dinkus

The definitive 312mm brakes onto a VR thread

The VR feels dead because it has the biggest Master Cylinder of all Corrados. If you increase MC size, you increase the effort required but reduce pedal travel. The ABS system on the VR is accountable for some of the initial deadness too. I would say a bigger Servo (didn't Jay fit a MK4 servo?) would be the better option, or the smaller G60 Master Cylinder, which will reduce effort and the slight expense of travel....but to me the G60 brakes always felt 10 times more bitey at low speeds than the VR. Even that POS Golf MK3 I had superb initial bite but they were shite for high speed retardation, which is where the VR's setup is better.

Jay's got Mk4 everything, so I presume he has a Mk4 servo.

And could be worth sticking a G60 master cylinder on to have a play - who'se game?

Jay's got Mk4 everything, so I presume he has a Mk4 servo.

And could be worth sticking a G60 master cylinder on to have a play - who'se game?

Think Polo master cylinder is the way to go. Think its 1mm small diametre than the C and aluminium. Not complete happy with my setup, i want more intial bite which i'm hoping the smaller master cylinder will give me and the ABS is going in the bin.

daves16v Are you producing these washers and making them available for any of us to buy? If so any idea on price and availability, has anyone sourced the best bolt solution for this conversion?

A20 LEE, which Polo is that off and does it just fit the Corrado servo ok?

Maybe needing one soon but would this one only be for ABS cars?

daves16v Are you producing these washers and making them available for any of us to buy? If so any idea on price and availability, has anyone sourced the best bolt solution for this conversion?

I offered to make these for those who were doing the 312 conversion but if you need something else let me know.

Dave

Think Polo master cylinder is the way to go. Think its 1mm small diametre than the C and aluminium. Not complete happy with my setup, i want more intial bite which i'm hoping the smaller master cylinder will give me and the ABS is going in the bin.

I wouldn't recommend binning the ABS. I'd just drop a G60 one in personally as it's 1mm smaller than the VR's. I wouldn't personally go much smaller than 22mm or you'll compromise the available pressure.

Are you sure it's smaller on an ABS G60 kev?? I'll check the part numbers later... as far as I know there is an ABS MC and a non ABS MC for all Corrado's...

VR6 was always 23mm from the start. The 4 cyl ones are smaller but I don't know anything about ABS and non ABS spec MCs. I think you're just making that up to try and look clever :-)

A20 LEE, which Polo is that off and does it just fit the Corrado servo ok?

Maybe needing one soon but would this one only be for ABS cars?

Read about the mod in the Golf on dubsports 4x4 VR6T(i'll dig it out and re-read). Jeff said i should do it when i spoke to him at GTi Fest. He didn't mention changing the servo.

Sorrry to hijack this thread. I have a G60 (jims old one). I have a set of 288mm vr6 breaks in the garage. About a 3 months ago i fitted black diamond discs and pads and im not too impressed with them. I was wondering how difficult it would be to fit 312 mm discs to my car, bearing in mind its a four stud. I understand that i would need the discs carriers etc. but where would i stand about fitting them with hub adaptors? cheers guys.

312s on, woo hoo! Hopefully the pics are self explantatory but if not, just ask if you have any queries.

Just one mini issue really, based on my install....You may need to lose the splash guards. This is because the TT discs sit 6mm further inboard than the 288/280s. I had to bin mine as the TT discs rubbed on the guards. You'll need the 312 splash guards if you want to retain some protection but f'ck em anyway, stones just get jammed in there with them anyway and getting rid of them gives better cooling too. Just make sure your CV boots are tip top :wink:

Make sure you scrub the hub face good and hard before the disc goes anywhere near it!

Performance? Feck me! These are the brakes the VR should have had all along. I've only done 30 miles and already the initial bite and pedal feel is way better even than the 288s. This I am 90% sure is because of the Ferodo pads I used. The DS2500s are feckin awesome!

As an aside, I learned this weekend that the SEAT Ibiza Cupra and 160 TDI AP Racing 4 pots bolt straight onto the VW hub and also use 312s. £250 each from SEAT. Could be my next mod :lol:

Oh and you will definitely feel the weight of these discs in the handling and steering, it's not a light setup.

So will the 312 spalsh sheilds fit - can't see why not...

Depends if the 3 holes for the retaining bolts line up or not.....want to be the first to buy 312 shields and find out? :lol:

I had the problem with the splash guards too. Panicked at bit when they scraped as I thought I had done something wrong or got the wrong discs :(

Just bent them back a bit and they were fine. Those 312's can really rip your insides braking hard. Only stamped on the brakes a few times. Its rather painful.

T.

Ah yeah, I should have said I just took my splash guards off - I forgot about that :)

My 312s are bedding in nicely now - I braked fairly gently with Supercharged following me on Saturday and I think he browned his trousers :lol:

Kev - those brakes look a bit small behind 17's tho... ;)

Kev - those brakes look a bit small behind 17's tho... ;)

They do indeed MC Hammer, but I've gone from saucer sized 280s to dinner plate 312s tho :wink: Besides, the 312s are heavy enough, don't want any more weight under there!

They do indeed MC Hammer .........

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Can't touch him 8)

My sources also tell me he was in a club in london the next night and kept getting mistaken for Gareth Gates who was also in attendance :lol:

MC Hammer

You're just jealous of my funky lyrics. Yo. :lol:

Gareth Gates was at the Underworld? :?

I've gone from saucer sized 280s to dinner plate 312s tho Besides, the 312s are heavy enough, don't want any more weight under there!

Should have bought a lighter car then you could have solid discs and lost nearly half the weight.