Sign in to follow this  
G60 Bob

Normal water temp - HIGH oil temp. Is is safe to tune?

Reving my G60 above 5000rpm for any length in time results in oil temps rising rapidly from 106-110 to anything up to 125-130 depending on how long im giving some but the water temp never goes any higher than 100*C.

Oil teps come back down after 5-10 mins of normal driving. Is this normal because im starting to think somthing is reading incorrectly or broken?

I plan to get an oil cooler before fitting a chip and pulley but i dont want to start tuning it from standard if something isnt working properly and end up having my baby go kaboom!

its normal for the oil to get that hot when driven hard for a while, you'l be fine with a oil cooler

Absolutely...

Gavin

My oil temp used to get all the way up to 155 at times. :onfire:

Unfortunately that was shortly before my charger decided it needed a sunroof in it's own casing! :cry:

The person who used to own it had bodged the oil pump with silicone!!! :nono:

At Bruntingthorpe I finally managed to get J-DUB's oil temp over 120 with my mocal, but that was doing flat out sprints up the 2 mile straight and shed loads of 0-60 sprints at the time...

Get a Mocal oil cooler on it or change 5th for a longer gear ratio...

Oh, and lose the lead wellys or you'll lose your licence!!! :lol:

Mine's got to 114 after a motorway run and then sitting in traffic immediately afterwards but that's as high as it'll go with the Mocal. It's only a tiddly cooler as well.

mine never goes over 114 on the motorway,

my mocal is fitted right next to the rad.... has anyone fitted a way of feeding it cold air. or this not really needed, i just replaced my rad and on each side there are black plastic sides that bolt on to the side of the rad to direct ithencoming air straight onto the rad what about removing the left hand side one or something, basically wondered if i got more air moving around the mocal would it reduce the oil temps even more :?:

is the water temp the analog dial on the left? on mine it never seems to go over 70. think its broken. on my other corrado it stayed between 70 and 110. Or is that the oil temp on the left and also the oil temp on the MFA digital??

the analog one on the left of your fuel gauge is water temp, digital one of the mfa is oil temp.....

has anyone fitted a way of feeding it cold air.

Yup! I've got mine where my intercooler used to be with the air scoop that used to feed the intercooler firing nice cold air onto it... 8)

i've just been out and had another look at mine and the only way i reckon i could it is to fit one in the vents just above the splitter but it would deffinately need some kind of guard or mesh to stop anything flying up and straight through the cooler,

Henny- is yours with a standard bumper :?: if it's ok with you might have a look at yours on the 27th, as i'm making a visit to to darren on monday and if all goes well will have the chip and pulley done, so would like to get this little mod done to keep the oil temp down as much as i can...... :D

Thanks for the advice guys - now i just have to save save save!

By the way i meant 5000rpm in each gear :oops: i havnt seen 5000rpm in fifth that many times as the oil temp seems to rise as fast as the speed when going that fast!

JT-G60, yup, standard bumper... the lower grill (the one just above the chin spoiler) should stop most road crap from hitting the cooler directly with enough force to burst it... mine's been there for about 20K miles so far (admittedly on 2 cars now :roll: ) and is fine with no signs of damage to it... 8)

Anyone's welcome to have a look around my car on the 27th... 8)