Sign in to follow this  
Riley

Please help my g60 - Err where were we? Page 42

called the guy,and he hasnt done the valve stem seals :|

he reckons he checked em out and said they werent hard? so he reused them.

thing is he was just keeping it as cheap as possible for me,

but now im thinking that they have got to be done really,or its pointless putting all these new gaskets on :?

would halfords :oops: have a valve spring thingy? do ya think ian?

neil.

dunno, I've always borrowed my mates spring compressor in the past... Halfords may well sell 'em... they sell valve lapping in kits, so I'd imagine you can get valve spring compressors too...

I'd have a word with a local friendly garage in the morning, they may lend you theirs for the morning if you leave a deposit so you can put in the new ones and get your deposit back when you return the tool... ;)

P.s. the small plastic sleves in with the seals are for you to put over the top of the valve stem where the collets go so that you don't damage the new seals as you put them on... remove 'em after you've slid the new seal over the grooved bit... ;)

You can't leave the stem seals. They cost chuffing pennies. It would be an hour to change them but then you should clean the valves and you have to stop somewhere. If you bought a head gasket kit then there will be stem seals in there.

I bought my valve spring compressor from Halfords years ago. Get one that can be used on 8 and 16V heads. It'll have 2 different sized ends for compressing the springs.

Gavin

ahh! thats what theyre for!

makes sense,cool.

halfords closes at 8pm,so i may have a crack at it tonight yet depending if they have the tool or not.

thanks for your time ian.

neil.

You can't leave the stem seals. They cost chuffing pennies. It would be an hour to change them but then you should clean the valves and you have to stop somewhere. If you bought a head gasket kit then there will be stem seals in there.

I bought my valve spring compressor from Halfords years ago. Get one that can be used on 8 and 16V heads. It'll have 2 different sized ends for compressing the springs.

Gavin

aye,makes sense to change em,especially after finding out the old ones are still in there!

thanks,gavin.

ps:clean the valves? do you mean the stems? how would i do that?

never done it on my own before,fine wire wool? :oops: or not that abrasive?

I get a drill wedged in a vice and then use a broken hacksaw blade, 'just like my daddy taught me' :lol: Mind you that was on a mini, and the valves on them get well caked in carp.

Some heavy emery cloth will be OK, stay away from the seat and the stem where it'll be running in the guide though.

You will need to lap the valves back in too. Get a sticky stick to do that and some grinding paste. Make sure you clean the valves completely so no paste gets in the guide or in the ports.

The young lad in Halfords had no idea what I was after when I asked for one 10 years ago. I can't imagine how you'll get on in the 21st century..... :mrgreen:

gavin

I get a drill wedged in a vice and then use a broken hacksaw blade, 'just like my daddy taught me' :lol: Mind you that was on a mini, and the valves on them get well caked in carp.

Some heavy emery cloth will be OK, stay away from the seat and the stem where it'll be running in the guide though.

You will need to lap the valves back in too. Get a sticky stick to do that and some grinding paste. Make sure you clean the valves completely so no paste gets in the guide or in the ports.

The young lad in Halfords had no idea what I was after when I asked for one 10 years ago. I can't imagine how you'll get on in the 21st century..... :mrgreen:

gavin

fpmsl :lol: aye looking forward to halfords more than anything,well probably baffle each other though! :lol:

so,where exactly do i clean them gav?

just on the faces then?

do i really need to re lap them in? thing is the guy had the head on a vaccum thing and says the seal/seating is now 110%

neil.

Gav, if the head's been rebuilt and had new seats cut (they weren't seating properly before) surely all Riley's gotta do is change the seals? He won't need to lap 'em back in again, 'cos all he's doing is swapping the seal, he won't even have to remove the valves.... or am I missing something? :?

appreciated guys,really thanks a lot. :thumbleft:

do i just clean up the valve faces?

last question i promise!

neil.

cool Gav, I didn't want to dish out advice if I'd missed something... 8)

Riley, when you do the valve seals, do ONE at a time so you don't mix 'em up else the seats may not seal properly... 8)

You only need to clean the valve faces if they're dirty... if the fella who did the head has cleaned 'em, don't bother... 8)

noted,on both counts. 8)

they have been cleaned up.

you can go get your tea now :oops: :lol:

neil.

:lol:

i just got back from the unit about an hour ago.

the new stem seals went in fine,the old ones were knackered as far as im concerned,pretty hard and the valves slid through quite a bit easier than with the new ones.

the cheap shit halfords tool broke too :lol:

anyway,the heads on with new stem seals/camshaft oil seal etc.

got as far as getting the exhaust mani and inlet mani on,cambelt and tensioner (timed up,needs checking and tightening) and left it at that :oops:

we made a couple of hicups that set us back a bit.

so tommorow,all the fuel rail/wiring/pipes etc need to go on,drop oil/coolant etc and p-steering/water pump pullies back on then judgement time. :?:

neil.

off upto the unit i go,even though i feel like crap.

dont think the cold and crawling about on the floor etc is doing me much good. :roll:

neil.

have you any holes, be pin prick size or not, in the ISV hose from the inlet manifold. Mine was doing this sound when i de-boost returned it, and didn't connect up the ISV properly.

Hope you sort it Neil! I have a bucket load of spares for a G60 since I broke it for parts that you can have for free (considering all your problems), ecu, inlet manifold, TB, pipings, hoses, stuff and things.

Paul

fired up straight away.

still the same.

my dads booked it in at vw to go on the computer.

thanks paul,if vw find the fault ill give you a shout on which bits i may need,if anything just to get it right to sell it.

i really dont like the car now,and its making me ill.

It most definatly does sound vaccum related as i said weeks ago. GO PULL the vac hose off the ECU with the engine running and tell me what it does.

anything else i can try/test?

just that it means having to get the cab back out the garage and go back upto the unit.

on one hand ive just had enough of messing and getting dirty,on the other hand its really pissing me off and i want to know what it is.

It most definatly does sound vaccum related as i said weeks ago. GO PULL the vac hose off the ECU with the engine running and tell me what it does.

Oh sorry Darren, haven't read the entire thread, didn't know you'd said it already. :lol:

ok niel... even though it saturday night if you want too.. go to your unit and call me when your there and we can go through a few tests vac etc...

darren thats very kind of you m8,i dont have any credit on my phone though.

suppose its just another fiver on the credit card.....

do you wanna pm me your number m8?

neil.