Sign in to follow this  
veeDuB_Rado

WTF PLEASE HELP!

normally one sure fire way to tell a head gaskets gone is there will be a mixing of oil and water in the engine this creates a mayonaisse-like goo thats thick on the oil filler cap(tho a small amount could just be condensation which isn't a major prob btw)

there should also be a large amount of white smoke coming from the exhaust

your water level will constantly need topping up

oil and water will be mixing in the coolant tank.......tho again this can sometimes just be down to the oil cooler needing replaced

poor performance can also be a sign of head gasket failure

as for driving it..............i would get it in a garage for a diagnosis ASAP...........and would leave driving it to a very bare minimum......otherwise you'll more than likely need the head skimmed and could even sieze the engine if it gets too hot

normally one sure fire way to tell a head gaskets gone is there will be a mixing of oil and water in the engine this creates a mayonaisse-like goo thats thick on the oil filler cap(tho a small amount could just be condensation which isn't a major prob btw)

there should also be a large amount of white smoke coming from the exhaust

your water level will constantly need topping up

oil and water will be mixing in the coolant tank.......tho again this can sometimes just be down to the oil cooler needing replaced

poor performance can also be a sign of head gasket failure

as for driving it..............i would get it in a garage for a diagnosis ASAP...........and would leave driving it to a very bare minimum......otherwise you'll more than likely need the head skimmed and could even sieze the engine if it gets too hot

You say oil will be in the water, and vice-versa, which isnt true, I've had a head gasket blow between 2 cylinders, oil was leaking out of the head, but there was no water or oil contamination!

what was in the fuel can before you filled it up with petrol???

was it damp with condensation or was it open in the garrage and full of spiders?

if it was damp, could explain the lack of drive and jerkyness. if it was spiders could be blocked fuel filter.

TBH It couldve been open but I never really looked into it, as fas as i knew there was nothing in it. My mum told me arlier last time she put in she use a little bit of water to mix it up :lol:

Couldve been a spider in there as there are loads in the shed

You say oil will be in the water, and vice-versa, which isnt true, I've had a head gasket blow between 2 cylinders, oil was leaking out of the head, but there was no water or oil contamination!

but it is true as this can also happen...........i didn't claim that it was an exhaustive list of possible head gasket symptoms and i didn't say that these would all happen together :roll: ..........eg his oil could easily be mixing with the water yet he might not be getting the white smoke from the exhaust

Well I had to fill up just now and took the car

To my suprise its flying, i didnt attemp to go fast but it did, But im still very wary of what went wrong so im not gonna leave it alone.

morning - (tv is playing up again lol) when mine had these sort of probs she would fly 1 min and then loose power mabe 4 miles down the road - or not at all on one journey but on the next lol so if it does this - change the fuel filter (im guessing it doesnt have a cat) just thought i would mention it incase lol - but as the guys say there are many posibilities

Ok Ill try and change the fuel filter then.

Is there any guides anywhere to help me change it?

Simple job, just dont smoke while your doing it!

Just have no idea how to do it

You could start by looking in the "exterior" part of the Knowledge base... ;)

I just took the car for a drive now, and still no change.

It really really judders like it's missing and when in 5th at 30mph it feels like it's going to stall.

Got a feeling it could be the backbox I put on, like I havn't put it on properly because I remember the last backbox went and snapped and it had the same symptoms of this now so I'm gonna give that a check later.

I havn't had the time or the money to get a new fuel filter either.

Gonna need my car running for Saturday because of the Karting in Herts.

Wel I think me ( Actually my dad) has sorted the problem

there was oil in the distibutor and when we cleaned it out good and proper th car seems to be running fine. well im gonna go get a new fuel filter anyway

Thanks for the help guys, i wouldnt have survived!