dinkus

The definitive 312mm brakes onto a VR thread

dinkus, s3 with 150bhp... lol wtf... call yourself a car forum moderator!

it sounds like your 90% there... just need some 312 discs (which are only £10 each more than the 288's) and some carriers (which ok at £180 for the pair are expensive .... but think of your breaking!!!)

on a side note... if you have kevs 16" 6 spoke ebay wheels.... didnt he have trouble getting standard 280 brake behind them!?!?

No, no, I call my self a Corrado Forum moderator. I don't deal with this family hatchback nonsense ;) :lol:

The disks I'm not too bothered about, it's the carriers that are the pooper, cos it looks like it's gonna be another £100 for them and as of the 31st I have no job...

And yeah, they're the wheels - I've got some crappy 3mm spacers on them at the mo, so I was hoping that 312's would be far enough out from the centre heel to not need the spacers, but it's just a theory at the mo.

Phone round the Local breakers and see if they've got anything, then wander up and take them off wouldn't be much more than 20-30 quid tbh. If kev's putting 312's on then try your wheels on his C and see if they fit.

hope you mods don't mind me mentioning this outside of the classifieds section, but I have for sale:

golf V6 4 motion 312mm discs, carriers and calipers.

I can supply braided hoses to suit too.

I also have a 288 setup on my own corrado, so if you'd prefer those I'll sell them and fit the 312's to that.

I also have R32 brakes which I was about to fit on the 4 motion, but I could use my boxster brakes I guess.

not really sure what to do yet, I just seem to have ammassed all these parts and don't have enough cars to fit them to!

open to offers on any of the sets (not the porsche ones though)

First off you don't need special hoses, you can use original MK4 hoses

How's that then Jay? My 312 set up came off a Mk4 V6 motion and the original hoses would not connect to the fixed brake line on my VR. Vince fitted Mk3 Golf VR6 Goodridge hoses which worked fine.

I needed 4 washers to get the correct offset on the carriers.

I can't comment on 288s, but the 312s totally transformed the brakes on my VR. I went with 8 groove Pagid discs and Fast Road pads. Excellent bite and response from any mad VR speeds :wink: what the car should have had from the factory....

Although I never got ride of the rather dead pedal (especially first part of the pedal travel) these VRs have. Always bugged me :mad:

As we speak my 312 set up is winging it's way to another forum member in a very large and heavy box :lol:

I guess so, but I would have though all fixed brake line terminals would be the same regardless of model??

Unless the flexi brake lines vary on the Mk4s??

Ooh cool, I saw you had the R32 setup for sale, but 3338389323mm disks are a bit big for me. Can't fit it all in ;) :lol:

What kind of condition are your 312 disks in and are you coming to E38?

Edit: Oh and it'd be sweet to put the R32 calliper on some 312 disks, then you can still cram them under 16's. I don't suppose that Phat wants to break the sets and the 2-pots would be too wide to fit under my 16's...

Sorry to drag this up again, but can anyone give an opinion on if I'm actually going to fit 312's under these wheels? The 280's are pretty cosy in there as it is :?

Anyone going to E38 with 312s? Can we meet up and see if my wheel will fit over your brakes?

Well I've got a spare set of 288 callipers and carriers, but without the 312 carriers, I can't see how I'm doing for diameter, which is what I'm worried about.

i dont think they would go. those wheels... although they are 16s... dont leave alot of room inside.

im away for a couple of weeks.. but presuming i still have the s3 when im back... we could meet and you could try the wheel on mine.

the 312's behind my lovely 18" RS4s

rightfront.jpg

think about it... the disc alone is 3.2 cm bigger than that disc... and the caliper will be the same if not bigger... i think your dreaming trying to get 312s behind there.... stick to 288s

Ah cool, thanks for the offer Nathan, might have to take you up on that when you get back if I haven't sorted something out already.

It's 3.2cm bigger in diameter, but it's only 1.7cm on each side, so they might just fit. It's going to be flippin close either way.

Hmm, might be time to whip out Photochop... :lol:

Um, yes it is :? :lol:

Well I've photochopped it together and it's going to be very, very marginal, so I definitely need to try it out before spending money :?

haha photo shop wont show you anything cause the pictures will have been taken at different distances .... if i took mine from a mile away then the 312s would probably fit behind some nice 8" wheels! :D