Sign in to follow this  
Riley

Please help my g60 - Err where were we? Page 42

ok,i think im right in saying that the bottom cam belt pully has the woodruff sort of intergrated into it (just shaped to slide onto the crank?)

i dunno?

am i barking up the wrong tree? :(

bump for any info for tommorow,i need bed now,although i doubt ill sleep :(

im thinking the backfiring noise in the inlet manifold/isv is the fuel mixture igniting in there?

does that sound about right or am i talking crap? :?

im no mechanic like!

will do m8,thanks!

just about to find out if a m8 of a m8's gota timing light i can borrow.

does my idea sound possible guys? :?

i may try to get a little video if that would help?

cheers,neil.

Neil, do a physical check of the timing. ie #1 at TDC, screwy thru plug hole. Camshaft at TDC. Bottom pulley mark pointing to the arrow on the plastic cover. Rotor pointing to the notch on the dissy.

If all that's good. Then I think you need to look at the closed throttle switch, is it operating and if it clicks is it actually electrically open and closed.

Check the battery voltage with the engine running. My syncro ran parp when the alternator quit and it was just on battery.

Would love to come and help but not got the time, sorry.

Gavin

thanks gavin,appreciate it m8 :)

ok,so ill whip no. 1 plug out,take off the dizzy cap,turn the crank untill the rotor points at a notch?

stick a screwy in plug hole and just slightly turn (rock) the crank back and forth to make sure the pistons at the top of its stroke?

and then check for timing marks lining up.

does the cam pully line up to the right somewhere(if stood at drivers side?

and which bottom pully am i lining up with an arrow? :oops:

thanks a lot so far,does this sound like my problem do ya think?

neil.

Just going back to basics mate.

Notch on inside of bottom pulley should be at the point of the arrow stamped into the bottom plastic belt cover.

There are marks on the cam pully which line up with the front edge of the head IIRC. If evrything is OK then the rotor arm should point to number one plug lead which is markes on the body of the dissy with a notch, at about 2 o'clock.

Gavin

ok thanks again gavin.

i can get hold of a timing light but the guy reckons it wont be that as the timing electronically adjusts. :? i know it does if setting em up wrong?

i still think it could be way too far advanced and when im flooring it the knock sensor is retarding the timing??? maybe and losing power? i dunno? :roll:

timing does baffle me a little,am i not sounding stupid yet?

neil.

right guys,

things arent going well :cry: :mad: :mad: :cry:

i went to check the cambelt timing,went to remove my wheel to turn the engine over with the crank and guess what? ive lost my locking wheel nut :cry: :mad:

i feel like giving up.

i thought fvck it and turned it with the cam :oops:

anyway,with the rotor pointing at no.1(the notch seems more like 12.0 clock?)

the piston was at the top,the cam lined up as (see pic) is that right? 2 dots?

but the bottom pully was off,the line was a little to the right of the arrow?

the weird thing is,when i gave it another full turn,the bottom pully lined up? :? and the cam/dizzy lined up the same as before? :?

please help,im seriously getting down with this...

neil.

:cry: i found my locking wheel nut.

just trying to upload a video to yousendit.com,its 11.7mb.....

Try lineing up the tdc mark on the flywheel through the hole in the bell housing and then check the pulley in relation to the cambelt cover, because the flywheel will be correct but if the pully has moved it will be out.

This is what mine looks like. you need to look realy hard to see the cam belt cover mark.

come on for fucks sake :cry: how long can it take to upload a little vid/sound clip!

help please

thanks m8.

its funny you say that,i looked for a mark on the flywheel,should the line on the fly line up with the bit of metal poking down from the bell housing?

the line on the fly wasnt visible while the dizzy/cam were timed up :?

I would say that your cam was just 180 deg out the first time.

you have checked the Lamda loom, but how old is the lamda?

one of my friends had a simular problem in his mk1 g60, it was traced down to a knackered lamda, the car would have no power and drink juice, do you have an air fuel guage? no matter how inaccurate they are it does give you an idea of whats going on.

What sort of condition are the plugs in? Do they smell of fuel, or are they burnt or do they look fine?

With G60's it is poss that at this stage the fuel pump could be packing it, it happened to a mate of mine there last year and that was sort of simular to what is happening.

Have you tried it in limp mode, with the blue temp connector disconnected i think, see if that makes a difference?

On my flywheel there is an 0 with a line under it like this

|

for the TDC mark, and the 6deg mark is just a line, but is quite hard to see because of the tipex :lol:

ive had enough.

me and my dad looked at the timing again,discovered the cams were a tooth out,so sorted it,fired it up and it was just the fuckin same.

then took it to a mates garage,checked the timing,said it looked good.

told him about the possability of fucked crank pully,yeah maybe blah fuckin blah...

said could also be a sticky valve or dead piston/rings...

couldnt be arsed,so drove it back to the unit,and got the piece of shit sportline out again and drove it home with no insurance.

can i be ar$ed ringing up and swapping insurance yet again? can i FUCK.

heres a little vid of the pile of shit...

sounds well eh?

hey,no probs m8.

i always tend to get problems that no one understands or whatever.

i cant believe how ive stressed to people in the past about vw reliability,when really its a load of shit aint it?

over the years ive had stupid expensive problems with every vw ive ever owned,the mk1,the jetta,the sportline,the rado.

shit tbh.

tea time now eh?

oh no,yesterday my brand new oven blew up and shot the red hot glass all over the new kitchen lino and hallway carpet.

which was nice :thumbleft:

its not your week, my g60 has been off the road for about 4 weeks, just waiting for a ecu and hoping that, that is the problem

good luck m8 :)

bet an ecu wasnt cheap,nothings cheap on these things,theyre hard to work on,theyre just crap.

yep.

pissed off with cars in general and a lot of other stuff too.

ive got my first child on the way,i dont need the fuckin hassle.

i dont know what to do with it now,im not touching it,ive absolutely no money to let anyone else touch it,and i cant be bothered messing anymore.

not had it long,water pump went in the first 2 weeks,little belt on the charger snapped etc etc...and this is after my usual routine of first buying a car....

new plugs/cap/rotor,basically full service,do it all myself to save money.

and what for?

people drive round in pieces of shit,never toching them and they run forever.

wonder how much it would be worth,it drives,just not very well.

body is as usual with me,mint in the true meaning of the word.

loads of receipts as per usual,interior is immaculate,although its grey :pukeright: