turbo.

Currently its a -10 AN braided line that had a heat sleeve on it.

Yeah the rubber gets too hot, hardens, then splits. This stuff is ATP's high temp drain hose supposed to handle it, but it took about 6 months to go like this and start leaking! I had heat shielding over it aswell.

ATP_HiTemp_hose.jpg

As you rightly pointed out, hardline is the way to go :salute:

This isn't a very good pic, but it's basically 10" of -10 hard line with sleeve nuts, then it's rubber the rest of the way. That's been perfect 8)

Hardline_oil_drain.jpg

Speedflow again was it for the hard line?

Yep. Speak to Fay. She flared the pipe and fitted the sleeve nuts for me. Otherwise you have to buy an expensive flaring tool unless you've already got one!

Surge tank and Bosch 044 installed. It went on easily and I'm chuffed with the build quality and low noise levels of the pump :D Normally they're noisy as hell, but submerged in fuel it's a lot quieter, just sounds like a MK1 / MK2 K jet pump that's tired. You can just hear it buzzing at idle and that's it.

People with 3" exhausts might not hear it all :D

600hp capable fuelling ready to go :norty: