dinkus

The definitive 312mm brakes onto a VR thread

This brings us on to the next issue, what are you doing with your old 280mm calipers and caliper carriers? Pm me with a price if you still have them ;)

I'm hoping the guy left them in the boot of me car, but I'm not gonna be home again 'til Sunday now.

And yeah, the guy fitting them said 'fook me, they are big' when I got them out (the disks, you filthy people).

So are we all getting these off the guy on ebay? :lol:

They get better with time, I wasn't impressed to start off with. Mind you, I had brand new discs but it still took a while for them to get really good. I have standard pads and now metal brake hoses.

I would say they are a little spongey at the start of the brake pedal, but boy do they come on strong not long after that!

No regrets at all. I've had standard, 288 then the 312mm.

Plus they look fecking huge!! :)

T.

That's exactly how I felt about the upgrade from 280 to 288. The reason for the mushiness is there is a slight mismatch in the fluid paths used on the VR compared to the newer cars that have them fitted. E.g. Step on the brakes in a MK4 with 288s and they feel 10 times more powerful than they do in the VR. It's something to do with ABS pump and/or Master cylinder bore which causes the initial vague feeling in the pedal.

Mine are almost there (288s) and others have commented on how mush free mine are compared to their brakes, so I'm hoping that since the 312 is literally moving what I've already got further out, then there should be no extra mushiness introduced....in theory!

Found a supplier of 6mm stainless M12 washers too, so I'll have words.

Found a supplier of 6mm stainless M12 washers too, so I'll have words.

Think a few of us would be interested Kev

So are we all getting these off the guy on ebay? :lol:

I most certainly did too

Think I'm gonna come over to the UK when Tom comes over, and get my mate to do my brakes (and the schrick if Tom has it off before-he hasn't decided yet). So we'll be racing down the M6 to Brumingham.

Single piece stainless 6mm washers sounds perfect.

Its overkill tbh, normal washers will be fine so long as you do the bolt up tightly, and use a sufficient locking method (locktight or spring washer)

Not wanting to p1ss on your parade scruffs, but stacked mild steel washers aren't sufficient to keep the carriers still over long periods of time. A harder metal of a single thickness (A4 marine spec SS in this case) is far better suited for the job.

its not the washers that are keeping the cariers still, they will have very little effect on radial movement, its pretty much down the bolt alone, you could probably get away with floating spacers if you had to. There shouldn't be much in the way of lateral force either.

Fairy nuff, you are the engineering guru :-)

I'd just feel happier using a single thickness washer than several stacked ones. We'll let Dinkies be the guinea pig, LOL!

Fairy nuff, you are the engineering guru :-)

I'd just feel happier using a single thickness washer than several stacked ones. We'll let Dinkies be the guinea pig, LOL!

Agree on that one, single washer is better. If you bought this set-up from new you would get a single piece spacer.

If you guys have trouble getting hold of washers, give me a shout, I'm sure I can get hold of what you need.

The washers I had originally bought were just over 2mm thick, so didn't work. The bodged combo of washers that I've got on there is exactly 6mm though.

Erm, still not driven it :oops: Can't be bothered to re-insure it at the mo. Especially when the Golf is all insured up and uses less go-juice.

I'm gonna cave and take her out for a drive soon though...

Mine is a bit different as I have the complete MK4 brake system with the 312's, but my god do they work, I have yet to need to really stamp on them (much like my old brembos) as they work so well I never need to press that hard!

They certainly haul the car down from "significant" speeds with no problem at all and very smoothly too, no squirming or grabbing.

You will all be impressed I promise. Now fit everything else that goes with them :)

Jay

Flicking through the demon tweeks catalogue I came across a number of brake line adapters. I'm wondering whether I could mate my existing brake line (goodridge) to the mrk 4 caliper using one of these fittings.

Does the vr6 flexible brake line (caliper end) have a female end? I'm thinking I can remove the banjo fitting on the mrk4 caliper and use a male to male adapter with my existing hose. Is this possible? If so what size adapter would be required?

After several long weekend's work I have not finally got my 312s on!!!

First impressions;

Well they are big, really big - in fact they only just fit behind the 16s, but in my opinion look awesome.

In terms of stopping power, I have no idea yet - the brakes are still nowhere near being bedded in, which kinda leads to...

I have bled the brakes with a friends help, using one of the halfords clear plastic tube jobbies and there doesn't seem to be any air left in there, but I've heard that some garages can do a pressure bleed - what's the difference, how much does it cost, and is there substantial benefit??

I appreciate I can ask a garage, but call me pesimistic, but they will only say what gets them the most $$$...

I have bled the brakes with a friends help, using one of the halfords clear plastic tube jobbies and there doesn't seem to be any air left in there, but I've heard that some garages can do a pressure bleed - what's the difference, how much does it cost, and is there substantial benefit??

Pressure bleeding is much faster and you've got less chance of getting air into the ABS pump

I've spoken to the place I found that do stainless washers and they only sell them in boxes of 100.

I've PM'd Daves16v to see if he can help out and I'm open to suggestions?!

I'd rather use a one piece one tbh, but will stack them if need be.

I'll speak to AP racing later aswell as most of their kits are supplied with spacing washers.

What size are the rear discs? Are they smaller than the fronts? If so, could you put your front set up on the rear?

Rears are tiny, 239mm and the calipers aren't that great either.

Some of the MK4 platform cars have vented 256mm discs at the rear so I'll try and find out if the MK4 rear hubs mate up to the corrado trailing arm OK.