Sign in to follow this  
VWci

Does your corrado hit the rev limiter in 5th gear ?

Does Your Corrado Hit the rev limiter in 5th Gear ? in other words All Corrados can rev until the limiter ?

VR6, G60, 16v, 8v.....

from the factory they won't do this...

J-DUB ran out of test track at 140MPH... although, actually, as there's a corner at the end of the 2 mile straight at Bruntingthorpe, I ran out of guts and hit the brakes to make the corner seeing as it was wet! :oops: She was still pulling slightly, but there's no way that it would have hit the rev limiter...

If you can hit the rev limiter in 5th, then you've definately got a different/modified gearbox/engine in there or some seriously small wheels!

Mine can hit the limiter easily in 5th :lol: But it's not exactly standard, LOL!

When the car was shreiked and Cam'd I had the speedo needle resting on the stop and I didn't hit the limiter....... I think the Hen man is right, you need to shorten the gearing or have major grunt to hit the limiter in 5th.

I bottled it at 140mph.. nowhere near the limiter.. Prevoius owner had 155 out of it and I don't think that hit the limiter either,..

J-DUB ran out of test track at 140MPH...

whats the factory quoted top speed for a g60 guys? :)

and just to add,im really not a fan of the gearing in em.

ive got a passat gt 2.0 16v box sat around with a dodgy 5th gear,wonder if it would be any good?

neil.

whats the factory quoted top speed for a g60 guys? Smile

Hmm 140mph, I seriously doubt any standard ones do over 130 tho, the speedo might indicate 140 but on standard wheels thats only gonna be about 130. Mine struggled to do 130 standard...hits 140 on the gps now tho :multi:

I took my last one to about 143 ish, and there was still more to go. It was standard.

It was slow getting there above 130 though.

I'm not 100% sure what the official top speed was, but I seem to remember it was 136mph...

Which bit of the gearing don't you like?

I always found that 2nd was WAY too short which is why I had a VR6 1st and 2nd gear put in when I had Stealth rebuild the box and add the LSD... means I can hit 60 in second if I almost hit redline...

The valver box will probably be a bit longer geared to take account of the valver's higher redline so may work well... have a word with Vince and see what he says (you'll need the number stamped into the box's housing though) 8)

You can just about hit 60 in second in the valver but that is around 7000rpm so not achieveable on a G60 due to a lack of revs beyond 6k.

As such the second gear from a 16v would be a bit useless.

I'm not 100% sure what the official top speed was, but I seem to remember it was 136mph...

Says in the owners manual 225km/h :rambo:

ah, I always get confused with gear ratios Yandards, You're right... 8)

You need a box from an engine that doesn't rev as high, or makes most power low down to get the best outta the G60 engine...

Says in the owners manual 225km/h :rambo:

mmm.... 139.8 mph... funny that's exactly what J-DUB did at Bruntingthorpe! :?

my valver only got up to 125 on a flat road, but i've taken the VR to an indicated 148 *cough* on a track, the rev counter was well in the red at that point and the increase from 130ish to 148 was a pretty slow one.

I've a feeling nosky's taken it further than that when he owned it, and before it was charged.

my old golf 2 gti 8 valve had 120mph on the speedo and it went fatser i think

my corrado g60 says 260 kms but is that unacheavable as standard??

if so why put it there?

Which bit of the gearing don't you like?

I always found that 2nd was WAY too short

the same henny,i dont like the 2nd gear,and the rest feel like theyre just wrong somehow :?

ah, I always get confused with gear ratios Yandards, You're right... 8)

You need a box from an engine that doesn't rev as high, or makes most power low down to get the best outta the G60 engine...

ahh :!:

i also have a caddy diesel 4t code box that i had in the mk1 ??? 8)

my current rado hits the limiter easily in 5th at about 140, my old one would do 155 just under the redline but i suspect that may have had a vr box in it as the rest of the transmision was vr spec.

My 1850cc mk1 would hit the limiter in 5th as easy as it would in 3rd :lol: but that was only at about 120 due to a 1.6 gti box.

Ive had the G60 corrado level pegging with a 2 door cossy when he hit the limiter in 4th @ 8k (and warmed the side of the car up with a 6ft flame) My car was giving all it had in 5th and was sitting at 6k.

Acording to Quaife Speed calculator with the correct ratio's and tyre sizes it was 150.

Gearbox:- t5 cossy box

Tyre:- Michelin all patterns 205/55 x 15

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top Gear gives 23.683 MPH/1000 RPM and a top speed of 189.461 MPH at 8000 RPM

Engine speeds in top gear:-

30 MPH = 1267 RPM 40 MPH = 1689 RPM 50 MPH = 2111 RPM 60 MPH = 2534 RPM

70 MPH = 2956 RPM 80 MPH = 3378 RPM 90 MPH = 3800 RPM 100 MPH = 4223 RPM

Top Speed in 1 gear = 51.379 MPH

And changes into 2 gear at 5261 RPM dropping 2739 RPM

Top Speed in 2 gear = 78.128 MPH

And changes into 3 gear at 5526 RPM dropping 2474 RPM

Top Speed in 3 gear = 113.111 MPH

And changes into 4 gear at 5970 RPM dropping 2030 RPM

Top Speed in 4 gear = 151.568 MPH

And changes into 5 gear at 6400 RPM dropping 1600 RPM

Top Speed in 5 gear = 189.461 MPH

******************************************************************************************

Gearbox:- g60 gearbox

Tyre:- 205/40/r17

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top Gear gives 25.019 MPH/1000 RPM and a top speed of 150.115 MPH at 6000 RPM

Engine speeds in top gear:-

30 MPH = 1199 RPM 40 MPH = 1599 RPM 50 MPH = 1998 RPM 60 MPH = 2398 RPM

70 MPH = 2798 RPM 80 MPH = 3198 RPM 90 MPH = 3597 RPM 100 MPH = 3997 RPM

Top Speed in 1 gear = 30.182 MPH

And changes into 2 gear at 3365 RPM dropping 2635 RPM

Top Speed in 2 gear = 53.815 MPH

And changes into 3 gear at 3792 RPM dropping 2208 RPM

Top Speed in 3 gear = 85.140 MPH

And changes into 4 gear at 4343 RPM dropping 1657 RPM

Top Speed in 4 gear = 117.616 MPH

And changes into 5 gear at 4701 RPM dropping 1299 RPM

Top Speed in 5 gear = 150.115 MPH

******************************************************************************************

Needles to say he still had another gear and cossy went by-by. Stopped for a chat with him later and got some cool respect (at the side of the track of cause)

Chrishill i had 160mph out of it a number of times before and after the charger was on it.

I've had my VR to an indicated 165mph, oh no, Chris that was that car you have :lol: when i was racing Wayne! andway i never hit the limiter from what i can tell but the needle was off the clock and at least at 165mph and was still creeping, i think it would have reached 170mph if i let it.

Chris