Sign in to follow this  
Stan 24v

VR Lead removal tool (Metal)

I got one of them from German and Swedish a coupl eof weeks back... still bought a VAG plastic one on ebay though to fit to my bonnet stay!!

Ah cool! Someone posted up a link to these a few weeks ago, but the site was asking for £40+

Bargain if you can get them for £20 tho :)

If you're a bit handy with a file and a grinder it's not too hard to make your own. 3/4" copper pipe is perfect size. Or even better if you can come by a bit of thin walled steel or stainless pipe. Like blue peter though get an adult to help when using power tools!

Ah ok, not too bad in the grand scheme of things then. But as Chris says, it's taking the piddle somewhat...

I can't beleive the monkeys on Ebay paying £25+ postage for the VW plastic ones that cost @£10 from the dealer. I keep thinking about buying a batch and flogging them on Ebay.

they were 4.95 a couple of months ago and now vw have put the price up - last one i bought was £12+ plus VAT

Yeah I paid £12 last year, broke on the 2nd careful use. My dad made one in about 10mins from standard 22mm copper tubing, thats already done the job about 5 times no problem!

I got a genuine hazet T10029 from the dealers for £19.74.

So £20 is an OK price.

My dad made one in about 10mins

Blimey, thats pretty damn quick. I've just started cutting one form Cu pipe and its damn fiddly (thanks 2CC it'll be posted back this week I hope!!!). I'm only cutting the one side and i cant get the long slot cut through to allow the lead to sit inside the tool :roll: Any hints?

Drill a load of interlinking holes along the length, or use an angle grinder with a thin disc to cut a slot, and then file it tidy.

Need to hold it in a vice and be a bit carefull it doesn't jump about though, and protect them eyeballs!

Blimey, thats pretty damn quick. Any hints?

My dad clamped it in a vice and hack sawed it from end to end, then got busy with a file, he's very good with a file though, he was trained as a fitter, spent about a year with a file during his apprenticeship! We are thinking about making some from steel, using a milling machine, will keep you guys updated as I still think £20 is a ridiculous price to pay for a ht lead tool.

andy, I should have mine in Cu pipe done this week but let me know how you progress with the steel ones - i'd be interested in that just in case the Cu turns out to be crap.

Drill a load of interlinking holes along the length

Ahhh, of course, used this method sooooooooooo many times elsewhere, just a bit to dim to think of that now :oops: Cheers 2cc.

still bought a VAG plastic one on ebay though to fit to my bonnet stay!!

They clip onto the Jack crank handle when they leave the factory :wink:

i looked everywhere in the boot for the plastic lead remover,and i found it on the boonet stay..seen quite a few others with them in the same place