dinkus

The definitive 312mm brakes onto a VR thread

Mine were red from out of the box so left them and they look fine, each time the car's washed they look like new so what's the point of painting the bits you want to show off black?

Chris

At last my conversion is starting to take shape!!

Today I managed to get the last caliper carrier bolt undone and was able to size everything up.

Big shiney disks!!! - They are 16s...

img1.jpg

This pic shows the gap which you will need to fill with washers (between the carrier and caliper) and why you will need 5mm longer bolts;

img2.jpg

All that is left to get;

longer bolts

washers

and some brake hoses!

Dinkus - I was thinking of getting some Goodridge mk2 -> mk4 braided jobbies, are they a straight swap?

Managed to source the bolts and washers, although I will check the fit tonight.

I got an extra set if anybody wants and should also be able to get hold of more... probably looking around £6 + P&P.

Fairzy, I'd be interested in a set of bolts/washers. Do you know what hoses are required? I've already got goodridge braided hoses or will I need something different?

Not 100% sure mate, I haven't got to that bit yet!

I think Dinkus has the Goodridge mk4 -> mk2 golf hoses, but I have no idea if they are a straight swap. Which ones did you go for?

Any ideas or a part number for suitable ones would be handy...

Hoses required are MK2 to MK4. Goodridge sell them at £25 pair.

These bolts and washers, are the bolts high tensile steel and regular hex head? The ones Dinkies got are allen headed, which could potentially be troublesome in the future.

Yes, they are high tensile and regular hex.

I just got off the phone to Stealth who told me they do not have any in stock and its a 1-2 week wait.

The part no is SVW0603-2F (2F = fronts only) for a late Golf VR6... and the price is £37.60 + £14 delivery!

Total for 2 front brake lines = £51.60 :shock:

Kev, if you can get them for £25 please can you put me down for a set ;-)

I can do you a pair of VW hoses (MK2 to MK4) in exchange for some bolts and washers needed for the 312 conversion :-)

They'll get you up and running at least. £37 sounds a lot of those hoses. They were defo £25 when I got mine, but I remember Vince saying Goodridge were moaning about breaking up MK4 packs in order to sell a pair of front hoses.....so they must have put the prices up or something.

I've got 2 spare sets of bolts and spring washers and can get more washers if people want them.

The bolts I've got are allen head jobbies but they're 12.9's, not the regular 8.8s. From the sounds of things, the standard bolts are at least 10.9s, so I wouldn't use 8.8s.

Anything over 10.9 will have an allen head on it though.

And yes, you need the braided Mk2 -> Mk4 hoses (take a look at the first post ;) ) - mine were £36 inc VAT from Stealth, but you'll also need the original mk4 banjo bolts (or other 10x10x1.5 ones that you can get online - again, see first post).

I take it 8.8/12.9 relates to the steel compound - the bolts I have are 8.8, could these be unsafe?

Dinks if thats the case, can I grab the other set of bolts off you?

and can get more washers if people want them.

Do you give refunds on old sets, if not I've got some 2.3mm wide washers for sale ;)

If you're getting more washers I'll have some.

I take it 8.8/12.9 relates to the steel compound - the bolts I have are 8.8, could these be unsafe?

I would say so,

All brake components that take load should be rated at least 10.9, preferably 12.9 and use a locking washer or the correct threadlock. - Although getting hex head bolts in 12.9 is nigh on imposible unless you can afford titanium. Do not under any circumstaces use stainless as they are reated less than 8.8.

If you've got a siezed cap head you can get it out using lots of plus gas and a good allen key. Make sure the head is clean and insert the allen key on the sharp cut side, do not use the chamfered end or it'll round the bolt. Then get a long tube to use as an extension, good quality allen keys of the required size (use the longest one you can get your hands on before you extend it with a tube) shouldnt snap ( but if they do they're likely to shatter so be carefull).

This ends the public service announcement :)

Cheers mate - it's stuff like that Haynes doesn't mention!

Haynes don't tell you shit. To be fair, they do assume you buy everything from the dealer, and VW bolts will be 10.9 with the correct threadlock. If only they'd put 312's on the C originaly I wouldn't have had to give myself a hernia fron dinkus' concrete wheels :o