Sign in to follow this  
stingman123

Whats your average MPG?

I've got a 88k L reg, totally un-modified VR6 and I'm getting @28MPG. Is this normal? I know VR6's are a bit thirsty but this much?

I've also had an engine refit and I know it needs tuning, also my rear tyres olny had 18PSI. This could've been a problem.

Anyone know what I should be expecting on average?

I have got a 94 VR - 3.0

I get 29 mpg

I did a round trip of 350 odd miles the other day and was getting 35 mpg - which included burying the foot in the axminster

If I'm in town, usually around 18-23MPG, depending on how close I can keep it to 30mph, the time spent stuck in traffic, the less the MPG. Usually on the motorway, I get around 32-33MPG.

I've only ever had 35.2 MPG once when I was doing a trip of about 30miles and doing around 50ish MPH.

low to mid 20's on average, but most of my trips are fairly short. high 20's over longer distances and driving within the speed limit.

average according to the 2nd trip thing on the computer shows 25 :(!!!

with a heavt right foot, its way under that, as is driving around town etc.

on the motorways with steady cruising, i can get mid to high thirties.

(btw, the car a 2.9VR with Magnex system and K&N Induction kit.)

my somewhat different G60 (1940cc based on a 1H block) gives me around 30 on my daily commute into manchester and back (60 miles round trip) and has given me almost 40mpg on a long run down south when I wasn't hammering it...

...although when hammering it around Bruntingthorpe prooving ground I got it down to a genuine 11mpg! :crazyeyes: :twisted: :lol:

lol i have a 2l 16v giving about 22 ATM, usually closer to 40mpg

2L 16v with a 1.8 kr flowed head and cams, about 400 miles to a tank which equates to about 35mpg overall, tank to tank full.

MFA is usually a bit more optimistic at around 37mpg, but then I do mostly 20 mile runs on the motorway to and from work plus a couple of miles stop start.

Being 16v and breathing well at the top end it will drink fuel pretty heavily if you hammer it though, or when tootling around town.

David.

Usually on around 30MPG. On a trip I can get up to 35, though the other week it told me I had 41MPG!!! I think there was a glitch somewhere!!!!

I had my last C down to 17MPG on a blast to work :)

Usually about 400 miles to the tank so around 34-35mpg in a 1.8 16v running a twin exhaust cam mod.

Cheers,

Tom

I'm getting silly MPG from my charged VR. 44mpg on a slow cruise following 60mph traffic and about 29 when hammering it. This has happened ever since fitting the last chip :? Not sure why. The VR derives it's MPG from throttle position, MAF voltage, injector duty cycle and engine load.

I reckon the bigger injectors I have use a much shorter duty cycle and it's thrown the MPG. I rarely look at it anyway but it's still annoying as it used to work perfectly.

Having said that, my engine was pretty frugal pre supercharger anyway, I used to get 500 miles from a tank (33mpg) quite easily, which I confirmed with old fashioned calculations. On average I found the MPG function to be 2% optimistic....but it's function is purely a rough estimate.

Try running the real time MPG analyser.

Whilst holding the trip counter reset button in, turn the igntion on, then off, then on and start the car. You now have 8 or so extra functions, toggled by the trip counter button. I think real time MPG is the 4th function....

i've got a totally standard 20l 16v & according to the mfa i'm getting 20-27 mpg or about 200 miles for 30 quid. does this sound about right, seems a bit low to me? most of my time driving is spent in the urban cycle & round the doors so i suppose that wont be helping matters.

gaz

i've got a totally standard 20l 16v & according to the mfa i'm getting 20-27 mpg or about 200 miles for 30 quid. does this sound about right, seems a bit low to me?

gaz

20 litres? That's some over-boring...

My valver gets up to 38mpg on long journeys at a steady 80mph, but this is on the mfa which I find typically is 1mpg optimistic. My long term average is 32mpg, but my commute is literally about 5mins drive, hence me starting to use the mountainbike more. It's amazing how much you save in fuel costs, and how much healthier I feel!

that's probably why it's so crap on petrol! mine must be running like a bag of hammers! think it needs a service & a tune up. theres a surprise, spending money on a corrado!

(chucks in his 2p)

I was paying sttention to mine on the way back home last nite and about half way home of my 20 mile trip i was cruising on an fairly windy a road about 45mph and i was apparently doing 41.3mpg... I got a 1.8 G60. But it is usually around the 35mark.

Wierd:

12 gallon tank

270 miles from a tank

=22.5 mpg

HOWEVER: MFA reads high 20's to low 30's?

I do, however, run a Shabba chip which means it could throw out the MFA?

as soon as you modify the engine, the MFA becomes inaccurate due to not knowing that the engine has been modified... It's only set up to work with the original chip and pulley... ;)

(capacity increases REALLY confuse it! :lol: )

What we need is the good old fashioned vacuum MPG reading..... my old MK2 16V Turbo told it how it was...... 12mpg (when booted) :lol:

I don't know about the G60 but the VR monitors injector duty cycles (among other sensors) to guesstimate consumption, so that could possibly throw it out.

I wonder if H8RRA and ChrisNOS have found the same with their MFAs?

the G60 has got the vacuum pipe, but it still gets confused by changing the chip and pulley, especially when you add in Red top injectors! :lol:

Don't get me wrong... it's not a million miles out, but it's definately nowhere near as accurate as on a standard engine... ;)

Just checked on a different forum and other Stage 2 VR owners are finding they're also getting mpgs in the 40s, LOL, so it's defo cause of the chip and red tops!